It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:40 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I came across this site today as I was learning more information about suboxone. I started suboxone 2 days ago after about a year long battle with addiction to opiates. My drug of choice was hydrocodone but I wasn't all that particular. Percocet, oxycodone, or Tussionex would do just fine for me as well. I became addicted to opiates after some major dental problems were found and several painful procedures had to be performed over a couple of months to make my mouth normal again. My mouth got fixed, but that was the least of my problems. My big problem now was that I was physically, chemically, and mentally addicted to painkillers. I LOVED the way they made me feel. I have never smoked a cigarette, done an illegal drug, or been drunk in my entire life and I'm 32 years old. That's why this has been so hard for me to accept, deal with, and to finally (just recently) admit to. I have a georgeous wife (trust me on this one), 3 beautiful, talented, smart, athletic, children, a great job (GM at a car dealership that I've worked at for 15 years), and consider myself one of the luckiest people on the planet. I'm one of those people that you ask yourself why in the world I could let this happen. Or maybe you don't ask that, but I certainly asked it of myself over and over and over again. I basically ran out of meds last week and didn't see any possible way of obtaining any more without serious risk of my freedom and I wasn't about to let that happen. Rock bottom, I'm not sure you could call it, but definitely a defining moment in my addiction cycle. I had heard about Suboxone from the internet and by the grace of God found 1 doctor in my city of 200,000 people who prescribed it. I made an appointment with the counselor first for screening and wouldn't you know that when I got there she was somebody I knew!!! I'm not sure who was more in shock, her or me!!! It actually wound up working out pretty good though. I couldn't hide it anymore, I couldn't lie anymore, put on a front anymore, I had to tell her everything and it felt incredible to do that FINALLY!!! I hadn't told a sole, not my wife, my parents, coworkers, children, nobody knows. I'm a "functioning" addict I guess you could say. Anyway, I was about 24 hours without opiates when I was given my first dose of Suboxone ( I had been taking roughly 10-20 10mg hydros a day for almost a year). I felt a little better after about 20 minutes and he gave me another dose. About half an hour later I felt "normal." I haven't felt normal in a long, long, long time. I've now been on for 3 days, haven't had even the slightest desire to take a pill or find an opiate (I"m completely out anyway as I said earlier), and I feel fantastic!!!! This doctor seems to be very knowledgeable about addiction and mandates that you visit him and his counselor once a week here in the beginning to make sure you're doing ok, help you deal with the "real" issues that brought you to this addiction in the first place, and to make sure your dose is correct. I don't know what the future of me and suboxone holds, but I know for certain that I"d be in MUCH WORSE shape right now had I not found this. I haven't woke up needing a pill before I get out of bed this week and that feels awesome. Hopefully, I can deal with my addiction in a way and a manner that I'm not ashamed of, learn to understand it without being desperate, and finally admit to myself and my loved ones of the problems I've been facing for the last 12 months. Thanks for listening. Any advice, input, suggestions would be appreciated (as long as they are legal here in the forum!!!).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That's so great to hear I know for me the best part of starting Suboxone was not waking up in the middle of the night in withdrawals, no more horrible horrible mornings when you can't find anything, and no more spending most of my time trying to get more. I tried inpatient detox I tried cold turkey I tried 12-step programs I did everything I was asked to do but the cravings were still there! I totally agree it's not a perfect medication but it took away the cravings which after trying everything else was a miracle to me. Something else I've learned from meeting all kinds of opiate addicts is that the disease doesn't discriminate. I think all of us would like to know what caused us to become opiate addicts and lord knows I've spent alot of time thinking about it, recently though I've started to see it as just the way things are so I wouldn't waste time beating myself up if I were you I did that at first and it only made me feel worse. Anyways glad your here Jim keep us posted as to how things are going and be sure to chime in on various topics on the forum if you get a chance 8)

Post subject: welcome
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Glad your here and that you found your way to suboxone. You will find as you go along your journey that there are plenty of people just like you and me. I was married and very successful and lost it all to opiate and alcohol addiction. I have been on Suboxone for 2 1/2 months now and it has saved my life. I am an active member of AA and I have accepted the fact that I am an alcoholic and drug addict.....I have a disease and I am getting help for it. Please stay in touch with us and let us know how your doing. There are some post on here that might be able to help as you deal with your new lifestyle a new way of life. Suboxone has helped to give me the freedom to choose................and I choose sober and happy. Good Luck.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:14 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Lol, I think all of us wonder why this happened to us at some point or another.

When it comes down to it, getting high just feels really good. Whether you're an executive with a 6-figure salary, a housewife with little kids, a student, a pain patient, unemployed, high achiever, slacker, whatever - opiates made us feel good and we chased that feeling right into addiction.j

Lucky for us there's a way out. You just have to work at it. Even though the Suboxone makes you feel normal, there's still work to do.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:35 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

So glad to hear another person found they're way to SUB. And yeah, don't worry about the how and the why. You will find your way out and suboxone is the tool that will help you. Keep reading all the posts. They will really encourage you.