It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:51 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

So i may be pregnant now, i will find out in a couple weeks. whether or not, i am curious to know if any mommas out there gave birth to a baby with no w/d while on sub and breastfed longer than year, with no w/d symptoms in the child.
i would think that as you ween your child, you are weening the sub off as well, any insight? experiences?
thanks again:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Most of the time your physician will switch you to Subutex if you are pregnant. It can sometimes be a slippery slope, so if you are pregnant make sure everything is done correctly under your doctor's care. If you have an OB doc and a separate Sub doc, make sure they are in contact with each other to coordinate your care. Please keep us posted on your situation. Best wishes to you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:26 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

thanks, i will. i took 2mg today and felt terrible so i took another mg. i cant believe the difference ONE milligram made.
anyhow, i hope more will post on their success of breastfeeding for a lengthy time, as i breastfed my first for a year and a half and wanna do it again.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:19 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I'm curious about this, too. I read somewhere that the amount of Sub passed to the baby through breastmilk is very small, but I can't remember the particulars. Hopefully, someone knowledgeable about this will chime in.

Congrats --if you are pregnant :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:11 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Cinnagirl wrote:
I'm curious about this, too. I read somewhere that the amount of Sub passed to the baby through breastmilk is very small, but I can't remember the particulars. Hopefully, someone knowledgeable about this will chime in.

Congrats --if you are pregnant :)

thanks i actually hope i am!! i would love another one right now! that sounds so selfish being on this stuff but i am totally having baby fever. if it was not safe, id definitely not want one, but it seems to be ok.....need more input here!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:05 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

You shouldn't feel selfish...it seems to be safe from what I have read. I mean, who knows the effects of lots of things we ingest on a daily basis that are supposedly safe! But, as far as being dangerous...it's not. You should switch to Subutex if you haven't already, though. It has one less ingredient to worry about exposing the baby to. Good luck and hope you are pregnant :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:06 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Cinnagirl wrote:
You shouldn't feel selfish...it seems to be safe from what I have read. I mean, who knows the effects of lots of things we ingest on a daily basis that are supposedly safe! But, as far as being dangerous...it's not. You should switch to Subutex if you haven't already, though. It has one less ingredient to worry about exposing the baby to. Good luck and hope you are pregnant :)

thanks! im going to the doc this week and i am going to ask to be switched. i feel terribly selfish but would rather have my wits about me when i actually do get pregnant than if i were full of cravings or whatever..i am just wondering what is the better route. guess mother nature will decide for me!
thanks again:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:07 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks for being so tactful with your response, breezy Anne. I most definitely would not consider a child if my sub use were a reason to avoid relapse . At this point its only comfort control as I don't want to experience wd. I have tapered myself down drastically and hope to be off the shit by the time I do conceive. If I am not preg now, I will be super happy and totally wait till Dec when my original time was to jump. Accidents happen, so this is why I posted in the first place hence my introduction !=)
Thanks ill keep you posted. If I am, I am going to quit cold turkey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Jenzo - I know full well that you don't want to hear what I have to say because you've Poo-poo'd my advice and responses to you, and I'm sorry, but I simply must say one more thing.

You just said, "If I am (pregnant), I am going to quit cold turkey."

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, for the sake of that fetus/baby (or however you want to refer to it as) that you might have inside you right now, do NOT under any circumstances go cold turkey while pregnant!!!!

I know you want off and if pregnant you want off NOW. But stop and think about what's best for both of you. And I hate to do this to you, but also think about what could happen, worse case scenario - what could happen and how you would feel. This is completely within your control and if you were to quit cold turkey and the worst were to happen, where would you be? I don't want to see you go through that or to do that to yourself.

Whatever you do, just PLEASE remember to keep the withdrawals to an absolute minimum because the baby WILL feel it and from inside the womb the baby cannot be treated like you can be. And therein lies the risk of miscarriage. Just because others have quit without any problems, doesn't make those risks any less real.

