It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I literally just came from a mandatory MAT training given by a STATE agency on substance abuse, loaded with misinformation about Suboxone. For example, "you have to wait 12-24 hours to start Suboxone after taking a full agonist or the naloxone will cause precipitated withdrawal" and "Buprenorphine is a partial agonist because of the naloxone". Everything was about the naloxone & the trainer had no knowledge at all of buprenorphine itself. She even, stunningly, said that Suboxone should only be considered after all other treatment options are eliminated, including methadone and Vivitrol. What?
I'm looking around because I'm new to this organization and others there, including my bosses, have been in the MAT field for years. I'm waiting for someone to say something, which they didn't, so I started raising my hand & questioning some of her statements.
This is a person whose job it is to go to agencies all around the state giving this training, and it counts toward people's ceu's for their licenses. No wonder patients are confused. The so called experts are training professionals with misinformation that they then pass on to their clients. I'm super frustrated right now.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Lilly,

Sounds almost like my psychiatrist attended one of those sessions. He too is abysmally ignorant, but he's an M.D. who calls himself an addiction psychiatrist! Has no idea about bupe's long half life and believes it's a full agonist. I've lost track of how many inaccurate statements he's made. I've become so skeptical , I tend to reject EVERYTHING he says out of hand, and once in a while he's right, so that's even more confusing.

I can understand the Adminstrative State screwing things up...as terrible as that is. it's what they do. But this is man who teaches part time at a well known university.. I honestly don't understand it. I have to say the two doctors I had previously (at clinics) didn't know all that much either, something I discovered later after handing out at the forum.

Last edited by godfrey on Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome to my world and mission! There is SO much nonsense out there... it is very easy to become frustrated and angry. Try to pick the right battles-- i.e. the ones where you have a chance at winning, and where that win would be most likely to translate into greater information for more people.

I comment often in the comments section of articles, and I try to focus on the one biggest mistake, because if you write too much the points get lost. And of course, I appreciate it if you put in a link to this forum after your comment.... most comment sections allow the link, and sometimes I'll write 'disagree? come discuss it here: www.suboxforum.com' or something like that....

Today, a patient shared that she has had double vision for several months, and one of her eye deviates inward. That symptom is called 'abducens palsy' where the 6th cranial nerve isn't functioning well, and can be caused by MS, elevated intracranial pressure, tumors, etc. She had gone to the eye doctor, who gave her prism lenses (like the ones Ms. Clinton wore at times last year), and told her 'it is probably from the Suboxone'. The idea is ridiculous, and reckless- since she could have an underlying condition that is not-yet diagnosed. I've seen many, many similar examples.

Everyone together-- say AARRRGGGHHHHH!