It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Bupe Implant
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:33 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I need to vet!!!!! First, read this:

"Imagine a form of buprenorphine which could not be lost, stolen or sold; delivered a consistent daily dose (could not be overdosed or underdosed); ensured at least six months of medication compliance; had absolutely no risk of accidental pediatric exposure; and would still be effective at treating opioid addiction. Sounds like a miracle, or at least a major step forward, right? Not according to the FDA who earlier this year rejected such an advancement in treatment and for reasons largely unrelated to the medication’s lifesaving potential. Meanwhile, the CDC reports 45 people a day die from prescription opioid overdose.

In April, 2013, the FDA rejected Probuphine®, a new mode of administration of buprenorphine in the treatment of opioid addiction. Probuphine is a buprenorphine impregnated rod that is inserted just below the skin and provides a steady dose of buprenorphine for six months. On September 4, 2013, Titan Pharmaceuticals, the manufacturer, requested a meeting to review the decision with the FDA to urge them to reverse their decision. This medication would fill the needs of an underserved population who desperately need it; and we believe the FDA should reconsider."

####

I am GLAD it was DENIED. I hope it STAYS THAT WAY. Seriously!!! I do not want some implant under my skin! I have been clean for 6 years now. I went from homeless addict to a successful business man.

My issue is THIS: Why, WHY are they so worried about bupe? The potential to overdose on bupe is virtually non existent. There are some merits to the argument, but still. What they NEED to focus on is making these kinds of delivery devices for OTHER AGONISTS mandatory, like methadone, morphine, oxycontin, etc.

How many people have died from suboxone and suboxone alone? How many people from methadone? What about oxycontin?

Sheesh. People have their priorities screwed up. But yes, I know the reason. It's because sub is so damn expensive. It's all about them wanting to make money.

I for one am scared this "fight" over how, when, where, and why to administer sub is going to eventually make it so we can't get it anymore.

I will say though, I am one of these people who sees myself being on sub for long-term. It just works. It takes away my cravings for all drugs, even alcohol. I virtually never experience depression. Based on that, it is hard to see myself as an 80 year old man putting sub under his tongue. In that case, maybe an implant would be nice?

I just hope that if they do approve this implant, it is not made mandatory. But, I have a feeling it will be mandatory.

What say you?

Post subject: Re: Bupe Implant
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If it's approved, I highly doubt it would be mandatory. My guess is that it's just another option/ way to make money and reinvent the same medicine. Birth control comes to mind. There have been so many ways to administer BC, the options are almost endless. Implants, IUDs, Pills, Patches, Shots.. you name it. We have yet to see the FDA take away a perfectly fine oral medication and demand that patients implant a foreign object under the skin.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I totally agree Tiny. I would actually be happy to see an option like this available. Imagine those, like the op, who are on subs long term. I would consider it myself. But, I don't see it EVER being made mandatory. It would be too close to crossing the line of patients rights. Think of diabetes patients for example. (I know I'm on touchy ground here for some...I'm not comparing addiction to diabetes) There are a ton of people who have to use insulin daily. Some have chosen to use a pump to administer it...others still use the old syringe every single day. It's only an option...but a good one to have!

I remember there being a thread started here a long time ago with a poll attatched to it. It asked you to vote on whether or not you would consider receiving the implant. I'll try to remember to dig around and find the link to it tonight. I'd be interested in going back to see the results of it.

The only thing I could think of that would be a negative is if you had an emergency situation. I wonder how they would deal with the implant being in place to receive adequate pain control after surgery? Food for thought.

Q

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

What!?! Offend anyone? I thought us addicts were JUST like people with diabetes and low blood pressure. Haven't we been making that claim for ages now? :wink: :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Buprenorphine is extremly cheap in its base form. These companys are price gouging us. I kid you not , any compound pharmacy can make 100 40mg bup only tabs sublinually dose in wax like outside wraps for 100 bucks and make a profit, I was getting 16mg ones #60 for 28.00 but they wont allow it for "addiction treatment" the fda even sent a notice to all pharmacies and doctors letting them know not to do it.

Now as for the implant here is one mans humble thoughts.

I feel that in market capatlism the age old supply & demand = costs applies here. More options, cheaper costs period! If one fears or doesn't want the implant there are films and tabs, but it appeals to me, I am a bup. lifer. so a month lkong single dosing option is very attractive. But let them approve every form possible and many companys make em..