It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:29 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I have been on Suboxone for about five months now. I originally started off at 24 and now am down to between 12 and 16 a day. I was addicted to opiates for about six years, mostly taking Norco 10/325's but taking whatever I could get my hands on with the last day I ever toke opiates was shooting a balloon of heroin in my arm and waking up an hour later laying in the parking lot of my apartment....

Anyways! I have always, always had a constipation problem my whole life...The only time i really had a bowel movement on my opiates is when I would purposely wait as long as I could till I started having slight withdrawals and would get the squirts on purpose to finally have a bowel movement.

Now, I take sena laxatives which is an all natural vegetable laxative and stool sofner....At first it would take between 10-12 to take a movement now I sometimes can take 30+ over two days as well as taking suppositories daily without any success...I have't had a substantial bowel movement in about over a week now and the laxatives and suppositories have no effect and I feel very bloated. I am not physically unconformable but mentally I am very agitated. As I said, my whole life I have had extreme constipation and it just compounded by the suboxone and years of opiate abuse....Is it possible I have built up a tolerance for the laxatives? Should I try giving myself an enema or switching to a different laxative with different properties? Any past experience with the problem and solutions would be GREATLY appreciated!

(Sorry for blabbing!)

Thank You,
Ryan K. Leddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:50 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

It sounds like you could be impacted... please go to your dr ASAP!! IMO 30+ sennas along with suppositories and no good bowel movement is way to far down the road.

I too have had major problems with constipation while on subs. That is one of the big reasons for my taper. I had no such issues with methadone.

Anyway... I have taken senna too but used it cautiously pursuant to my dr's advice. I'm always a little skeptical of consumer product that are marketed as being "natural" or "vegatative". To me... something is natural when you can pull it from a tree or out of the earth and consume it. At it's best Senna sold as a laxative would be a highly concentrated form of one of the senna plants. I believe some of the "senna" laxatives also include other ingrediants. Here is a good site to explain about senna:

http://www.drugs.com/mtm/senna.html

Depending on the dosage level... I'm concerned you are taking way to much of this and need to get with your dr. Mine prescribed Lactulose syrup which helped me and is suppossed to be safe to use daily.... at least according to my dr it is safe daily??

One other thing that has helped me is to blend up 1/3 cup of 51% All Bran with fruit juice [and other fruits if you like] and take it daily in the morning and eat an apple before bed. Try that... I bet it works for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey man i fell your pain i also have Bowel Movement issues since i started suboxone. ive been on subs for 3 years now and on laxatives for 2 and a half. Things got so bad at one point i didnt go for 10 days were i was use to going dayily so i know how you fell. i went to the er had a saline enema and a very strong laxative drink which didnt do anything thing for me. after my xray the doc said i was so compacted that i had to go see a gastro doc ASAP AKA TOMM. TO figure this out. so i had to have a emergency colonoscopy so i finally was cleaned out the night b4 with what they use so the doc could go into the colon and see the walls and so fourth. to find out their was nothing wrong so im in tears cause i went threw all this hell for nothing. thats when they called my suboxone doc to the hospital to talk about what i can do to beat constipation from this miracle drug with out takeing any drugs that can not be taken while on subs. So i started takeing miralax twice a day which you cant get ovet the counter and amintiza which has to be perscribed once a day. and ive been regular every since. so i suggest you go the store and get a bottle of miralax. its a powder you pour into water stir and dirnk no taste and real easy to take. read instuctions on how much to take. take when you wake up and b4 you go to bed. if that doesnt work go to your doctor and talk to him about a laxative called lactolose which is the strongest lax a doc can perscribe belive this will make you shit my doc calls it rocket fuel i use it only when things get reall bad. this is also real easy to take you pour it into orange juice and has no taste as well.

