It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:31 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

My P DOC prescribed BUP Patch 5 mcg to help alleviate depression symptoms. I have a long history of hospitalizations [ twice] , ect, a about 10 different meds in various combo. I did vitamin therapy. Also I bought a gadget that send shocks through the earlobe.
I have not tried maos or tricilicals yet. I am 50 years old, with no drug abuse history. tHE the few times I got pain meds for injuries etc, my depression completly lifted, whether it be codiene or percocets products. I felt normal on them.

Anyway, my PDOC tells me within 6 months to a year, a bup patch or a close cousin toit will be allowed to be prescribed for depression! this is great news.
Meanwhile I have a scipt filled for a bup patch but have not yet used it yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:12 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

This is really interesting!

I know what you mean when you say opiates lifted your depression and made you feel normal. Me too. Thats why I kept uaing them and became addicted. Then the normal feeling you used to get turns into a battle to stay well and not kill yourself. Im so glad you avoided that trap and have no addiction history.

Bup is different though.....you dont have to keep increasing your dose for it to be effective. (Althoufh does that apply on really low doses?)

Anyway, I would be really interested on how this works for you. Why havent you tried it yet?
Let us know how it goes. Im glad you have a doctor willing to work with you and try new/nonstandard treatments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:20 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

The electric shock to the earlobes you mentioned I tried too - it's "Alpha Stim". It's for depression and anxiety and I had GREAT results from it. It relaxed me SOOO much. It's too bad it didn't help you.

I hope you get some results soon with the Butrans. It's my understanding the the 5 mcg patch is equal to about 2 mg of suboxone.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's an interesting progression in psych treatment IMO, using buprenorphine to treat depression. I'm definitely one of the sceptics, given that I'm on a high dose of buprenorphine and still have to endure periods of bad depression. However I have no doubt that, for those with no tolerance, opioids of any kind (heroin / morphine / buprenorphine / methadone / oxycodone) will deliver good relief to their depressive symptoms. Where I have my doubts is whether the effect will be maintained once the tolerance rises. ie in my case, my tolerance matches my dose of Sub ... so I don't get any relief if I'm depressed when I take my dose.

It'd be interesting to see how long the studies into it have lasted. To really know if buprenorphine has longevity the study would need to be long enough in duration that the subjects become tolerant to the mu-agonist effect, because the only anti-depressant maintenance comes from the kappa antagonism. A study that goes for a month or two months could easily claim awesome results based on the mu receptor agonist effect ("stoning" effect) but they could say the same for heroin.

Is there any reason you're trying buprenorphine before experimenting with tricyclics or supplementing anti-depressents with lithium? At least with those options you can stop them relatively easily if you find they don't work. I'm no doctor, but I wouldn't label myself treatment resistant before I'd tried all types of treatment.