It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:50 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Sadly I miscarried recently but my brief pregnancy experience taught me a lot about bupe and pregnancy that I'd like to share.
Btw: I'm coping very well with having lost this baby and I'm optimistic about the future and eager to try again. The odds are good.
So here's how it went: as soon as I found out I was pregnant I switched from suboxone to subutex. It felt like it wasn't enough and I had to increase my dose a fair bit. At first I assumed it was the subutex itself that was the problem but I had been on subutex before without having this problem, so I doubt it.
So, throughout the time I was pregnant I never really felt particularly stable on my dose. I'm on a pretty low dose so even a slight variation is easily noticeable. I almost doubled my dose while pregnant.
The baby's heart never started beating at 6 weeks but I didn't find out until my 10 week scan. I opted to wait it out, although every day of waiting was difficult. Finally, at 11.5 weeks my body completed the miscarriage. The very next day my subutex felt quite strong and the day after than I decided to reduce.
As I am on a low dose I tend to split it throughout the day as it just doesn't last 24 hours anymore. Each time, I just had a bit less than usual and I just took a little more each time I felt any discomfort.
By the end of the first day, I'd only taken about half my usual dose! Back to just under what I'd been on prior to getting pregnant. I continued this over the next few days and comfortably ended up decreasing my daily dose by about 30% altogether. 4 days later, I feel like I could easily reduce further.

Clearly, for me, I don't absorb as much bupe while pregnant. Trying to reduce my dose while pregnant would've been awful! If I don't get pregnant again for a few months I'm hoping to be able to come off altogether but if I do get pregnant again quickly, I'm sure I'll almost certainly be increasing my dose to cope while pregnant.
The trying to get pregnant bit is fun too :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:02 pm 

Veg I'm so so sorry for ur miscarriage! I know ur coping ok but want u to know I'm sorry and ur one tuff cookie! And yes girl, keep trying and enjoy it :)

Thank u so much for coming and sharing what u learned throughout ur experience and please keep us updated on if ur future babies!

Good luck!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm sorry as well. Just to clarify, the changes you notices probably were not from changes in absorption, but instead from changes in metabolism of buprenorphine. You probably took it in just fine, absorbing the drug through mucous membranes in your mouth... but your liver increase the activity of enzymes that break down buprenorphine. That is a very common occurence in pregnant methadone patients; the effects of pregnancy on buprenorphine metabolism have not been studied as much.