It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

A week ago tonight (Tuesday, August 20th) , I broke two bones in my right hand. I wanted to go to the ER that night, but I also knew they wouldn't really be able to do anything about it and even though they know I'm an addict, they'd more than likely have offered me pain pills. So, I stayed home and I took advil every four hours through the night and didn't sleep a wink because of the pain. The advil helped with the pain, but just couldn't quite get ahead of it. At midnight that night, I took 4 T1's (300mg tylenol, 8mg codeine), but they were less effective than the advil so I switched back to the advil.

The next morning I went and saw my primary care physician. He did xrays and the xrays showed the 4th metacarpal bone was fractured and the 5th metacarpal bone had snapped just prior to the knuckle. He indicated surgery would more than likely be required. I did not ask him for pain meds, I simply asked him how many advil I could take in a days time.

Next, I had to get in to see an orthopaedic surgeon to see if surgery was required. I already had an orthopaedic surgeon in mind, the guy who did my ankle surgeries years ago. He's the best around and I wanted him, but he couldn't even see me to evaluate me until yesterday. He checked out my xrays and told me surgery was required to fix the 5th metacarpal.

The thing is, by this time, which was 6 days after I broke my hand, the pain had subsided enough to where advil was easily keeping ahead of it.....but now I was facing surgery (a surgery where the surgeon was going to have to straighten the bone and install a small rod into bone...OUCH!!!). I was pretty bummed because here I had made it through breaking my hand and was able to just use advil (other than the 4 codeine), but I knew there was no way I'd be able to go through surgery without using pain meds.

My doctor and I agreed up front to 3 days of Hydrocodone 7.5mg AND that my wife would fill the script and hold them for me.

Well, I'm 6 hours post surgery and I haven't taken any of the pain meds from the script that my doctor wrote for me. While in the recovery area, they gave me two shots of morphine about 15 minutes apart. Once I got back to my room, because my hand was still hurting pretty bad, the nurse gave me one Hydro 7.5mg, that was just over 6 hours ago now. Two hours ago, I took 800mg of advil and my hand is actually not too bad at all right now.....I'm almost stunned, in a good way!! :)

Needless to say, I was pretty scared at the prospect of taking pain meds again. Over the past week, some of those nasty addict thoughts were certainly jumping in and out of my mind, but I used my support group to talk things out, I made a plan on what to do if surgery and pain meds were required and so far so good!! :D

Sorry for any typo's or if this is hard to read, typing with one hand sucks!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:09 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

OMG Romeo!

Wow! What a scary situation you were in! I can't imagine going through all that worry over the surgery and the pain meds that were sure to follow. Remember, you are entitled to adequate pain relief just like any other patient. Don't put yourself through unnecessary pain by not taking the hydro's when you need them. At the same time, don't get too attatched k? It's a tough spot for sure, but I'm so glad that you aren't in too awful much pain. I would think that today and tomorrow would be the worst of it, but what the heck do I know? Hang tough dude.

Also, that was really great of you to have your wife hold your meds for you. It shows you are thinking this thing through and not giving in to that little addict bastard in your head. I'll bet he was a noisy little twerp the past week huh? You are doing great, and I'm proud of you. Keep it up!

Now is the time when all that love you usually spread around to everyone else here can come back to you! If you start struggling come talk about it!

Q

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:32 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wow Romeo....

Sorry to hear the news about the hand. I agree with EVERYTHING that Q said in her post. You usually NEED pain relief following surgery, and a couple days of it is understandable. Also great you are having your wife dispense the pills. Shows how committed you are to your recovery!

Also as Q said, if you need to talk just get on here and post. I'm sure many members will be happy to jump in and help if needed. Take care of yourself and get some rest. I'm sure it's difficult to type, so please don't worry about answering here right now. We know your reading.

I'll check on you again later too. Best wishes for a fast healing process!

Karen xoxo

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:06 am 

I want a report of how and when you get rid of the rest of your script that you no longer really need! I am the solid wall of Amy and you will obey!!

