It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: My birth story
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:36 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I had my baby on the 12th and we both came home today. I gave birth vaginally with an epidural. The epi didn't work for me, but it had nothing to do with being on Subutex. I took between 8 and 20mg my whole pregnancy.

He weighed 6lbs 8oz. He has had a little bit of jitteriness and sneezing. Also, a touch of jaundice. The doctor said the former could be due to wd's or it could be normal newborn behavior...hard to say. Luckily, every nurse and doctor we had were very nice and didn't overreact to me being on Subs. My experience was so much better than I expected and I am so relieved!

It is standard in my state (MI) for me, baby and his meconium to be drug tested just because I was on Subs. Everything tested negative. I do not agree with the following and am not really happy about it, but since I have nothing to hide I do not expect any problems:

A social worker visited me in the hospital and asked me questions about why I am on Sub and about my living arrangements, etc. She said CPS would be contacting me to ask me questions also. I guess the CPS lady was supposed to visit me in the hospital, but I was discharged before she got there. So, about 2 hours after I arrived home she was knocking on my door! I just find it very intrusive and rude to be subjected to all this investigating just because I am on medication that my doctor prescribed to me. And I'm not even on Subs for active addiction. I am on them for pain management for collapsed vertebrae in my back! SMH

Anyway, she came in and asked me the same basic questions, asked to see both of my children's bedrooms, looked in my kitchen cabinets and fridge and took my 16 yr old daughter in another room to ask her questions. Since, my husband was at work she has to set up an appt to come back and interview him. It's absurd!

I'm assuming after they ask all their questions that they will go away and leave us alone, since the baby and I have tested clean and there's no possible fault they can find with my house.

Just wanted to post my experience for any other moms-to-be who might be interested. This board answered alot of questions for me when I was curious and stressing out a few months ago! I wish all of you the best with your deliveries and new little bundles of joy :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:13 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I thought I should mention that despite what I thought and was told.....he was never taken to the NICU. He stayed with me the whole time except for one 4 hour stretch the first night when I let him stay in the nursery so I could get some sleep. And, I also thought he had to stay at the hospital for a minimum of 72 hrs, since that's when most wd symptoms start to appear. But, the pediatrician just said to keep an eye out for them and he has an appt on Saturday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:18 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Congrats on the birth of your baby! Glad all worked out, with of course the exception of that ridiculous invasive "visit". I, too, think that was a bit out of bounds. I live in Michigan, too, and considering how broke Michigan is, I'm surprised they're wasting money when someone is on a legitimate medication. Shit, do you think they do that to someone who is prescribed oxy's for their back pain? WHAT BULLSHIT! But it sounds like you handled yourself well. Good on you.

With regard to the whole NICU thing, it's my understanding that all that depends on hospital policy. And the drug testing is either hospital policy or state law, depending on the state. But there's definitely no one size fits all when it comes to different hospitals for women on suboxone delivering babies.

Again, congrats, and enjoy your new bundle of joy!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Last edited by hatmaker510 on Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Congratulations! I am happy you had the experience you deserved at the hospital. I completely agree with both you and hat that the visit from cps was absurd. How they can treat moms like they are doing something wrong because they took a legally prescribed medication during their pregnancy is absolutely ridiculous an unnecessary! I am sorry you are having your time home with your new baby so rudely interrupted, but it will pass. Enjoy this time because as you know he will be 16 in a flash!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:26 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Thanks, guys :) I am loving this little guy to pieces and cherishing every second!

I told the CPS lady that I find it odd that I'm being investigated only because I'm on a prescribed med and she said "by law, hospitals have to report anyone who was taking a narcotic or psychotropic medication while pregnant". I don't quite believe that though because a friend of mine was prescribed Vicodin while pregnant and she didn't have to deal with this crap. It's just because of the stigma Sub has associated with it due to being an addiction med IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:16 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Just wanted to give a little update. My baby is 16 days old now and has had no withdrawals :) He is perfect and healthy. CPS came back once to have me sign a medical release so they can verify that I obtain my Subs legally and now I don't have to deal with that nonsense anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:46 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yay! I bet you are so relieved you don't have to deal with that nonsense anymore. I am so happy your little boy is healthy and happy! I hope he's being nice to his momma and letting you get some sleep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Congratulations, Cinnagirl, on your happy healthy baby boy! I agree that the CPS thing is BS, but good for you keeping your cool and just doing what was necessary to get them to go away. Enjoy the little guy, they grow up fast!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:42 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I know your post is a Little old but I want to say congrats and thank you for posting it. I am about 28 weeks prego and just freaking out I don't want my little girl to go to the nicu and I am hearing different things on what to do. My ob said to stop cold turkey in the beg which i knew was just dumb, and the doc who gives me the subutex tells me to stay on 8mg a day and that is a "low dose" and supposedly only like .5 goes to the baby so i don t know what to do if i should keep tapering off or stay at 8 i was on 18 in the beg. but the doc says the bigger i get the more ill need and im trying to stay where i am at. again congrats that is awsome besides that bs you had to go threw I never heard of anything like that. I live in il

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Most Drs recommend staying on sub thru pregnancy. Evidence shows that the risk of NAS isn't affected too much by dose. Some mom's were on less than a mg and their baby showed signs of NAS, others were at 16mg or 24mg and their babies were fine. It is almost impossible to predict what the outcome will be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:49 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

What state do you live in? I'm worried about this ( the cps thing) because my Dad recently lost his job and my parents will be staying with us they have no idea i am on sub and i do not want them to know because they will make me feel horrible. About it! So since they will technically be living with us, will cps talk to them too?? Isn't a violation of my privacy if they tell them? If i tell the cps worker i do not want them to know, then do they have the right to tell them anyway?
I live in michigan...I'm so stressing about this, i can hardly take it anymore!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:01 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

THANKS BREEZY ANN ONE MORE QUESTION MY SUB DOC SAID THAT IF I BREAST FEE RIGHT AWAY THAT WOULD POSSIBLYPREVEN THE SYMPTOMS OF NAS BUT I WOULD THINK IT WOULD MAYBE MAKE SENSE BUT THEN WHAT IF WHEN THAT STOPS? DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:59 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I haven't been on here in awhile, so sorry for the late replies!

Mommo05--I'm in MI, too. Wayne County is the CPS I had to deal with. They wanted to speak to everyone living here. They made 3 trips to my house in all..and I live in the country far from their offices. Even the worker said it was a waste of time and money. They talked to me and my daughter, came back to have me sign the release form and came again when my husband was home to talk to him! I hope everything goes well for you :)

Xtina111--I've heard barely any Sub gets to the baby through breastfeeding. Like a miniscule amount, so I don't personally see how it could help with NAS, but I have also heard breastfeeding helps, so IDK. Luckily, my little guy didn't have NAS. I wouldn't worry about it too much because there's really nothing you can do. You can't control if they will have it by lowering the dose you take since it doesn't work that way. I worried my ass off for my whole pregnancy about CPS and NAS and it was a waste of time. It didn't help anything and everything ended up being fine anyway. I know that's easier said than done, though. Hope everything goes well for you :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:57 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for your response and hope all is well for you and your family