It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:08 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I would like to share my story for those of you who are currently pregnant and taking subutex. I was on subutex 2 mgs throughout my entire pregnancy. I just had my son August 21st, 2010. My experience at the hospital was amazing. My OB doctors have known about the subutex my entire pregnancy and told me I should remain on it. Anyways the nurses were so so amazing. They were so supportive of me and didn't judge me at all for being on subutex. Anyways my son was born with no complications vaginally weighing 10lbs 4 ounces!! He is perfectly healthy and normal. I love him so so much, he is so beautiful. There wasn't any problem with pain relief during labor, I got the epidural and it was amazing! It worked great and afterwards I took percocet for the pain because of the tear and it really helped, they were giving me 10mg every 4 hours with a motrin and that was enough. Cold compresses are really amazing also for the pain.

Anyways the really sad part is they discharged me yesterday but had to keep my son for observation. They want him there for a full 72 hours to monitor him but I cant be there because insurance wont cover me to stay. The reason he had to stay was because they are scoring him for withdrawals and he got 3 scores in a row that were above 8. But then he got three scores that were really low, and his last score was a 3. The nurses said he is not in withdrawals but since he had high scores yesterday he has to stay till tomorrow. They said he can leave tomorrow if his scores stay low or they are gonna put him on morphine. I am so so upset because I know the reason he got the high scores was because he was circumsized. They also said he lost a little too much body weight. (8 %) I was breastfeeding colostrum and my milk hasnt come in yet. Its completely normal for them to loose weight in the beginning. Anyways because he is in the NICU I have to let them feed him formula unfortunately this is going to ruin breastfeeding. :(

I am praying so hard that he doesnt loose more weight and that he doesnt start showing signs of withdrawal. I miss him so much and cant stop crying because I had to leave him.

Oh also the thing I was worried about majorly was CPS being involved but they werent a problem at all. The day I was discharged a social worker came to talk to me and asked me a bunch of very personal questions but I just answered truthfully because I have nothing to hide. She was more concerned about my history of mental illness than the subutex. But she just asked me questions and I was really nice and honest and then she left, I havent heard from her since then so thats a relief.

I will come back and update, I pray to god they score him fairly and that he doesn't start showing signs and that I can take him home tomorrow.

So I guess this is both a positive and negative story. He is perfectly healthy and normal but protocol makes it so that they have to keep him there. Its so terrifying because I am so scared they will think regular newborn irritability and such is withdrawals. But they have been very fair so far by taking into account that he was circumsized yesterday.

Sorry this is so long and jumbled i am just very upset still. I just wanted to let you all know not to worry too much. will update soon hopefully with a postive story of no withdrawals.

I hope he understands
That he can take this life
And hold it by the hand
And he can greet the world
With arms wide open...

JJL Due 8.14.10 <3

Post subject: CONGRATULATIONS!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Congratulations on the birth of your son! I'm happy to hear he's healthy. It's great that the nurses and doctors have been fair and have treated you with the respect you deserve. I can only imagine how difficult it was for you to be discharged and to go home alone. Just remember he will be home soon. I would say spend as much time with him that they will allow, but I'm sure you're already doing that. Like you, I hope they score him fairly.

Again, congrats and please do keep us posted.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:21 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you so much :) His last two scores since I posted were 4 and 2. (They said that below 6 is great) So everything is still looking good!! Going to visit him for his next feed again at 6:30 and hopefully everything is still lookin good. So far no withdrawals at all at 66 hours of life - I actually started withdrawaling myself yesterday so I feel this is a good sign that he really wont get any.

Anyways I wish more doctors and nurses were like mine. These people are amazing and they really didnt stigmatize me at all and treat me like a horrible drug addict, they treated me like a normal human being. Such a relief..

I hope he understands
And hold it by the hand
With arms wide open...