If you end up using all of the pain meds, I will know it's because the addict in you convinced yourself that you were justified in taking them. I wish I were in charge of your pills, because I would be a complete hard ass! You can't cut yourself any slack! This is where you define whether you're truly in recovery or not. No excuses!

Don't make me grab the girls and show up at your house to open up a can of whoop-ass!

This harsh pep-talk was made possible with a grant from the AALDAC (Amys Against Lies, Deception And Chicanery)!

Amy

P.S. I'll feel bad about your hand later after you're out of the woods.

P.P.S. Obviously I'm the bad cop! :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:26 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Go get him Amy!

I'm so glad we have such a mix of personalities here. Give it a minute and we'll have all the bases covered!

Romes, I believe I have warned you not to underestimate my ass-kicking skills in the past. I'm sure we could round up a few others to jump in the caravan with us...Don't push your luck!

Q :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:42 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Count me in too! I owe him big time for his wise-ass comments the other day that I let pass. I would be more than happy to drag him around the block a time or two behind my truck!!!

BTW: How's the hand Romes? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welp, I'm approaching 24 hours after surgery and my hand still doesn't hurt bad at all. Advil (600mg every 8 hours) is easily outpacing the pain. Just my luck, I finally get legit pain meds, but can't use them cuz the pain is nowhere near severe enough......stupid hand!!! I guess I have 20 Lortab to use recreationally, Amy? :shock:

J/K!!!! Don't go forming a posse just yet folks, the plan is to flush the little bastards this evening and be done with them. Oh how nice it would be to have my wife give me a few just for the hell of it, but that ain't gonna happen, so there's gonna be some stoned fishy's tonight.......you're welcome fish!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:38 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I'm so proud of you buddy! You just got a huge temptation, and you kicked its ass! Keep up the good work, and flush them nasty pills!

I'm so glad that the Advil is managing your pain. Just remember to play the whole tape if cravings ever get bad. Tell yourself to look down the road to all the bad things that come from taking pills and it all started with just one. I don't think that will be necessary though. I'm confident that you will do just fine. You're kicking addictions ass one day at a time!

Hoping for a quick recovery,

Squeaky

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:46 pm 

I must say Romes, I am impressed with the way you've handled this recent event. These types of things will happen to all of us throughout our lives and we need to know we can get through the process without losing our marriage, job, life, etc.

Smart of you to have your wife dole them out. And what the hell is with this honesty thing you got going now? :wink: That is the true measure of how far you've come these last few years. Ah crap, the one thing I shouldn't do is give you compliments, it'll go right to your head!

Next time I have to manage pain meds I hope to be in good recovery shape. To quote Dr. J, "We measure success in years, not days, or even months". Please give me the years under my belt to do the right thing.

Nice job my man. Keep it up.

rsixtytwo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:48 pm 

That's our Romes! Looks like I didn't need to threaten you at all! To be honest, bad cop isn't my typical persona so I'll gladly put it away for now.

But dang! I liked the idea of forming a posse, maybe just because I'd love to meet the gals in person. :)

I'm so glad that the ibuprofen is working for you! I totally understand the impulse to just have a few anyway. I think that any addict feels that way when confronted with the opportunity. You did a great job handing control over to your wife. And remember, any time you've slipped in the past, you've felt terrible afterwards! Instead, you should be proud of yourself for the way you handled things (but not over-confident).

I will still feel better once I know that you have flushed the lortab, but I'm glad to hear that you've been honest about your pain instead of inflating it to use the pills.

Keep up the good work!

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Amy, I can take over as bad cop! :D

Romeo, if you were that tough you'd just stop with Advil right here and now. Come on, don't be such a wimp.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

OK tinydancer, I will stop the Advil and switch over to the Lortab immediately....good thinking!!

I have to say this, too. If I don't stay on top of the advil, the pain starts to come back fairly quickly. I've been taking advil 8 hours apart, but I think I'm now going to shoot for 6 hours apart for my next few doses. If I've learned one thing about pain control in my life it's that you have to get ahead of the pain. As soon as it gets ahead of the meds, it takes a shit-ton of meds to get back in front of it.

