It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:43 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Just a little update...

Tom is finally seeing the light, and has begun taking his suboxone on a regular basis. He's keeping it to a minimum, 2 mgs per day, but it works for him, and it keeps both the painkillers and the W/D symptoms away. He's in a better mental & emotional place, and my thanks to those who gave advice and lifted him up in prayer.

I'll keep in touch...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:20 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Sobriety is for people who want it not need it. That's the hard part, getting people who need it to want it. Does that make any sense? Good to hear from you. I was just thinking about you and Tom today. Keep us posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Smoothy1125 wrote:
Sobriety is for people who want it not need it. That's the hard part, getting people who need it to want it. Does that make any sense? Good to hear from you. I was just thinking about you and Tom today. Keep us posted.

Thanks, Smoothy, for the encouragement. Tom's doing better - we went back to the doctor yesterday and all is going very well. He's accepted that he'll need to continue his suboxone therapy for an extended time, as his brain heals itself. Feeling better doesn't mean he's 100% better... It's so good to see him sober, more energetic and content with himself. Again, my thanks for the encouragement - it truly made a difference to him...

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:53 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Again, just an update. So many people contributed helpful advice and expressed concern, that I figured I'd include periodic updates.

Tom is doing very well. He continues taking 2-4 mg of suboxone/day and is in fine spirits. I've accompanied him in weekly visits to the doctor we found, and the doc feels he's improved so much, that he only wants to see Tom once a month from here on out.

Of course, I continue encouraging him, and am watchful for signs of PAWS syndrome - but so far, so good. It's nice to report an ongoing successful recovery.

God bless those of you who contributed to this effort...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:31 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hello Jt314 and Tom,

I am so glad that Tom is doing well!! You are such a good friend :) Is must be so great to have you as a support network! I wish you both the best, keep up the good work!! :) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:05 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello all,

I haven't given an update in a month... and that's good news. No news is good news, right? :)

I wanted to keep the people who responded updated - those who responded were so helpful, when Tom was in the midst of his battles with addiction.

Tom is still doing very well. He faithfully remains clean and determined. He's still taking 2 mg Subox per day, and - even though he still doesn't like taking it, because he still believes that having to take suboxone shows he's "weak"... he knows that he must take it. And he does.

Also... Tom has realized that he - like all of us - has a God-shaped vacuum, that only He can fill. He has entered into a relationship with the living God, and has found peace and contentment - to an extent, given this life's tribulations - with the Lord. His new found faith has shown him that this relationship is what gives us meaning to life. It gives us something to live for, not the narcisstic self-pleasing tendencies of youth. I had the privilege of sharing my faith with him, and I thank God for that, every day.

So, thank you, everyone that helped get him clean. I truly pray that God bless you all, for the gift of wisdom, sharing and comfort you gave him as he struggled with his addiction.

JT314

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:49 pm 
Thank you for the update jt! I'm so glad Tom is doing so much better! What a wonderful friend you are to him!
Getting into recovery from addiction is really difficult and is a long and winding road for most of us. Even with the Suboxone to help (which it does greatly) there is still so much to be done in terms of getting and staying better. I agree with you wholeheartedly that faith/spirituality/belief systems are invaluable in this process! I do believe that there is that proverbial 'God-sized' hole in most of us addicts that must be filled in order to go on with our lives as addicts in recovery. There are many who vehemtly disagree with me on the issue, but I stand by my belief that the one true God is the only entity who is powerful enough, loving enough, forgiving enough, and consistently full of grace and redemption enough to bring me back to wholeness. I believe that the reason I fell into addiction in the first place was largely because I had allowed myself to drift so far away from a daily relationship with God.
Now, I am not suggesting that there is no hope for recovery for anyone who isn't a Christian.....not at all. That would be ridiculous! I will suggest that most addicts in recovery must surely have the need for some form of spirituality or belief in some force that is of help to them.....some kind of practice that addresses that part of us that goes beyond the physical anyway. That's just my humble opinion and I'm no better than anyone else.
I'm just thrilled for your friend...that he has found recovery and a relationship with God. I pray he continues on this positive path that you have played a big role in placing before him. You're a good friend indeed!