It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Breastfeeding?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:08 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hello Everyone,
I'm due to have a baby in about 7 weeks and I have a question about breastfeeding. I've been on suboxone throughout my pregnancy and the physicians I see at my OBGYN are totally aware of this (even though I don't think they know much about the medication).
I was hoping to breastfeed, even for just a little while, if everything works out. I mentioned this to my suboxone doctor last week and she said that their drug rep (RB) has always told them that breastfeeding is not recommended. She also mentioned that there really aren't any studies on this either, so its basically unknown as to whether breastfeeding is okay or not if the the mother is on suboxone (which is why its generally not recommended). She also acknowledged that while the evidence is purely anecdotal, some babies do great when breastfed by women who are currently on suboxone.
I would like to know if there are any women on this forum who can share their experiences with breastfeeding (or not breastfeeding) while on suboxone. I'd be interested in any information on this subject (ie. point me to a website or resource that addresses breastfeeding while on sub). I'm really just trying to make an informed decision as to what I plan to do when the baby girl gets here. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Jen, welcome to the forum and congrats on your baby.

I know there are moms here who have breastfed their babies while they were on Sub - hopefully some of them will chime in soon. Or you can look through some of the other posts in the Pregnancy forum and I'm sure you will run across some info. New mamas, being busy and all :D tend to post less frequently, but I think a lot of them check in pretty regularly.

I don't have any links to studies to give you, but it is my understanding that very little of the medication passes into breastmilk and what does would be processed out by the baby's liver so it shouldn't have any effect on the baby.

Best of luck to you and keep us posted!

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:12 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

i just had a baby 6 weeks ago and i breastfed, my dr actually recommends it i think, he does alot of studies on subutex and pregnancy at a big teaching hospital here, i think he has the girls on methadone bf too, from what the nurses said at the hospital, i dont know anything about that, but i bf my son for almost a month, i had to stop because i had to get on lithium and that medication i cant bf on :( my dr pretty much explained to me that the drug companies dont want to say its ok, because there hasnt been studies, although lots of women have bf on it, but they dont want to be liable... he said that only a lil is excerted (sp) into the milk and since the baby swallows it he wont get anything pretty much, he also said that so little goes through that say if ur baby had nas, bfing wouldnt help subside the w/ds so not much could go through if thats the case, they just tell u to monitor the baby for excessive sleepiness, lethargic, couple things like that, which i never experienced :) i say bf, its an awesome experience if you can do it, even if its just a lil while, like i said i just did a few weeks, and it was great! i actually thought at first bfing would be more time consuming than bottle, ha i was wrong it was so much easier especially night time feedings, its great! not to mention all the benifits the baby gets, now i formula feed and it sucks lol, his poop stinks, bm poop barely smells like anything, and its just annoying to always have to make bottles :) good luck hope i was able to help somewhat

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:57 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks for your responses - I appreciate your feedback. At this point I plan to breastfeed and hope everything works out well. From what i"ve read on this forum, it seems like breastfeeding has been a positive experience for most mothers who were / are on sub. And like you said, the drug companies aren't going to recommend it because no studies have been done. I'm just hoping that when I give birth at the hospital no one gives me a hard time for wanting to breastfeed (because my doctors know i'm on suboxone). Since there are obviously differing opinions on this and the RB doesn't recommend it, I hope the nurses don't force me to bottle feed my baby in the hospital after she's born. That has been kind of concerning to me - If I'm told I shouldn't breastfeed, but do it anyway, I wonder if that will cause me any problems? I'm wondering if I should just listen to what they tell me to do or stick up for myself? Who knows what's going to happen - maybe no one will say anything... I just don't want this to turn into an issue right after I've given birth.