Again, I'm sorry to be so blunt, but I just get the impression that you're not taking the risks very seriously. I'm sorry to say that, but I just want to be honest with you. That's part of what this forum is all about - addicts helping other addicts to be real and honest with themselves on their path to recovery.

Take care of yourself and I shan't post on any of your threads again. I just had to express this one last time.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:21 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

hatmaker510 wrote:
Jenzo - I know full well that you don't want to hear what I have to say because you've Poo-poo'd my advice and responses to you, and I'm sorry, but I simply must say one more thing.

You just said, "If I am (pregnant), I am going to quit cold turkey."

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, for the sake of that fetus/baby (or however you want to refer to it as) that you might have inside you right now, do NOT under any circumstances go cold turkey while pregnant!!!!

I know you want off and if pregnant you want off NOW. But stop and think about what's best for both of you. And I hate to do this to you, but also think about what could happen, worse case scenario - what could happen and how you would feel. This is completely within your control and if you were to quit cold turkey and the worst were to happen, where would you be? I don't want to see you go through that or to do that to yourself.

Whatever you do, just PLEASE remember to keep the withdrawals to an absolute minimum because the baby WILL feel it and from inside the womb the baby cannot be treated like you can be. And therein lies the risk of miscarriage. Just because others have quit without any problems, doesn't make those risks any less real.

Again, I'm sorry to be so blunt, but I just get the impression that you're not taking the risks very seriously. I'm sorry to say that, but I just want to be honest with you. That's part of what this forum is all about - addicts helping other addicts to be real and honest with themselves on their path to recovery.

Take care of yourself and I shan't post on any of your threads again. I just had to express this one last time.

wow are you sure i was the one who "poo-poo'd" your advice? lol i have hardly posted here! i think you have me confused or have taken something quite personally or blown something out of proportion!
really, i am totally peaceful and neutral here-i should just change my name to switzerland! :)
seriously, any input is fine and i am just here for info, support and people to relate to that are on the same track as me!!

i will follow whatever my heart and doctor says - IF i turn out to be preggo. i quite methadone cold turkey and nothing happened with my last pregnancy, and i really never abused anything besides that time in my life and quit separation w/ hubby this year. i realized i needed trauma counseling and therapy if i want to stay clean and not mess with that poison anymore. so, after literally a couple weeks of messing around, i jumped on the program because i knew i needed help to support me through the dark , hard work of therapy! things are great now, hard, but emotionally i am and have been healing very well. i have no desire to do what i did to myself again, and know i need a good structure and therapy to support that reality.

anyway, i will totally look into the link. thanks! please dont feel like i have dismissed you or anyones elses advice. i mostly have to use my phone for the internet and that makes it hard to respond in depth or whatever.

hope this clears stuff up!
appreciate your advice, as i am totally knew to the idea of being pregnant while on anything!

xoxoxo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Jenzo, I just wanted to let you know that my response was if someone was intentionally trying to become pregnant on sub. If you are indeed pregnant now by accident then that is a different story. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being excited and hoping your pregnant. This is not something you planned and in my opinion it is good to be happy. It might not be the best of circumstances but things happen unexpectedly in life and all we can do is embrace them. Please do not feel selfish for being happy and hoping that your child is growing inside you, I would be worried if you didn't. As far as stopping sub I do understand, I think I would want to do the same. However there is no risk to the baby from sub while in your belly but there can be risk from stopping suddenly. The risk comes from withdrawls after birth. So take your time, you have 9 months to taper as long as your off a couple weeks before you deliver. Again this is just my opinion but I would stay stable on your dose for the 1st trimester and then slowly taper. The biggest chance of miscarriage is in the 1st trimester. If you don't make it off then you don't chances are your baby will be fine. Again I have not been in your shoes and can only say what I think i would do. I really hope everything turns out the way you want and remember in the end everything will be fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Jenzo, I just wanted to let you know that my response was if someone was intentionally trying to become pregnant on sub. If you are indeed pregnant now by accident then that is a different story. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being excited and hoping your pregnant. This is not something you planned and in my opinion it is good to be happy. It might not be the best of circumstances but things happen unexpectedly in life and all we can do is embrace them. Please do not feel selfish for being happy and hoping that your child is growing inside you, I would be worried if you didn't. As far as stopping sub I do understand, I think I would want to do the same. However there is no risk to the baby from sub while in your belly but there can be risk from stopping suddenly. The risk comes from withdrawls after birth. So take your time, you have 9 months to taper as long as your off a couple weeks before you deliver. Again this is just my opinion but I would stay stable on your dose for the 1st trimester and then slowly taper. The biggest chance of miscarriage is in the 1st trimester. If you don't make it off then you don't chances are your baby will be fine. Again I have not been in your shoes and can only say what I think i would do. I really hope everything turns out the way you want and remember in the end everything will be fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:23 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Breezy_Ann wrote:

