It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: My birth story
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:10 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Okay Ive been on suboxone/subutex for a little over 2 years. I found out I was pregnany july '11. I switched to subutex. I was taking 2 mgs, around 7 months it started to not be enough so I increased to 4 mgs. I had my daughter 3-26-13. The first 2 days at the hospital I kept asking the nurses if she was having withdrawals, they kept telling me no. I aked if she was even being scored, they said no.The nurse came to get her from my room and said the pediatrician was there to see her said shed bring her right back. An hour later and she hadn't brought her back yet. So I went and got her. The nurse said it was a mistake that the pediatrician wasn't there yet sorry. 1 minute later she came right back to my room and said the pediatrician was now there. I had kept her in my room all night also. So when they brought her back the pediatrician came into my room and she was now withdrawaling. So I had to leave the hospital without her. Around day 6 she scored 8s, 9s, and 1 10 so the pediatrician now wants to medicate her, first he needs a consult with the nicu doctor. The nicu doctor said no shes already reach her max withdrawal and shes out of the risk to have seizures. Also everyday im going to see her and calling every 4 hours. Theyre telling me she having tremors, increased muscle tone, loose stool, sometimes a fever, not sleeping well. But everytime I come see her she sleeps, eats, poops, sleeps more.... So having the second opinion from the nicu doctor who deals with babies having withdrawal says she out of the risk of seizures and too old now to medicate because shes had the worst of it, the pediatrician still wants to keep her for observation. They will not give me my baby. Ive never felt so helpless in my life. I do not believe shes having withdrawal because she acts like a normal newborn baby. I have had a son experience withdrawal off opiates. (GETTING MY TUBES TIED) So I know how a baby acts when they withdrawal. They kept my son 3 days, who had way worse symptons. Shes now scoring 3s,4s, and 5s within 24 hours. Although she did have a 14 in between the 3 and 4. because she cried. Apparently babies aren't allowed to cry. I am on 4 mgs, which today I started taking 2 mgs because im done with the stuff. im so sick of being judged on it, just sick of the pill stuff period.

Post subject: nas scores...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:20 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I also have a copy of the nas scores straight from the hospital. I asked for one. If anyone knows for a way for me to post it let me know and I will gladly post it for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:37 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

oh I am so sorry this is happening to you and your baby both.

So Im really confused about why they are keeping her if they are not giving her any meds? And if the nicu doctor said she has no seizure risk? I would be down there 24/7 asking them to explain everything. Although I know that may not be possible.

Maybe you can ask for a second opinion and calmly discuss your concerns with another doctor. It seems these people are not being reasonable or not explaining themselves. Could your OB help? (if you have one?) What would they do if you signed her out against medical advice?

I guess I just feel bad for you both and hope you can get her home.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Sorry
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Unfortunately, I went thru this with my baby as well. Those scores are all a matter of the nurses opinion. None will ever be the same. They kept my daughter for 10 days. They pumped her with morphine to help with the withdrawls but you don't withdraw from the buprenorphine, its the naloxone. So they gave my 5lb baby morphine that basically was being blocked by the naloxone. I was a wreck and a complete Bitch, I had to be. I was there all day and night and I tell you if I weren't my baby girl would still be in the NICU. You are the mother, you have a say! Even in the scoring! I was told they could have kept her up to 10 months because they were afraid of seizures. However, the longer they keep your baby, the more Money they are making. My daughter its perfectly healthy and there was nothing they did at the hospital that we couldn't do from home! Fight for your baby!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:09 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I am so very saddened to hear your story....

Good for you for asking for a scoring sheet. I remember keeping it so close by and practically memorizing it being so worried they'd score him for a simple sneeze, a cry, making any noise at that!!!! It was so stressful. I never let him leave my room or side. I didn't want them to have any room for their judgement on what's what's. I also breastfeed because that calms them, too bc the small amount of sub in system.

Always here for you darling. Keep us updated, and ill kelp you both in my prayers.

(((Hugs)))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:59 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

She ended up seeing a new doctor the next day and the dr let her come home. It was horrible. Shes su h a good baby though. I truly believe she had no withdrawal. It was a new doctor and i think he was scared. My insurance even called the hospital asking questions. So glad its over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:44 am 

I'm glad to hear that the next doctor had more sense and I'm glad she's a good baby for you! Congratulations!

Amy