It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: breastfeeding.......
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:29 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So, I have been nursing my son since birth, about 6 months now, he had no issues with w/d anything like that.. he was a perfect happy health 9lb boy. So my sub dr kept me on subutex bc I was nursing... so 6 months goes by and today I get a call from him telling me I either "have to stop nursing or stop taking subutex" Ive told him many times before I plan to nurse beyond one year an let my son self wean himself from nursing....
he said he read a report saying it isn't good... but sucha minimal amount of subutex is passed thru breastmilk and sub isnt absorbed thru ingestion.... so Im thinking he is either pulling that info outve his ass... he hasnt been one to know very much about suboxone and treatment.. mostly a money maker...
anyways Im trying to figure out if he can legally do that... and just wtf! Things that have changed, I've been with him since he opened and charged 150 per month... so fast forward to today.. in two years he has increased him amount to 250.. he just increased it to 250 this month.. but bc i was here and have been a continued patient my fee is 150 still...
could he be trying to push me out so he can have room for another patient at 250...
it doesnt seem to be legal to me that he can just tell me I have to stop breastfeeding suddenly.. which I dont plan on doing.. or to quit taking subutex.. which I also dont plan on doing.. I wish he werent such a flake and knew what he was talking about....

any advice? My apt with him is tomorrow..well see how it goes.. or if he is even planning on writing me a script or just cutting me off.. Im freaking out

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:49 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This wonderful lady called Bupemom just had a baby (on Sub) and she attended a conference not long ago that dealt with this exact issue and basically what she reported is that breastfeeding IS indeed safe!!!!

Here's the link to her thread about it:

http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3286

I wish I had known this back in '07 when I had my baby (on Subutex like you) because I didn't breastfeed and now I really regret that. My doctor told me it wasn't okay because not enough information was available. Maybe you can let your doc know of these results and he can look into it?

I'm really happy, though, for you that you got to enjoy the breastfeeding experience and had a healthy baby. It's always awesome to hear those things!!!

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:12 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

thank you :) Unfortunately not many know about the effects and just to be safe and cover their asses... the recommend the opposite.. I plan to take a lot of literature and printouts and studies into him tomorrow.. well see what happens.. I hope hes open minded to looking into it..
he said something about me having to take the baby to a pediatric dr to have him weaned..... UMMMM Are you kidding me!?!?! thats what I thought... that he isnt really that ignorant.. lol.. well maybe you can have more babies :)
thanks again... Ill let everyone know what happens...
Im hoping to become more active on here.. maybe we can help educate and reschool the close minded biased drs...im pretty that about 80% of the supposed "NAS" is primarily drs/nurses who arent very informed on subutex... they think of it being just like methadone.. and of course the whole "junkie" mentality that comes with being on it... its so sad.. Im sure that effects how they treat the mothers and their babies...
I bet if the drs werent aware of the subutex more then half of the babies would have been sent home and been like every other perfectly "normal" healthy baby...
I really hope we can get the right info out there and more studies are being done... we DEF need them!!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Unlike methadone, bupe has no effect when swallowed (that's why we have to take it sublingually). So even if it passes into the breastmilk it will not affect the baby when s/he swallows it. It sounds like the doc is covering his ass. I usually advocate rigorous honesty, but in this case I would just tell the doc that you are weaning and keep right on breastfeeding!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:38 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

So sorry I did not find this post sooner!! I am annoyed with your doc. I agree w/ previous comments- your doc is likely trying to cover his ass, and to tell him that you're weaning your baby. Eff him!!! I was told by my sub doc, midwives, perinatologists, lactation consultant, pediatrician, and the freaking neonatalogists that monitored by baby for NAS that not only was it safe, but beneficial to breast feed. And then there's the research from Johns Hopkins etc... So, it sounds like your doc has ulterior motives. Maybe he wants to switch you to suboxone and doesn't want you to breastfeed on that? I dunno. Anyway, I hope it all worked out. Let us know what happened!! :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:44 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

laddertipper wrote:
This wonderful lady called Bupemom
:oops:
laddertipper wrote:
just had a baby (on Sub) and she attended a conference not long ago that dealt with this exact issue and basically what she reported is that breastfeeding IS indeed safe!!!!

Here's the link to her thread about it:

http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3286

Lol, I was busy getting my baby home from the hospital!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:33 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

That is so annoying! I am so sorry you are put in this situation...what ended up happening?? I exclusively breastfed my baby from birth until 20 months (he is now 2) on Sub. NO ISSUES WHATSOEVER. Not to mention, I completely took myself off Suboxone at 16 mg/day (DO NOT RECCOMEND!) when he was 18 months old, and did not notice any differences with him during that time either (except my milk supply was wacky because my body was wacky). This stuff drives me crazy. Breastfeeding is an amazing thing for a baby, and Sub has limited amounts passed through breastmilk. BELIEVE ME, I reaserched this like crazy during my pregnancy with him, and I also work in Maternity at our hospital, so talked to OB's, perinatologist, Neonatologist, pediatricians, lactation consultatants (who were my fav), all of them completely promoting breastfeeding on Sub, adding that it is even more beneficial for the baby.

I hope your Doc gets his stuff straight. DO NOT WEAN YOUR BABY IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO! You DO NOT have to do that! And don't get off your Sub either. That is CRAZY! I would be looking into a new sub doctor forsure! If he cant support your nursing, then screw him.

Let us know what happened!
--Sarah