Yes, this is DEF not planned!! I am in my last semester of classes before I intern next Spring..Not quite the timing I would like. I would be happy, of course though, if I do end up preg. We had an accident so I am just paranoid as hell and freaking out. This site has helped tremendously. I am at 2mg, cutting the 8mg strips, though I just found out there are 2mg films, so I am getting those scripted and will be tapering until I jump in December. My plan is to get to 1mg after doing 2mg one day, 1mg the next, and so forth for about 2 weeks, sticking at 1mg for 2 months, then doing the same until I get to .5, then I will jump at that point, hopefully in December between semesters.

I can't imagine how a baby has wd after birth if the mom stops before? Esp. MONTHS before?? That seems unreal to me.
I will do what is right, however, I almost feel like I would rather risk it than worry and have a stressed pregnancy.
That is just me. I want only one more child, and want the pregnancy to be enjoyable. I also will keep an open mind though about sticking on it if I turn out to be preg. I will listen to the docs!

Thanks again! I felt selfish for feeling a little happy about the possibility. I will find out within 2 weeks. :)))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:01 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Please know that it is absolutely not selfish to feel happy, of course you do what mother wouldn't. I reread my post and realized it was kinda confusing. What I was trying to say is that I would stop too but I would wait until the 2nd trimester. Then I would do a reasonable taper with my goal of being off a month before delivery. As long as you stop even 2 weeks before birth then the sub should have time to be out of the babies system and avoiding NAS. I was trying to say that the medicine itself causes no harm to the fetus so you do not have to go cold turkey for the baby to free of withdrawl. So if you are pregnant then your December timeline would still be fine. That way you can lower the risk of miscarriage and your baby will not have to experience cold turkey withdrawls while growing in your tummy. Please don't take this as me telling you what to do, it is just what I would do in your shoes.

I also want to let all the sub moms out there that continued there sub to know that I absolutely understand that as well. I am by no means trying to say staying on sub is the wrong decision. I believe it is a personal choice that only you and you alone can decide.

Jenzo, I wish you the best and hopefully 9 months from now you will be holding a beautiful baby in your arms!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:46 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Breezy_Ann wrote:
Please know that it is absolutely not selfish to feel happy, of course you do what mother wouldn't. I reread my post and realized it was kinda confusing. What I was trying to say is that I would stop too but I would wait until the 2nd trimester. Then I would do a reasonable taper with my goal of being off a month before delivery. As long as you stop even 2 weeks before birth then the sub should have time to be out of the babies system and avoiding NAS. I was trying to say that the medicine itself causes no harm to the fetus so you do not have to go cold turkey for the baby to free of withdrawl. So if you are pregnant then your December timeline would still be fine. That way you can lower the risk of miscarriage and your baby will not have to experience cold turkey withdrawls while growing in your tummy. Please don't take this as me telling you what to do, it is just what I would do in your shoes.

I also want to let all the sub moms out there that continued there sub to know that I absolutely understand that as well. I am by no means trying to say staying on sub is the wrong decision. I believe it is a personal choice that only you and you alone can decide.

Jenzo, I wish you the best and hopefully 9 months from now you will be holding a beautiful baby in your arms!

thanks so much. i really want to wait until next spring or so to get pregnant again, if that is even the road we wish to take. of course id be excited about it if it happens by accident, but its not in the plans as of now!! i am going to jump in dec and that is just that. i will be able to get down to at least .5 by then. i hope that that will be low enough to go without major wd symptoms. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:17 pm 
Congrats if you are pregnant! I am currently 40 weeks pregnant, yesterday was my due date. I am taking about 3 mg oh subutex daily. I unfortunately got addicted to drugs through my bf and then found out I was pregnant. I was freaking out bc I knew stopping would probably cause a miscarriage and continuing wouldn't e good either. I went to a dr and got help and got put onto subutex starting at 8mg. I was advised by my dr that it is not safe to completely come off f subutex while still pregnant. I wanted to be tapered down to at least 2mg, ideally 1mg but my dr disnt want me to go lower than 4mg because he said as the baby grows he needs a bigger dose or something. Definitely something I don't agree with but then again I am not a doctor. But basically the reason for my post is to just tell you my experience and what I have been told was best, and that is to stay on the medicine while pregnant and do what your doctor advises is best for you and your baby. I believe each case is sufferer and I have read so many articles and forums and others experiences because I too want what is best for my baby. I can't begin to explain how horrible I feel to have even put my baby in such a situation and I can only pray that he doesn't have to suffer from any PAWS. But I have read a lot of reassuring post and acrticles that say typically babies don't. I wish for
Nothing but the best for you and your baby! Just be honest and talk with your doctors and do what you feel is right. Take care!

Post subject: UPDATe???
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:34 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

akakaka wrote:
Congrats if you are pregnant! I am currently 40 weeks pregnant, yesterday was my due date. I am taking about 3 mg oh subutex daily. I unfortunately got addicted to drugs through my bf and then found out I was pregnant. I was freaking out bc I knew stopping would probably cause a miscarriage and continuing wouldn't e good either. I went to a dr and got help and got put onto subutex starting at 8mg. I was advised by my dr that it is not safe to completely come off f subutex while still pregnant. I wanted to be tapered down to at least 2mg, ideally 1mg but my dr disnt want me to go lower than 4mg because he said as the baby grows he needs a bigger dose or something. Definitely something I don't agree with but then again I am not a doctor. But basically the reason for my post is to just tell you my experience and what I have been told was best, and that is to stay on the medicine while pregnant and do what your doctor advises is best for you and your baby. I believe each case is sufferer and I have read so many articles and forums and others experiences because I too want what is best for my baby. I can't begin to explain how horrible I feel to have even put my baby in such a situation and I can only pray that he doesn't have to suffer from any PAWS. But I have read a lot of reassuring post and acrticles that say typically babies don't. I wish for
Nothing but the best for you and your baby! Just be honest and talk with your doctors and do what you feel is right. Take care!

Hi!
Congrats on your baby. I am pretty sure I am NOT pregnant-thank god- at this point!
I plan to taper and jump in Dec. Then ill get preggers hopefully next year.
Thanks so much for the support. I am sure you will be fine! Keep us updated!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:23 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I just found out that our accident did not get me preggers!!
ITS A BITTER SWEET THING AS WE ALL KNOW:)
I look forward to jumping and having some clean months while makin babies.
I appreciate all you ladies for your support and wanna know how you are all doing!!
thanks again-esp breezy_ann and hatmaker, robin, laddertripper, lily-you guys all rock with your posts and inspire me very much.
much love!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:57 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I know it can be disappointing even though this wasn't the best of circumstances for a pregnancy so for that I am sorry. On the good side, now you can focus on yourself and your taper. Next year when you do become pregnant you will be in a better place, with a lot less stress and be able to enjoy your pregnancy. I wish you the best in your taper and know you can do it! One thing this forum is not lacking is strong women and thanks for the kind words above, I find inspiration in your posts and am so happy to be a part of this place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:40 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

its the right thing for now and im ok with that!
I want to get off this crap first before i need to worry about a pregnancy.
thanks all!!