It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:13 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi, so I took 1-2 mg of subutex through my whole pregnancy and my baby seemed to be ok when he was born. I've been breast feeding for about 2 weeks and still everything seemed ok but 3 days ago I got switched to suboxone instead because my insurance company said they would only cover the subutex while I was pregnant. I feel like I can't really get a staight answer out of dr.s since they don't know much about it. Last night my baby started to be very squirmy, crying a lot and trying to suck on his hand which I was told could be signs of withdrawal. I'm ver scared of NAS so I don't know if he's just fussy, gassy or hungry and I'm just being paranoid and over worried. Could switching from subutex to suboxone while breast feeding put my baby in withdrawal? It seems unlikely since they are the same drug but I can't relax and can't get staight answers from the pediatrician. I need advice please and thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:36 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hello and welcome to the forum. Congrats on your little one. Sounds like he is doing well. I can't answer your questions directly,however I would like to point you over to the suboxone Talk Zone. Dr Junig,who owns this forum,writes many articles on many subjects.go over there and look for a post entitled Suboxone and newborns. I jumped over an gave it a quick read. It may help you and educate.. hope this helps.His blog has taught me plenty. Best of luck.. razor.....

Post subject: dont thik so
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:56 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

hi
after my first-she was constantly sucking hard on things and woek up every 2 hours-she was fussy and gassy. they develop the next month or two a lot per intestines etc-if he had no wd till now-it is not wd.
subozone has the same amount of bupe.
i beleive it is normal. my daghter was born to me drug free=thru the whole pregnancy and if we sat them sat by side-it would havel ooked the same. dont be paranoid. follow your gut talk to the doc about gas and birping and all that newborn stuff.
hope that helps.

sorry for the spelling im on a phone.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I switched back to suboxone after my sons birth and he's been breastfed for five months now without any problems. Remember both nalaxone and buprenorphine are practically inactive orally. So whatever tiny bits exist in your milk are swallowed before they can absorb in the babies mouth and are destroyed in the stomach. Any kind of bupe is definitely a "good outweighs the bad" thing with breastfeeding.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:17 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Your baby is just fine, mama! My doctors knew I was on suboxone, and it came up in my tox screen after I gave birth. I was never on Subutex, besides the first trimester of my pregnancy. They are generally the same exact drug. You wouldn't see WD symptoms from switching. Anything your baby MAY get, would be literally trace amounts. I mean so little she 99% wouldn't feel the effects. My son had to stop breast feeding at 3mos because he was very sensitive to milk, soy & gluten and he never experienced any WD symptoms, even coming off of my milk completely.

The same concerns come up with antidepressants and anxiety medication. It's rarely transferred to the baby via milk. Take a breath. You're a great mama for being concerned, but your baby is just fine! Like the previous poster said, your baby will be going through growth spurts right now, and may experience some discomfort and need MUCH more milk for a couple of weeks!

Babycenter.com is a great forum for baby issues. Join your birth club!(the month you had your baby) there's thousands of women who had theirs the same month you did, and can help you see that these are normal baby problems. (: