It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: blood pressure question
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:07 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Ok... so I am officially not having a smooth start. I normally run a BP of 90/50. Today, I woke up super shaky, some w/d symptoms and my bp was 137/77. And I can feel it. I see my dr. tomorrow, but do you guys have any thoughts. THis is day 20 at 3mg and I seem to be developing more symptoms that feel like w/d instead of settling in at this dose. What I did this morning is take 1.5 mg instead of 1.0 mg and see if that settles the feeling maybe that will provide some answers. I have been ambivalent to increase cuz it wasn't so bad, but also I was thinking maybe I was on too much rather than too little. So ( i'm an RN for crying out loud) I figured this is worth a try. What do people know about Sub and BP and also is increased BP related to chronic w/d symptoms. Off to tai chi class!
Thanks so much for all the help here. Can't wait for things to chill.
Anita

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:31 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wow, Anita, that's a really low normal BP! Regardless, your new BP is high in comparison and high BP is a sign of withdrawals. If I were you I would bump up my dose (which is what you did, right?). See if that helps. There's nothing wrong with bumping up your dose just a tad bit. So you took 1.5 mg this morning instead of 1.0 and this afternoon you'll take another 1.0, thus raising your dose to 2.5 instead of 2.0. I'd wait to see if that helps at all.

You can also ask your doctor for some Clonidine. It's a blood pressure med that's very often used for opiate withdrawals. It will lower your BP and make you feel much better.

Please keep us updated and i hope you feel better soon.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:54 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Hatmaker, once again, thanks for that prompt reply. I am so appreciative. I did bump up my dose by 0.5mg and my I was taking 1 mg 3x a day so now I am on 3.5 mg. It's taken the edge off and my bp is down to 117/77 now and I feel a little better. I think my issue is I can't even tell like other people if I feel like I'm in withdrawal as I was in it for so long every night. I have kind of acclimated to it. I see the dr. tomorrow, none too soon. All my best and I'll report back. I'm really looking at this right now as this is my new medicine to help me feel normal again.. and the taper will happen. But my neurotransmitters need some settlin'. ;)
Anita

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:53 pm 
Anita, I wonder if we aren't having some sort of enhanced serum cortisol response in the mornings?

I know cortisol is usually highest in the early am and stays elevated for awhile. It is all involved with the waking response.....I am a disabled ER nurse too, yeah I know I'm not splainin' it very well, lol! anyway....

Cortisol cranks the sympathetic nervous system and that is where the elevated b/p comes in with the w/d. I am on a betablocker for LQTS and defibrillator BUT I have found my b/p high 180/100 at that 4 am hour that I feel so bad at.
I am on clonidine for w/d symptoms and the doc just called me to say to take the full .1mg every six hours for the next few days. I was only taking .5 BID. I agree with Hat, maybe now is the time for some clonidine. Maybe that with the slight increase in dose will help. I hope so!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:39 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Ok, I have Clonidine from the Methdadone taper and I see the dr. tomorrow so gonna run that by him. The 0.5 extra of Suboxone today has helped a bit, and my blood pressure is back down to 92/62. Thanks for the good advice and my blood vessels thank you as well! Robin, I get the worst early in the a.m. around 06:00 and then mid-day before the afternoon dose. Probably correlates with the times of day that I make posts. :wink: It's gonna get better!!!
Anita

Post subject: BP
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:43 pm 

I was told that Suboxone lowers blood pressure. Is that what everyone else has heard? Mine went down after quitting a nicotine gum habit. That was hell! It could also be other meds too. Mine was high at the time of induction but I was on Tramodal and Soma's too, so stopping those extra meds surely raised my BP.

Luckily you have a regular low BP to start. You're second reading is low for me.

Give it some time and it should even out.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:49 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Oh boy... what a day... I just don't know what it was about day 20 at 3 mg. So.. I started to feel really bad again about a 2 hours ago and I had taken that extra dose of Subox earlier in the day. I took your great advice Hatmaker and Robin and ?... I think someone else and I took some Clonidine. I took .05 mg and within an hour my symptoms have calmed down tremendously. So.. I'll bring all this great advice to my doctor tomorrow. I hope things can settle a bit. So... do people start throwing Clonidine in the mix once you get below the ceiling? My dr. had mentioned using at much lower doses.. but this dose really made me feel 90% better. I cannot tell you enough, how much you all have helped me today! Robin..hang in there!!
Anita

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:16 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Wondering if any of you who have moderated/been on the site for a long time remember people starting Clonidine so soon, around 3mg?

Thanks, Anita

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:36 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Anita,

There isn't any "normal" dose that people usually start taking clonidine at. It's more of when the person starts having withdrawals that need to be treated. If you and your doctor feel that it's time to use the clonidine, then it's time to start using it! I know it can be hard, but try not to compare yourself to how others do things.

And I wanted to tell you how happy I am that you're feeling so much better. :)

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:40 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Anita,

I can't recall anyone starting Clonidine while around 3mg of Suboxone, but I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. It seems like it's helping you and that's what counts.

Opiate wd is pretty well known for increasing blood pressure, mine shot through the roof when I quit. BTW, I stayed on Clonidine for months and months and months and had no issues whatsoever when it came time to stop taking them. I cut my dose in half for a week or so then stopped. I was taking .1mg twice daily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:47 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

You guys are so reassuring and thanks for the valuable advice. As a nurse.. it's hard to not have any compass or insight into this and my dr told me that I'm the first person who has had to start on Clonidine this early.. but I get it. And thanks Romeo... I will likely be on it for months and months. Thanks so much
Anita

Post subject: p.s. to Romeo
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:26 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Romeo, thanks for that extra info about how long you were on Clonidine. You are very tuned into the questions that people want to ask before we even ask them. You are really good at reading between the lines.
Anita

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Heck, I'm still tryin' to make up ground with ya from my first replies to you where I gave you some crappy advice because I didn't read your thread properly!! :lol: :lol:

It looks like I have been forgiven or you forgot it was me who did that.......crap, now I just reminded you that it was me!!! Me and my big mouth! :shock: LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:33 pm 
Hatmaker is right. I was even put on clonidine for a few days when I was rotated from fentanyl patches to MsContin. It can be used at any point that withdrawals symptoms are a problem.

Robin