It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Blue cross
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:45 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey does anyone know if blue cross blue shilled covers the suboxone film? I really would love to make the switch but when I called all they said was we cover suboxone. Does that maybe men film to? Does anyone have blue cross and gets the film? Thanks alot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It depends on your particular policy and coverage. I have BC/BS in Michigan and Medco handles my prescription coverage. The film is covered under my policy. I was able to go to Medco's website and check my coverage on any medication. Maybe you can do the same?

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:49 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Yes thanks hat. I will check that out I really hope so. I just think the film would fit into my lifestyle better then the pills. Just because the amount of time it takes to dissolve.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:35 pm 
Hey Thesphinx!!

I dont take the films however, i do have BCBS. I actually take something that my policy doesnt usually cover. This may help, it may not but i figured i would tell you anyways. I take subutex and was taking the generic which my insurance covers. The generic didnt work well for me at all so i had to switch to the namebrand subutex. Well, my insurance company just switched from express-scripts, to MedImpact. So, we called and they said they didnt cover it at first, however my prescription was signed DAW, or dispense as written. Being that the doctor made strict instuctions that i take only namebrand the insurance company approved it. My point being, if your doctor has written your prescription for the films, you should be able to call the people who actually handle the medication part of your insurance and tell them your doctors instructions and they will possibly go ahead and approve it. Like i said, this may or may not help you. I dont know but i did want to put it out their just in case. Maybe you could call them an specify that your doctor has prescribed strictly the film. Somebody would have to be able to tell you one way or another. They cant just say, well we cover suboxone and thats all i know. I would keep getting them to transfer me until you found someone who knew what you were talking about. Anyways, hope this helps!! Goodluck!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have bluecross while on suboxone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:05 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Why does my b and b sheild cover suboxone great but only cover 5 buprenorphine at a time. I switched today to get this b s news. I had it approved with my insurance a week ago to find out they didn't know how the plan worked. Im real down about this i don't like continuously pumping nalaxone in my body when i've never iv ed drugs ever. So they will fill a script six times a month? How ignorant can they be on this one. Any body had this problem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:57 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

i have bc/bs in NJ and I just filled a suboxone film script for 60 of the 8mg. $35 copay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That's pretty good Alans. I get 30 day supply regardless of amount...$25.00 co-pay. But then I'm in N.Y. I have medicare & my retirement employer supplements rx.

Queenie

Post subject: Coverage
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:53 pm 

I have the federal version of BCBS in Ca., and they cover both the pills and the film with a $40 co-pay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:43 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I take Suboxone and have BCBS of GA. The pre approved me for 1 year. Doc had to fax something over

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:05 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I hope I don't come across as an asshole, as I'm not trying to be...

But your insurance company name doesn't really mean much when it comes to what they cover...

What MATTERS, is the PLAN that you're employer or that you have chosen. THAT is where the coverage for certain medications comes into play.

My spouse works for Alabama Power. They have SEVERAL different choices when it comes to the plan, but we chose a BYO plan. That stands for "Build Your Own", where we pick the medical deductibles, the RX deductibles, etc.

But..here's the real kicker..the PRESCRIPTION coverage is handled by Caremark...which is CVS. Like, we have a card with CVS/Caremark logo on it and all, that's what we present when we fill at a pharm that we've never used.

Luckily, most ALL of the major pharms are in the caremark network, even places like Fred's and such are in it..

I've been getting my scripts filled with Fred's since I started, because I was an out-of-pocket patient that had to pay for my Suboxone full-price to begin with..and Fred's was the CHEAPEST!!! $6.90 each for the pill (and I have NO clue on the film's full price).

I also knew the pharmacist there, and he was a VERY nice guy..we would talk and carry on for 30 or 45 minutes each month when I would come in..I think he was proud of me and once I cleaned myself up, I was in a class of people that was worth talking to.

The VERY few times that I did risk it and fill a script for opiates, I never went to him..but I could've probably forged with him and he may have looked over it becuase he's always been a very caring person.

I remember once, when I first got really dependent on Suboxone, I was having to buy them 2 & 3 at a time..until payday..

Well, Fred's pharmacy closed at 6:30pm ...and they weren't open on Sundays at all.
I had to sell a couple of my pills to have money for gas+stuff, plus I was running low and on Saturday evening, I only had 4 left to last me until Monday morning...so I got neurotic and scared I was running out (you know, that Suboxone + addict mentality). I really thought I was going to die...I guess..or the thoughts overwhelmed me.

So at 5pm, I called into Freds and told him "Hey, I need 3 of my suboxone, and I'll be right down...but if you guys leave before I can get there, can you just leave them at the front of the store for me, since they close at 8pm and you guys close at 6:30pm?"

He agreed, no problem, and said they would be up front if I wasn't in by 6:30pm.

He forgot. I got there RIGHT AT 6:35 and they didn't have any meds up front.
Geez..now what was I going to do!!!???

Anyway, Monday morning I went in and picked up..and the guy REFUSED to let me pay the full $20 or whatever it was for 3 of them..he was NOT going to take no for an answer, and was going to either give me $10 for my gas, or take $10 off the price of the script because I drove down there Saturday night for nothing. He felt TERRIBLE. I told him it was no big deal and he didn't have to do that..but like I said, he refused to let me pay full price!!

Anyway, back to the insurance thing...
You're all going to have different scenarios, because your employer has the option to a)pick a couple of plans to allow you to choose from, and the bigger the company, the better the plans and more services/meds are covered.

And the largest companies will let you design your own plan, and pick your copay, like Southern Company / Alabama Power does it's employees. We have 7 options for insurance + RX to choose from. Each of them is different in it's own way, with different employee contributions.