It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:14 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I'm 40w3d today. My hospital requires a (minimum) 5 day stay for the baby to monitor him for withdrawals. I'm planning on staying with him as long as needed to breastfeed, so I was curious about other experiences people have had with that.
Did anyone exclusively breastfeed? I don't want to pump if I can avoid it.
What was it like staying in the NICU to feed every couple of hours? They said I can stay there for as long as he's there (sleeping in a chair), which sounds miserable, but not as miserable as leaving him, and I want to do what's best for him.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:46 pm 

I'm sorry that no one got back to you to answer your question!

How are you and the baby doing now?

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Many hospitals have housing options for parents or SO's of patients. Ronald McDonald House, locally we have the Gerieke house. A social worker should be able to assist you.
Many NICU's have rooming in (or nearby) options as well.
Many advocate for breast feeding if you are only on buprenorphine.
hope all is well.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:46 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi there jupiter2812! I'm sorry I'm late to the party here, but I was going to mention the Ronald McDonald House as well. It's where my family stayed while my son was in the NICU. I don't know if it's the same in every hospital, but while they were monitoring my baby at the hospital I gave birth at, they let me try to nurse right away. But, once he was sent to the NICU in Louisville, it was exclusive pumping from there. The reason why is that they have to make sure he gets a consistent amount of breastmilk every feeding because if not, and say one feeding he gets less, he will withdrawal from the breastmilk and start scoring even when they don't wean his morphine. I know also that they go over all your meds to make sure they are ok to take while breastfeeding, and at the one we were at the doctor had to put specific orders in before the nurses would give him any breastmilk. For example, not only will they say if the baby can have breastmilk or not, but they will set an amount he has to have per feeding, and that amount has to stay the same. I had a low milk supply issue so they wouldn't even start my son on breastmilk until I had a stash built up because they were worried about him getting abruptly cut off, which actually did happen later on because the nurses failure to communicate that his stash at the hospital was running low. So he basically started scoring really high and withdrawaling all day long while I had a new stash sitting in my freezer. It really upset me, so I would say to make sure if you do the breastmilk to always always always check how much they have so that won't happen to you. I'm not meaning to scare you or anything like that. All hospitals are different but I just want you to know it's one simple thing you can do to make sure that never happens to your little baby, is just simply ask how much breastmilk he has remaining everyday when you leave the hospital. Good luck mama! Congrats on the baby!