PS---thank you all for your well wishes and support!! :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Well crap, leave it to Romeo to mess up our road trip. :roll:

Oh well, we'll just have to find another excuse to get the girls together another time. It would probably be better to do it under happier circumstances anyway. Although....I can't say it wouldn't have been fun to take turns kicking ol' Romeo's butt around the block a few times.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:25 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Romeo,
Great job!! I have heard a lot about people that are clean and have been clean for awhile having to use sparingly pain meds for severe pain, after a surgery. The best way is for sure to give them to someone else to give to you. You did awesome just to take the one and stay ahead of the pain with the advil. Last time I had surgery I got on oxycodone( mistake), now I know better and you sharing your experience is helpimg me, Thanks, Romeo. And I am glad you are doing well.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:36 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Justdoitforyou, thanks for the encouragement and I'm glad my thread is helping you. That's what I love about this forum, we have so many people here, in different stages of recovery and we all learn from each other. I learn so much from the newbies on up to people with lots of clean time.

K, update......I took one Lortab this morning. The advil has started messing with my stomach, so I talked to my wife about it (btw, she thought flushing the meds yesterday was too soon, so we decided to wait) and she agreed it wouldn't be a problem for me to rotate off the advil for a dose or two and use the Lortab. She did stipulate, however, that if I start nagging her for Lortab, they're gone!!

So, I'm being a good boy, took one Lortab and no nagging the wife.

For those of you who would take this opportunity to jump knee deep in my shit.....blow it out your ear!!! :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Lortab = flushed.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Romeo wrote:
Lortab = flushed.

PROUD = OF YOU! :D

Really Romes, that's awesome! Proud of you and it speaks volumes to how much you value your recovery. I know how hard it is to flush those pills, but it's also exhillerating to watch em go bye bye! :D

Well done dude, and hope the hand is healing quickly!

Karen xoxo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:37 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Holy crap... now that is a good story! Good for you. I'm glad you shared this story. I know there's a lot of talk about how most people can't ever stay clean unless they are completely away from opiates, and you've shown that there are people out there. It's good to put these stories out. I think you've really passed that bridge. You've passed from the recovering addict world to the Recovered Addict world. (The difference is "recovering" verses "recovered"). I say this because a recovering addict would have probably tried the high. The recovered addict is smart enough to know it's not fun or worth it to take them. Also, I'm sure lots of people are unsure if they could get through surgery without using painkillers. My Dad broke his back and was prescribed the vicoden 1000's, and didn't even take one. He was an alcohol and drug user but I don't think he was ever addicted to painkillers (extremely private family, I only hear a bit of the story every few years..). But your story is not only someone with surgery refusing painkillers, but someone who went through surgery without painkillers AND got through and cravings and urges. Now that takes some serious strength, and it's great to know that it is completely possible. I mean you used the one loratab and a few codeins but really that's like nothing.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:31 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Romeo wrote:
Lortab = flushed.

Amazing story. I'm happy for you man.
I know this guy who's an alcoholic, totally at one point was addicted, 100% alcoholic.
He went to a wedding and grabbed a drink next to him thought it was his and took a sip of champagne. He was so scared that he would fall back into his addiction again he immediately left the wedding party with his wife and he didn't leave his house for days, too scared he would buy a fifth of whiskey i think... he stayed in bed most of the time. He was around 58 when this happened to him. Thanks for sharing your story.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks Karen!! The hand is doing remarkably well. I'm 5 days post surgery and haven't even needed advil today. I would like to rip this frickin' cast off my arm, though!!

Hey IM, I don't know as I'd say I'm recovered, but I do know how dangerous me + opiates are, so I treat them with a huge amount of respect. IMO, recovery is ongoing. I don't think I'll ever be "recovered" because recovery is a lot a state of mind and weaving new behaviors into my life and those things can too easily come undone with just a kernel of shitty thinking. I think you were pretty much saying the same thing I am, but I just wanted to clarify for anyone else reading this. Regardless, thank you for the kind words and the encouragement.

Hey tydye90, thank you for your post and for sharing that story.