Just so you know your body can get addicted to laxative to the point were you cant go at all with out them. thats why miralax is great cause it can be taken for long term with no bad side effects same with lacotlose people take it for years even life.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: I gave birth...
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:50 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Well, today I finally had a bowel movement...I felt like i was giving birth. I want to get on a regular basis which I have never been my whole life. I did try miralax for a while but the problem was I forgot to take it on a daily basis which pretty much renders it useless. Today, I went to Costco and bought 200 Dulcolax laxative tablets which have a different active ingredient than the Sena I was taking. I also bought six saline enemas.

Freedom, I appreciate your post and also bought fruit today and high fiber cereal....Frosted shredded miniwheats contain 25% of your daily fiber. I hope over the next few weeks with taking miralax, a high fiber diet will help make me more regular. Also maybe switching laxatives around I will receive a more positive result. I am debating about maybe getting a colonoscopy to just unclog myself from the 21 years of constipation I have suffered.

I also am trying to drink more water which I am guilty of not doing as much as I should.

Thanks for your help,

Ryan K. Leddy

P.S. If anyone else has any suggestions please let me know! Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:05 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I guess congratulations are in order... oh what a relief it is! LOL

I also tried the mini wheats and they didn't help me. The 51% All bran in a blender with acaia fruit juice did. Remember your not consuming for taste. Thats why I use the blender... to drink it down quickly.

Take care

Post subject: YOUCH!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:31 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey Ryan-

Wow I feel for you. I hope your birthing experience moves to a daily BM event! LOL.

I've gone through a couple of bouts of longer term constipation - as does my wife. All of the issues are opiate based.

For me, it's the smallest/effective dose of suboxone - with a pretty standard routine of high fiber - and forced several glasses of water a day. For whatever reason, FOR ME, my water (not coke/coffee/etc.) is directly proportional to my bowel success.

If I have a water bottle with me - and I drink several bottles of water a day - especially after dinner for me - then I have consistent AM - BM's. Fiber in the morning with my coffee - and later I switch to almost exclusively water - around dinner and later. I had to make this a conscious effort - I wasn't thirsty - but I drank water anyway.

Hope you find your magic combination. I do believe it's also affected by exercise. If I drink and walk (hard and fast to raise heart rate and sweat), and drink lots of water - I have less side effects in all areas.

My .$02.. :) :) ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:01 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I have noticed since I haven't been working that I don't have BM's as usual. I've been looking for a job for the past few months..My last job I was a waiter at a high-end restaurant but I was walking and on my feet all day which probably equaled about 5 miles of walking a day. Now, just being home a lot more I probably don't walk half that much. I do crunches and treadmill about twice a week...I suppose a routine would be more useful since you're speeding up your Respitory system and what not. I might have a coke like once a week but all I drink is water...The problem is not enough water I only drink about 2-3 bottles a day.....I don't know if it had to do with the suboxone but after I get up, eat, drink some juice then take my dose sometimes I'll notice in the evening that I haven't had a sip of water all day....I heard other people experiencing this or the complete opposite where they just chug water all day....

Also...Last night I have myself an enema and took 3 laxatives and I was flowing like a chocolate fountain....haha gross, I know....But last night I was laying down and reading a book before bed and all of a sudden my middle back just started hurting like CRAZY...not a stinging pain or a pines and needles pain or anything just like a throbbing pain so I took 4 advil, put on some icy hot but the pain didn't go away but I just fell asleep anyways then when I woke up today soon after I ate the same pain just came back just as bad if not worse. I put on a heat pad then took my daily sub dose and it went away soon after...Could this be related to the suboxone at all? I didn't do anything physically demanding yesterday so I didn't tweak my back or anything like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:51 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

hmmm..

your back ache/tweak from suboxone? I doubt it. Is it muscular in nature? The reason I ask, is my brother in law had diverticulitis - and his bowel tore. If you have been constipated horribly, there is a chance you had something like that (from the inside though) and usually followed by more pain and fever. That's ER stuff.

