It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Bunavail
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:30 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey all,
I have been on Suboxone for 3 years and am officially in maintneance. I recenlty made the switch from Suboxone to Bunavail. After 3 months on Bunavail, I am highly impressed. Granted, there is a learning curve and some practice required but once you get it down, you will never look back! Frankly, it has been a while since I have been on this Forum and I am frankly suprised at how little discussion there is about Bunavail. I am especially suprised that Dr. Jefferey Junig has failed to address this medicine on via Talkzone article. I understand he is not a Reckitt fan, nor am I. At one time I remember he discussing a name change to this forum/his blog to be more Buprenorphine related as several new products about about to hit the market. The fact is, Reckitt is attempting to sale their Suboxone and pharacy division as they to see that the writing is on the wall.

Bunavail has 1/2 the Buprenorphine as Suboxone but claims to have double the absoption. While in the waiting room last week for my appointent, I was talking to another patient who made the switch and both of us far prefer Bunavail. In fact, we believe we were not getting the absoption Suboxone advertized as since being on Bunavail, it is effective that sometime we forget to take our second dose until several hours later then normal! "Suboxone, when will I dose, how many do I have left, etc" are simply not on our minds. I am insured so this is irrelevant but Bunavail cost less to cash payers. In fact they give you your first 2 weeks to free! I assume this is to allow you to try it before making the switch and to allow insurance preauthorization. BDSI, the makers of Bunavail are not spending the money marketing like Suboxone. Instead, I have read that gthey hired a super star number of Drug Reps (many former Suboxone Reps) that are visiting Doctor by Doctor and educating them about this med. If a Doctor prescribes it, they are visiting the local Pharmacies and offering incentives for them to inventory Bunavail.

My question is, why are more people not changing? The side effects less on Bunvail (constipations, you can talk on Bunavail and get the same absorption, etc). My Doctor is the former editor for the American Society of Addition Medicine (ASAM). He is on the board and will likely soon to be president. The ASAM does endorse Bunavail. My is not partial and he is offering this as an option to patients based on what he and they things is the best treatment option. He does NOT offer Bupe without Nalox unless one is pregnant.

Thoughts? Why have this forum not evolved? Why is Dr. Junig addressing this potential "Suboxone Killer". Most people here hate Reckitt yet continue to fill their coffers. Please know my heart in this post. I am not being hostal or trying to start argument. Simply curious?! Thanks yall!
TNDB from Tennessee

Post subject: Re: Bunavail
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:52 pm 

Hey Tndb,

Good subject matter you posted. I did a little research on it and found that what you're saying is about right. The website didn't really explain the mg vs mg very good. (IMO) Meaning, if I am taking 6 mg's of Suboxone, where's the mathematical conversion chart for reference? It's probably there but I didn't read everything. As long as the doctors can figure it out is all I would care about.

Please don't diss Dr. Junig for jumping on any manufacturers band wagon. As you said, we considered changing the name of this site to reference Buprenorphine instead of just Suboxone. That right there says that he did address it. Just not by name. How many other companies make a Buprenorphine product to rival RB? I haven't counted them but the Bup pool is getting more and more competitive.

For me? I won't change unless my doctor recommends it. Second, my co-pay would be $10 higher than I'm paying now with insurance. They offer a discount card but it isn't as good as the RB one. Cash paying customers will probably save more money though. And they also have a patient assistance program like RB does.

IMO, it's a great product that will rival Suboxone. Just give it some time, as it is still relatively new.

For those of you not wanting to Google it yourself, here is the link to their website.

http://www.bunavail.com/

rule

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi TNDB,

I just wanted to chime in here as well. I really think that the reason we haven't discussed this product very much is just because it's so new. There really aren't very many people who have made the switch to it yet. We have had at least one thread about it, but if I remember correctly there were only 2 members who had tried Bunavail who posted on the topic.

I see three main issues that would potentially keep people from wanting to try this new version of bupe.
#1- It is scary for some addicts to switch to something different that they aren't 100% positive will be as good as what they are used to. Even with a free 2 week trial you are stuck with it for that 2 weeks. Since we haven't seen a lot of testimonials from those who have actually tried it yet, it can be scary to commit to.

#2- As Rule brought up above, there is only one strength available currently. For patients who are on lower doses it would be difficult to know exactly how much to cut the strip (or whatever it is) to get the dosing comparable to what they are currently taking. I think this will get better in time as the company see's it's success and puts out different mg. products.

#3- The prescribing doctors themselves. I understand that the company who makes bunavail is doing an excellent job of contacting doctors. But, it will take time for some of the docs who are set in their ways to get with the program. I know that the doctors in my area haven't offered this new product as of yet. They might write a script for it if a patient brought it up, but I don't know many patients who are educated enough about new products to even know it's available. Those of us on this forum are the exception of course. :wink:

As for the name of the forum, I totally understand why it was kept as Suboxforum. People searching for information about Buprenorphine treatment will more often than not type in the name brand of suboxone. Honestly, a lot of people who are new to treatment don't even know how to spell or pronounce the name of the medication at first. It only makes sense to keep the name as something that will be easy to find. I don't in any way believe Dr. J is biased toward one product or another. It's simply about reaching the most amount of people possible who need the information we provide here.

The only way to spread the word about Bunavail is to do just what you have done by starting this post. Get the information out there to the people who need it. I have no doubt we will see a huge increase in the amount of people using this new product once the word gets out to enough people. It just takes time.

Thanks for posting.

Q

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:12 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The main reason I haven't talked about Bunavail is because I have connections with the manufacturer-- not extensive connections, but enough that I would want to disclose them before any comment recommending one med over another. I offer Bunavail to my patients, as well as Suboxone, Zubsolv, generic buprenorphine/naloxone, and plain buprenorphine. In all cases, patients choose their medication based on their personal preferences, with the exception of patients on Medicaid, because Medicaid has made it clear that their patients should not be on plain buprenorphine. WI State Medicaid covers Suboxone Film, but I will fill out a PA requesting Bunavail or Zubsolv if a patient prefers that medication.

Reckitt Benckiser, by the way, spun off Suboxone into some smaller company (I'm forgetting the name right now).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:40 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I wonder how many patients who are trying to get off opiates are aware that the makers of the world's most powerful pain pills (Endo Pharmaceuticals) are BUSINESS partners with the makers of Bunavail?.....Feel like a victim yet?