It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:24 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I was just wondering if anyone else has had bloody or painful stool. About one week after starting Suboxone I started having bloody stool and it hurts very bad when I have a bowel movement. I don't have any GI bleeding unless I have a bowel movement. Sorry to talk about something a little bit gross but I wanted to know if I was the only one. I have heard of constipation but not this.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:29 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

jastover wrote:
I was just wondering if anyone else has had bloody or painful stool. About one week after starting Suboxone I started having bloody stool and it hurts very bad when I have a bowel movement. I don't have any GI bleeding unless I have a bowel movement. Sorry to talk about something a little bit gross but I wanted to know if I was the only one. I have heard of constipation but not this.

If it's really bad constipation [and it can *very* bad with opiates], try using Miralex every day. Alternatively, you can use ducosate sodium, though I have found consistent, daily use of Miralex to be the best. They are both OTC at the pharmacy. You don't want to mess around w/ severe constipation [again, if that is what it is - bleeding and pain aren't unusual w/ severe constipation] - you could develop an impaction and have to go to the ER. I would talk to your doctor and start a regular program to handle constipation if that is the problem. Until you get it under control (3- 5 days or so after starting Miralex depending on how bad the problem is), you can use a fleet enema and ducosate to help. Add fiber to your diet as well....bananas, other fruit, whole grains...

Hope this helps - good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:59 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks so much for your reply. I am not 100% sure it is constipation. I still have regular bowel movements. Atleast daily or every over day. I am willing to try anything to fix this problem though. I am going to go ahead and try the Miralax. Thanks again for your response. Have a great day.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

jastover wrote:

When I was on suboxone, my runs disappeared which I had on any other opiate (chronic pancreatitis?).

Well, suboxone. I was SEVERELY constipated.
I was lucky to go every 2 weeks. It was a welcome side effect. Usually everything shoots through me, but suboxone stopped that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:46 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

ask you Dr. for Krystalose. very mild laxative that you take everyday and works fabulously. I been dealing with constipation since the start.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:07 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have read about that but never talked to anyone who has taken it. It doesn't give you the "RUNS" does it? Thanks for the input. Have a great day.

Post subject: I have the same problem
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:07 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Sorry to have to say it this way :( ,but I was happy to read you also have that problem, and the responces to it!!
I also just started suboxone a week ago(thank god),and am very constipated, also associated with blood and oh my God does it hurt!
So your not alone out there, :lol: and you helped me get some answers to help.
So thank you
Patty

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:48 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I know it's been a while since the last post, but.. I just wanted to mention one thing that always seems to work well for anyone taking >4mg qd of Suboxone: drinking enough water. I say >4mg qd because doses of 4mg qd or less generally aren't enough to cause painful constipation. Staying hydrated is important for many cellular/bodily functions, not just digestion. It is a very good idea to drink at least four 8oz. glasses of water each day while on any opioid-assisted treatment program. Opiates cause dehydration, which is why many people get headaches, constipation, dizziness and other side effects. Start drinking more water and see if many of the negative side-effects of opiate use begin to go away..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:29 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I am very aware of painful bowel movements I know exactly what you mean. I'm still looking for a good solution Lately, I've been drinking prune juice daily and it seems to help. Unfortunately, I'm not able to all the time because of my schedule. But itt seems that several good gulps a day does help some, and it's a natural remedy.