As for your constipation, I was thinking that maybe I didn't say 'my trick' for me right. I have coffee and a diet coke or so during the day - mixed with infrequent water. But, in the afternoon through the evening - I drink at least 2-3 liters of water, that would be in combination with a glass of water with dinner. For me it's the combination of fiber and water that keeps me going :)

When I take medications for a cold like mucinex, or other meds or drinks like coffee and coke/diet coke that dehydrate me - I realized that caused worse bowel problems for me. One real killer is Ice Tea. I love it! But... I pay a price of stopped up.

Anyway - I hope you find good long term relief. Maybe some of the feedback on this thread will help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:03 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I can't help but think with all the laxatives and back pain etc... that you really should see your dr and have a thorough exam. I hope verything is ok.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:01 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Wow, I guess congratz is the right way to start off!!! I really think that you should take lathedude's advice and increase your water intake / fiber intake. The more water I drink, it seems the better. But I also include the fiber, for me favorite is frosted mini wheat cereal. There are so many other options but I think water is key. Good luck, and I mean it!!

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." ---Salvador Dali

Post subject: back pain
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:55 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Well, the back pain was a weird two day thing but so far I haven't had any since yesterday morning. Ever since I swtiched laxatives and gave myself an enema I have been going regularly....I do need to see the doctor but the problem is I don't have insurance and I really can't foot the bill of seeing a doctor, I can barely afford my sub doctor and he is 85$ a visit....The back pain was weird though...it wasn't tingly or a muscle spasm...It felt like I had a stomache ache accept it was in my back...Maybe I'm dying? Oh well...it's cool. Just kidding but I haven't had a problem since yesterday morning...If the back pain comes back tonight or tomorrow then I'll start to get a little worried.

Ryan K. Leddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Glad to hear you went. Hey man i know you said yove dealt with cons. for long term so im suprised you are just now haveing back pain. constipation is known to cause back pain, i found that out in the er when you go back to my first post of being compacted to the max. Cause the doc didnt know i was on suboxone and wanted to give me 20mg of hyrdros for my back pain and discomfort luckily my mom said wait a minute what are you giving him cuase she wasnt in the room when the doc stuck his finger up my ass lol to check my prostate. but yea she told her i was on sub and i can get very sick if i took that. at that point i would of took it i was in so much pain.

But i wanted to tell you be carefull with enemas yea they work great but going back to what you said about being addicted to lax. their are many people who take emenas way to much the point were they cant go with out them. my advice is you should go visit a gastro dr you prolly wont need a colonoscopy but he might be able to find out what going on to get you more regular.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:27 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I know, I didn't get an enema to take daily I just got it for emergency use..Gotta love Costco 6 enemas for like under ten dollars. The new laxative I switched too called dulcolax is a gentle over night laxative and has really, really worked well for me. Ever since Saturday when I dropped the deuce of the century and then gave myself an enema on Saturday night and started taking a few of these before bed I have been as regular as a free range cow. Also on Monday I ate a bunch of Mexican food and have been monitoring my fiber intake heavily.

I'm glad to know the back pain is linked to the constipation and nothing else...I haven't experienced any problems since Sunday so I should be in the clear. I plan to purchase one of those take home colon detox things...I've heard of people dropping 15-20 pounds do this...Is is true?Anyone with past experience of this that could drop some knowledge on me would be greatly appreciated! I know it's not a real fix for a colonoscopy but I am pretty much broke and I don't have insurance....Well, not pretty much broke I am broke. I'm sure after 21 years of constipation I have some issues down there that need to be dealt with.

Thanks everyone for their help and like I said before anyone with past experience with take home colon cleansing systems please drop a line and let me which brands are more effective than the other and if it is even worth it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:44 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

if you got the time drink couple glasses of prune juice.

will really clean you out so dont drink it if your gonna be out and about all day or anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:59 pm 
I'm glad you're feeling better. If you ever do get impacted again (or if that pain persists) please don't fool around with it. I know of someone just a week ago who ended up with a perforated bowel and she died of the complications (she was only like 39). I know you don't want to go to the doc withouth heath insurance, and I don't blame you, but being that impacted can be life threatening.
Also, I noticed that Miralax just came out in a generic, which is great because it is awfully expensive.
Good Luck,
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:51 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

That is good information about the Miralax since that stuff with how expensive it is should make my bowel movements gold :lol: Sorry for that image! Anyways, with how hard it is for me to find work now I feel like it's a sign for me to go and complete my education and go to college which could get me back on one of my parent's health care.

