It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: My BIRTH story
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:44 pm 
Hi my name is Amber, January of 2011 I decided to make some changes in my life so I got on Suboxen, I hoped to only
be on it until April of 2012 but surprisely I found out I was pregnant January of 2012. Right away I told my pain doc . that I was pregnant , he swicthed me to Subutex. As soon as I went to my Ob-gyn I told him I was on Subutex. Both urged me to stay on my meds, I was taking 8mg in the beginning. My whole pregnancy I stressed over being on this medicine, I have 2 other boys that were born drugfree so I really hated that I was gonna have this baby while using something that could cause him to be addicted , but my doctors reassured me that most likely he would not be addicted . by the time I was 8 months I had to go up on my medicine so by the end of my pregnancy I was taking 12mg of subutex. I had my son On October 11th 2012, the first couple days he seemed like a normal baby. He only wanted to be held by me though no one else could comfort him. Then the score sheet came in the picture and everything went down hill from there . During the day the nurses would tell me he was scoring 5's and 6's but that was just a mild withdrawl but at nite he would score 11 and 13 so I actually did not know if he was going thru bad withdrawls or if it was because the score sheet is just the nurses oppinion, they go by sneezing , sleeping less than 2hrs , yawning more than 4 times in an hr. ,increased muscle tone, not knowing how to suck correctly and sucking a paci really hard and fast but by his 3rd day he was running a tempature so I was sure there had to be some pretty bad withdrawls. They wanted to put him on methadone which my husband and I thought was crazy because the half life on methadone is so much longer so we begged and begged and argued and they finally put him on Morphine. They put him on a low dose of .15 for 2 days then .12 for a day in half now he is on .10 he will stay on that a day or so then they will up his hours from 4 to 6 then to 8 and so on til he don't have to take it anymore. This has been reallly hard for me. Luckily they are letting me stay at the hospital to go in Nicu to feed him and rock him to sleep. I live an hour and half from the hospital so it would've been hard to find a ride everyday bcus I don't have my liscense. At this point I don't know if I made the right choice staying on it thru my pregnancy. It is so heartbreaking to know I have caused this pain for my son. I will say that he weighed 8lbs.7oz. and he was 213/4 long so subutex does not give babies low birth weight. I have been here so far a week today. I will let you guys know how long my whole stay is. With much gratitude I am going down to NICU nuursery to feed my sweet little man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:05 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I hope everything worked out or u and your baby especially

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:01 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thank you for sharing your story.

Your son won't remember any of this. But he will appreciate a loving recovering mom!

Stay strong and keep us updated.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:39 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I wonder why we didn't see this back in October '12...

It says she's got 0 posts, and this one was made on Oct 18, 2012....that's odd.
At any rate...I've stayed in NICU before..not for these reasons...but my wife and I know what it's like to have a baby that's 1 1/2hr away....we didn't spend much time at home either...The most was about 7 or 8 hours for sleeping, the 1.5 drive one way...which totaled 3 hours...so outta 7 or 8 hours at home, we only slept 4 or 5, then turned around and went back. This was last year with my daughter...she spent 10 days.
My son, back in 2004, spent 13 days.
Not easy at all.

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:27 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

oh man I didn't even realize this was so old!

I must be getting a bit senile now that I'm 41 years old. sigh.

Anyway, I wish people would come back and update. Im sure a lot of women are in that situation and are scared to.death. It's always nice to hear about how things turned out.

Oh well, have a great day everyone!