It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:05 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello,
new member first post. My question is this: If you already have bupe(specifically suboxone) in your system/receptors, is it still necessary to wait as long before dosing again if you have "used" as someone doing their first induction? I am on maintenance suboxone(about 8mg a day) and i haven't had a dose for about 2.5 days. From what I understand after a bit of research on this forum, bupe halflife is 36hrs, therefore I should still have some "on board" yes? I stopped taking the subs so that I could use heroin a couple times like the good addict I am, and I need to get back on track with the medicine. Normally when using suboxone to kick a dope run that has been going for a while I will wait 16-18hrs and not get P/Wds and that is without sub in system. Are my chances of P/Wds lessened because I (hopefully) already have somewhat of a buildup? Thank you for your time and thoughts, I look forward to sharing my experience, and learning from yours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:02 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi Under and welcome! Glad you found the forum. As you said, there's tons of reliable info here! I don't want to encourage the behaviors of doing the back and forth thing with your drug of choice and bupe....it's a bad cycle to get into. I say this not from a place of judgement but from a place of one who's done it too many times to count. And I can tell you that you're just spinning your wheels and it doesn't get easier to break out of that cycle the longer you let it go on. So do yourself a favor and quit it now!
To answer your question...Yes, I think you're right, because I've done it myself. In my experience, if I use oxy or hydro or whatever for a day or two, I'm able to go right back onto bupe as soon as I start to feel the mildest withdrawal symptoms...runny nose, achy legs,etc, in as little as 8 hours or so after I've used an agonist, and I haven't experienced any adverse effects like precipitated wd. To be on the safe side, I'd dose only 1-2 mg of bupe to start with, wait an hour or so and if no adverse effects and still not feeling better, go ahead and dose another 1-2 mg of bupe and so on until your wd has subsided. The problem I've run into is that if I've been on a run of several days of agonist use, it seems to take more and more bupe to get the wd back under control. I assume that's because of the tolerance issue....one of the suckiest problems of being on bupe! It takes a lot of agonist to break through the bupe that has built up in our system, then it takes a lot of bupe to counter the huge amount of agonists we've taken because of that! So as I said, it's a vicious cycle to be in.
One thing to consider is that if you're craving badly enough to use, you probably need to increase your Sub dose. Ideally, if on the right dose, Sub should keep your cravings at bay enough so that the obsession to use is well controlled.
This whole discussion is just another example of how Sub alone is not the answer to long term recovery from addiction. If used as the only tool for recovery, it only goes so far. It will not and cannot cure us.
I hope you're able to use this experience as another stepping stone towards getting your recovery on track. Otherwise, you'll find yourself doing the same thing over and over again and getting nowhere but further into your addiction. Unfortunately, you've got lots of company in this. I'm not suggesting that this will be an ongoing pattern for you and I sincerely hope it is not. But it does become such for a lot of people. And when it does, Suboxone just basically becomes another drug of abuse/misuse for opiate addicts, and in my opinion, that is just another black eye for this treatment modality.
Like many other drugs, it works great for some and not so great for others. If you're able to use it as directed and stay way from your drug of choice, do other recovery work in conjunction, then good for you...stay the course. But if you're one who can't stick to to the plan, please consider doing something different...inpatient rehab, whatever....this is life and death.
Let us know how it goes. Sorry if I came off gloom and doom....I'm just personally disgusted with the whole mess myself right now. I wish I had the answers but I don't. Recovery is just real tough!

Post subject: Wtf
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:26 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Wtf, this is not bluelight