It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:55 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Ok, so I've been a lurker on this site since i found out that i was pregnant and taking suboxone without a prescription. I made a promise to myself that once I had my baby, I would post my experience to share with other women on here who are in similar situations. Sooooo, here goes:

***I dont recommend doing it the way i did!! This is MY experience, and yours may be completely different***

I started taking suboxone in the summer of 2011. I had been clean since October of 2010 from heroin and other opiates. I was taking plain neltrexone, but my insurance ran out, and i couldnt get them anymore... My fiance was taking suboxone, so i started taking it again (i had been on maintenance for a few years)... I was just too scared i guess to be on absolutely nothing... (just wanted to give you a little back story, so that you know where im coming from)... Well in January of this year we found out we were pregnant... I had every intention of getting off subs all together well before i gave birth... well that didnt happen... I was taking regular ol' suboxone, not subutex... When i first found out, i was taking about 8-12mg/day... I slowly weened myself down to around 2/3mg by delivery... I told my doctor that i had a history of opiate abuse, and i was randomly drug tested... I took the chance of assuming that they were not going to test for suboxone, and do a basic tox screen... which they only did the basic test, 3 times throughout my pregnancy... I did my research about the best way to go about this predicament that i was in...
The birth- On september 27th i had to be induced, due to being overdue and having high blood pressure... they gave me a gel they insert into your cervix to start dilation, then they gave pitocin, then they broke my water.... I got an epidural around 10pm that night because i just couldnt take the pain any more... I had this expectation that once they gave me the epidural that all the pain would go away instantaneously, but for me it didnt... the nurse and doc said it could take up to 15/20 min to work... and it did end up taking about 90% of the pain away, and then when i was about 6cm dilated the epi stopped working and they had to come in and change the dosage... the reason im telling you about that is because im not sure if it had something to do with me being on subs, or my body just didnt take to it well.... anyways.... now to the fun stuff... BABY!!! At 5:15 am on sept. 28th my beautiful healthy baby boy came into the world, at 7lbs 10oz, and 19" long... I was terrified that everything he did was a sign of NAS, but it was just normal newborn behavior... He ended up having to be placed under the bili lights due to having high biliruben levels because of our blood types... so that was really crappy because he couldnt be in our room... but other then that non related issue, he was perfectly healthy and had no signs of NAS... Now my baby boy is about 2 and half months old and a perfectly healthy baby...

Now, as i said before, this is my story, and what i chose to do after reviewing all of the facts and information that i had, and talking it over with my fiance... I wish that i could go back and do it differently and legally so that everyone was on the same page and i didnt have to stress and worry about all of the what if's... The last few weeks of my pregnancy were filled with fear and worry because i didnt know what was gonna happen to my baby, and if he did show signs of NAS, were they going to take my baby from me... Thank god that everything was ok and i gave birth to a healthy baby, but i dont think that i could go through that stress again... so my suggestion to all you new mammas to be, if you can legally get on some type of suboxone progam, please do it... i didnt because i said that i would taper myself down and be off of them before the baby was born, but i just couldnt do it... I wanted to share my story because it was a positive one and i think that a lot of it had to do with being on a pretty low dose... Good luck to everyone and i hope you have happy healthy pregnancies and babies :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:21 pm 

Thank you so much for sharing your story and congratulations on your new baby boy! It's so helpful to other pregnant women on sub to read everyone's stories. I am so glad that everything turned out well for your family. It's a difficult decision to make, whether or not to disclose if you are on suboxone while pregnant. You don't know if you will run into judgmental medical staff who diagnose your baby with NAS when he doesn't have it, because they are biased against you. If you don't disclose, you are nervous that they will find out anyway and take the baby. If you do disclose, you are nervous that they will almost automatically diagnose NAS, then use that as an excuse to take the baby.

I believe that CPS typically tries to keep children with the family if they possibly can. I also advocate honesty with your doctor if at all possible, but I certainly understand your predicament!

All's well that ends well! I'm so glad everything turned out great for you!

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:23 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I am 12 weeks pregnant, and I told my doctor about my illegal sub use. Now I must admit, I kind of regret it. So glad to read your positive story and I hope I have my own positive story to write soon. I take about 8 mg a day, or 1 strip. I tried to ween down in the very beginning to 4 mg a day, and it kinda worked but I felt like total sh**! So I am bk to my normal 8 mg a day and hoping to ween myself completely off of them. Is your life still going good? Your baby and family? Do you have any advice for me? I need some taper suggestions bc I just don't think I want to spend 100 dollars a week for methadone, and subutex seems out of my reach also. My husband and I share his strips. Hope all is still great in your life!!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:40 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Congrats on the baby!! My family is still doing amazing!!! Thank you for asking... My boy just turned 4 months on Monday and is perfect, healthy, and reaching all of his developmental milestones :) Im such a proud momma... My advice to you would be to try and SLOWLY wean your self down... Just take a little less every week.. That way you barely feel it, and your not putting yourself through withdrawal (which is bad for baby) and try to get as low as you possibly can. Now obviously I'm not a doctor, this is just my personal advise.. I'm soo sorry that your doctor didn't respond well... That stinks... I wish docotrs would educate themselves better and be less judgemental, but unfortunately, that's our society... Anyways, hopefull that helps a little, and just remember that you know your body better then anyone, so trust yourself... I didn't look at how long ago you wrote this, so hopefully I'm not too too late replying... Good luck and congrats to you and your husband..