It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: I'm a bonehead
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:21 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi all! So as I was saying, I'm a bone head. I've been taking suboxone for six years, and have had dosing issues. It seems when I dose, either I feel over medicated or as if I took nothing at all. I've read a ton of research to figure this out. I take meds at same time, brush and listerine, hold juices in, don't eat or drink for an hour, start with dry mouth, etc. Nothing worked, and most times I felt as though I got no meds at all and was in real withdrawal so I would take more and run out early. I chalked it up to the medicine getting too hot or to cold in transit. I also have been very down on myself, I read how a lot of patients take 2 or 4 mgs. I'm still in 16! I thought it was all in my head, so I tried to cut back, didn't work. The other day, I believe jennjenn said something about film placement and absorption. So I went to suboxone website to see if I was missing something and I sure was. It said to put film under tongue far back. Well, I wasn't doing that, I would just pop it in, someone's sticking to the bottom of my mouth which I thought was no biggie, but for me it was. This morning I was careful in placement and holy crap I feel like I'm gonna od,so strong and uncomfortable. Is been a few hours and I think it's starting to calm down a bit. I could've taken a quarter of my dose this morning.

Post subject: Re: I'm a bonehead
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:24 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Oops sometimes sticking not someone's sticking lol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi pug mommy,

That is interesting. I truly think it works differently for different people. I used to put the subs under my tongue and it did not work nearly as effectively for me . What works for me is putting it on the top part of my gums. Between my front lip and gum. It stays in place longer . And is dryer there.

I used to think that it did not matter where in your mouth the subs go. Because the mouth is full of absorption membranes. But the upper part works best for me.

I guess we all Know what works best for us by" trial and error."

So , that being said... Glad you found what works for you.!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:31 pm 

Hey pugmommy :)

Glad u found what works! Once I tried putting my strip on the inside of my cheek (because someone on the forum had mentioned it awhile bk) and it didn't work so well for me. I thought...Hey if it gives me better absorption, why not try lol well needless to say I went bk to my normal way again. Absorption is pretty important. That's why maybe some say that their ceiling level is higher than 4mg. And think about it, why wouldn't it be? I know I don't get the best absorption that I could be sometimes because unfortunately I speak every now and then and swallow earlier every now and then. It could effect it differently than someone who's doing it exactly the right way doing the exact same dose. I don't know really but it's definitely something to think about. Regardless I'm very glad u found out what u think was keeping u from getting the best absorption for u and I think ur right, u probably weren't getting the best that u could have been, so good job and better late than never right?

It took me a yr or so being on suboxone before I found this forum. I'm so thankful for it because I've learned so much from here that my Dr probably doesn't even know lol. I always think how incredibly more helpful it would have been if I'd found it when I started suboxone....but I'm just glad I found it :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:07 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Raudy, thanks for reply! Ya, I was thinking same thing too, it doesn't matter where in the mouth. But when I think back to when I first started on tablets, I would shove those things back far and no problems. I forgot about this, it's surprising what the mind will dig up in the past. Somewhere along the line I guess I got lazy and stopped doing that. Jennjenn, I have read a lot of your responses to people and I have to say you always give great advice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:13 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Oh and now I see on reckitt benkiser site they say to either put under tongue or inside of cheek. I have only had 8 mgs today which is half my dose and I still feel way over medicated. :shock: Didn't even want to smoke today, big bonus. I'm hoping this stuff wears off over night, no way I'm taking more for awhile. Thank you both so much for responding :wink: