It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Breastfeeding
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ive read conflicting info on breastfeeding on suboxone. Anyone know if its truly safe? Ive been breastfeeding and my son doesnt seem to be bothered by it and my understanding is that very little gets to him. Anyone have experience with this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:49 am 
I remember reading a study (I think it was from back in 2003 in Australia) about Suboxone or Subutex in pregnancy/breastfeeding. As I recall it said that both bupe and nalaxone were present in breastmilk at the same levels as were present in the maternal serum (blood). However, because the infant is receiving the breastmilk orally (obviously) the presence of these medications is mostly eliminated as the milk is digested by the baby. Therefore not much, if any, significant levels of these drugs would be found in the baby's system.
To my knowledge there are no more current studies about this issue out there. I wish there were. We need to know more about the effects of bupe on pregnancy and breastfeeding as there will be more and more patient populations who are opiate addicted and of child-bearing age. As far as I know, the standard of care for an opiate addicted pregnant woman is still Methadone maintenance, which to me would seem far inferior to bupe. (If I am incorrect about this, feel free anyone to set me straight.) Most of the time, until and unless there are more studies available, standards of care are not likely to change.
Anecdotely, the posts I've read online seem to indicate that moms and babies are doing well with breastfeeding while on bupe. They say their babies are meeting all the normal milestones and seem healthy and happy.
Hope that helps a little. I'm not a doctor and this is just information that I am recalling from memory. If you'll do a google search for 'Suboxone and pregnancy or breastfeeding' I bet you'll find more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:16 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks a ton.
My son is almost 3 months, and I have been on subs for 1 month. Doesnt seem to have any withdrawals or be effected, but ya never know "down the road". I had to make a decision whether to go on Subs and still breastfeed, or not to go on them, as bottle feeding wasnt an option as far as I was concerned. It was a tough choice, but I think the right one.
Thanks again