It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:00 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello everyone,

I was at my addictionologist's today and a young guy was checking out and setting up his next appointment, the whole while going on about a Dr. Junig on YouTube that he thought was great and everybody who is on Suboxone should see. So after I saw my Doctor I got home and Googled him. I can't tell you how glad I am to have found this site. All of this info is phenomenal!

I went into Rehab on February 26, 2009. That particular morning, the Methadone Clinic wouldn't let me back in and they held a little intervention on me. I'd been using heavily, on top of the methadone, and had overdosed a week prior. That intervention was heaven sent, and don't ask me where the "Yes" came from, but I said "Yes" when they offered me Rehab. See, I've been in chronic pain since the age of 22, and I'm 45. I've also had a severe addiction to opiates and benzos the entire time. I more or less lost the use of my left leg, along with the top of my femur and most of my hip socket from a severe staph infection that I got while having surgery to remove a surgical rod that had been placed in my femur at the age of 16. Because of all of that, my spine has paid the price and I could go on and on about the physical problems I've had, but I want to get to the good part.

See, I knew I was going to be one of those people that just didn't wake up one morning, or I was going to die from some other bizarre circumstance, or worse yet, my life would just keep on going on like it was. There were never enough drugs to keep me well, because I always took them too fast. And yet, if I was completely drug free, I was going to be miserable from the pain issues I've got. And the Methadone Clinics cost way more than I could afford or they expected me to stay clean. There was NO WAY OUT of this.

Through the Grace of God, and a lot of work on my part, I am coming up on 2 years clean and sober. I feel like I've been given a 2nd (or 3rd or 4th!) chance at life. I'm an active member of Alcoholics Anonymous, and since I've been taking Suboxone, it sort of feels like I'm "indifferent" to drugs. I know part of that is from my "Higher Power" and from having worked the 12 Steps and part of that is from me doing what my doctor says. Not what I say!

I'm not scared anymore. I like life and I'm relatively free of pain. No more wrecked cars, no more trips to the hospital, no more trips to jail, and most importantly, no more laying awake all night long dreading the sunrise because I haven't got anything to wake-up with.

It's a miracle I'm here today, after all, I should have been dead many times over. Thank you Dr. Junig for making all of this information available and giving us a place to support each other. I applaud anyone who is trying to get out from under active addiction. Just remember, IT CAN BE DONE, and you just might find out life on this side is way more fun than you thought!

(It sorta feels like I rambled on here, and I'm sorry for that. This stuff is so deadly serious that its kinda hard to put into words...)

God Bless!
Brian-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:35 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Brian and welcome to you! So glad you found us and decided to participate in the forum. Dr. J is a wealth of information, isn't he?

So how long have you been on suboxone? If you feel comfortable, maybe you can share your suboxone experience and how you're doing on it with us.

I've been on it since December 2008 and I also take it for pain as well as addiction. I'm curious, does your sub help your pain at all? Do you dose for pain (multiple times per day), as well?

Again, welcome! See ya around the forum.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:38 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi Hatmaker-

Thanks for welcoming me! I've been on Suboxone since February of 09. I don't really count that as my clean and sober date, but that is when I went to rehab and they got me off of everything I was on (methadone, percocet and Xanax) and that's just the legal stuff. I'd been on that type of thing since I was about 20, so for a good 25 years I tried to make the drugs work for me. They didn't though. I couldn't do it. I had this "on switch" that wouldn't turn off and the withdrawals actually got dangerous, way more than I could handle. And they always lasted for so long (because of the methadone I think) that I always gave in or the pain would get to me and I'd go back to what always worked. My "on switch" doesn't come on when I take the Sub. I mean I thought I was going to die from this because I COULD NOT find a way to stay outta pain and keep the withdrawals at bay, and keep my life together. Nothing worked.

I take my Sub once or twice a day, depending on if I'm hurting by evening. I also take Neurontin and IBU's. The way my doc has it written up I can take 2 1/2 a day, but I usually only take the 2, in the morning, along with my regular old meds. I got sober and found out I have high blood pressure! Why who would have thought that all that crap I was taking would keep my blood pressure down?!! It's wild, I end up with extra Sub at the end of my 4 weeks! I've NEVER done that! And I don't take any kind of benzoes or sleeping pills. You know, nothing that get's me high. And I am in AA.

I don't think I'd be OK without AA, nor do I think I'd be OK without the Sub. It all works in concert for me. Do you take your's in 1 dose, or 2 or three? At 1st, I took mine 3 x a day, then 2, now maybe 1 and 1/2. I haven't noticed any w/d setting in once I got the dose straightened out, but sometimes at night I feel like I need that extra 1/2.

Please forgive me for writing really long posts and replies, I'm completely new to this type of thing and sometimes I really ramble! And this stuff feels so personal, it's hard to put into words.

I'm looking forward to hanging out online here, I can identify SO MUCH here. Do you use any type of 12 step program? I find the two things work best when I use both at the same time. I mean, the date that I started Sub on and my actual "clean and sober" date, are different. I went through some dental stuff, and for some INSANE reason, thought I'd take the stupid Vicodin the right way. And trust me, I always thought Vicodin was trash, not at all strong enough to do anything for ME. Well, I didn't, and I almost immediately felt like my connection to God and to AA was lost. Thank God I talked about it, and for personal reasons wanted to take a start-over token. If I'd have let that guilt fester...well it wouldn't have been pretty!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I started out dosing 3 times a day (8 mg each), but have backed off of that. Usually now it's only twice, unless I'm having a really bad pain day or a really light pain day, in which case I, too, only take one and a half. I also take a muscle relaxer for my pain and that helps. Like you, I also have sub left at the end of the month. If you're not doing it already, tuck your extra suboxone away for a rainy day. You just never know. Plus it keeps you from having to time out your doc and pharmacy trips to the exact moment. I know it gives me peace of mind and my sub is just like any of my other meds.

I don't go to AA/NA. It just doesn't fit with my spiritual beliefs (or lack thereof), but I don't discount what it can do for others. For awhile I had started my own suboxone support group, tried it for about 6 months before I gave up. I only had a few members all that time and barely had a decent meeting that whole time. Maybe I'll try to do it again sometime. I guess it just wasn't the right time.

See you around the forum!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.