Also, I know this is unrelated and I don't want to hear any opinions or debates on the health care bill that was passed but I heard something in it that includes parent's being able to keep their children on the bill till they are 26. Does anyone know if this is immediate and does it mean I have to be a full time student?

Post subject: Oh boy!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:18 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey all - sorry for waking up this thread but I'm glad I read through it..... I recently have been experiencing some constipation. Two times in the past two weeks like someone posted above it was like giving birth. I was at work in the bathroom for over 30 minutes praying I could have a bowel movement.... I was pushing/squeezing/holding my breath so damn hard I thought I was going to blow out a blood vessel in my head... I believe I was doing a major vagal maneuver and was worried I was going to hurt myself....I managed to have a bowel movement and I stayed in the bathroom for another ten minutes just relaxing..... I came out of the bathroom sweating and looked completely exhausted... :oops:

Anyways, with all of that said I'm going to grab some Miralax right now or the generic as I also read in this thread.

I have always had problems urinating and I generally wait now until I really have to go.....or turn on the sink water and keep my hand under it... :lol: That always helps...

Will all that said, you know what....the benefits of Suboxone outweigh these negative side effects it's not even funny. I was even thinking of tapering down to 4mg because I don't remember having these issues at the lower dose..... Anyways, off to Walgreens I go, I will keep you all posted.

SuperBuper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:05 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I'm glad it was of help....unless people experience constipation like we do they will never know how horrible it can be sometimes. It seems like I never have a normal bowel movement and when I do the whole day, I will have a cramped/bloated stomach and I'll think I have to go about 4 times before I finally go and get some relief. Right now I am just doing the generic verison of miralax and dolcolax. I try to spread the dolcolax around because I've read so many horror stories of getting laxative dependency. Super, one thing that really really helped me out is I went to CVS and bought a two week colon detox thing. You take like 2 liver pills, 8 fiber pills, and 4 other pills a day and it actually kept me quite regular for those two weeks. It was only 20 dollars so if you're on a budget like me it could really help out...I'm saving up some money to go to GNC and get a real heavy duty colon detox thing. lol, how ridiculous is that I'm 21 years old and I'm saving up for a colon detox! :oops:

Good Luck! I hope the Miralax gives you some relief.

Post subject: So far nothing...BUT
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:30 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

mayunholdup - thanks for the reply.. Well here's the deal.... I purchased Walgreens generic of Miralax called Smooth Lax ($16.00 for 30 - day supply pretty big bottle) it contains Polyethylene Glycol 3350. It's also shows original prescription strength... I actually went up to the pharmacist and told her I was on Suboxone regularly and asked what she thought. She also recommended Miralax or the generic. Well my first night Weds, June 9th I took my first drink. I mixed the powder with Blue Raspberry Gatorade and mixed her up and downed the drink. It didn't taste bad at all, I really thought after smelling the powder I was in trouble. Anyways, the next morning I woke up hearing my stomach gurgling and I was so happy. Still really painful but I did have a bowel movement... I drank another cocktail of Polyethylene Glycol (Generic Miralax) with Gatorade on Thursday night. So far, no more bowel movements... Man, I was a regular too... I think my major problems are I'm a Soda-oholic at work and drink way to much soda during the day, I don't drink much water. I've heard soda dehydrates you so I'm sure this is not helping the matter. Thanks for your other info/advice, as I may give that a shot... I'm going to drink another dose tonight and starting tomorrow I'm going to force myself to drink more water and I'll keep you posted.

SuperBuper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:57 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks for taking time to help...