JJL Due 8.14.10 <3

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:18 pm 
Ohhhh......Congratulations! A little....well, BIG....baby boy! I'm so happy for you. And proud of you. You did the right thing, going through your pregnancy and following doctor's orders. You stayed on Subutex because it was best for you and your baby and see there........Everything turned out just fine! You're awesome! It's not easy business delivering a 10+ pound baby!
I want to thank you, also, for sharing your positive experiences with your healthcare providers. I spent most of my nursing career in OB and for the most part, everyone I worked with was just wonderful at what they did and provided care compassionately and professionally. I have said on here before that I think the way the patient approaches the whole experience plays a large role in how things play out. There are certainly exceptions to the rule.....but for the most part if you go in with a positive attitude, are honest about your medical history, and show a willingness to be compliant with recommendations, things usually turn out better overall with your medical care. I can't help but think that your attitude played a role in the treatment you received. It was probably quite obvious that you were all about taking your recovery seriously and having a healthy baby. I'm glad you had a good epidural too, and that you found non-narcotic ways of dealing with the pain from that tear. I imagine the Percocet did do a little something, but I'll bet your ice packs and NSAIDS did the most good!
I hope baby's scores stay low and you'll get that baby home real quick. I have a feeling you will. As far as the breastfeeding, I wanted to tell you that if you really want to do it, all might not be lost! My last baby had to go to NICU for some lung problems. ....Side note: She was a big one too...9 1/2 pounds which was especially funny being that I'm ~5'4" and weigh ~110 pounds not pregnant! Anyway....isn't it odd to see your great big baby in the NICU alongside the other babies, most of whom are teeny tiny!? end side note......Okay, she was given supplements also before my milk came in and some even after that because my supply wasn't quite there yet. I rented one of those real good pumps from the hospital and kept pumping away while she stayed in NICU (I hated leaving her too, same as you) She was there for almost 2 weeks which sucked royally. But I really did want to breastfeed at least for the first several weeks. I would be at the hospital to feed her myself as much as I could, but with 2 other kids at home, I couldn't 'live' there with the baby. So I pumped and the nurses would feed her my milk with a bottle and some supplementing with formula for that first two weeks. Well, it still worked out okay. I got her home and she nursed just fine. I had a more than plentiful supply for her and she did fine. So seriously, don't give up on that if you don't want to. There should be a lactation consultant at the hospital who can help you if you need it. As far as the Sub and breastfeeding, the only study I could find on it, showed no harm to babies from breastmilk from moms on Subutex. Obviously, it's entirely up to you. I'm sure your baby will be fine whether you go ahead and try to breastfeed or if you choose to just go with formula.
Again.....congrats girl! Way to go! Little boys are so precious and so much fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:30 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Yay! Congrats on your big baby boy! I'm so glad everything is working out for you! hang in there!

Of course there's such a thing as angels. Only sometimes they don't have wings... and we call them mothers. -Unknown

Post subject: Congratulations
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:51 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Just a girl,

Congratulations, wow a big healthy baby boy, what a blessing!! :D It sounds like you are both doing great! As far a the breast feeding during the times you can nurse him try pumping to keep up your milk supply. I think its great that your breast feeding, I breast feed both my children for awhile my daughter was almost 4 years old and my son was 2 1/2 years old. It was the greatest experiance of my life to know that we had that special bond, I will treasure the moments for the rest of my life.

I am so glad your Dr.'s and nurses were good to you, I have heard many horror stories about them. Anyway CONGRATULATIONS again, enjoy it they grow up way mine are 10 and 7 and I can't even believe it, it seems like yesterday. Keep us posted on his progress! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:53 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks so much everyone! He is still doing great and I am starting to be really hopeful that I can take him home tomorrow :) It has been a very tough and long 2 days without him! :( But I am definitely going to continue to try and breastfeed, I absolutely love that connection I have with him. Hopefully my milk comes in tonight or tomorrow so I can breastfeed him when I get home :) Gonna try really hard to stick with it. Thanks for all your kind words and advice everyone! Will come back and update tomorrow :)

I hope he understands
And hold it by the hand
With arms wide open...

JJL Due 8.14.10 <3

Post subject: UPDATE
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:26 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Baby came home after 72 hours :) He is showing zero signs of withdrawal and is perfect. The first week was extremely tough but now that we have breastfeeding down everything is getting better daily. It is amazing and I am so lucky and so happy he is okay and home safe! The doctor told me that the last baby they saw who was born to a mom on subutex had to stay in the NICU for 6 weeks but that she was on a much much higher dosage than I was. So I definitely recommend tapering down to atleast 3mg before you give birth. Anyways I hope my story has helped someone. I know everyone is different but I feel extremely blessed to have had a healthy baby and I think many many others will share similar positive experiences.

I hope he understands
And hold it by the hand
With arms wide open...

JJL Due 8.14.10 <3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:29 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hello Justagirl,

I am so happy for you and your family! I think it is so great to here your story of success! I have been thinking and praying for you both! Keep us posted and keep up the great work!!!!

Post subject: Update
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:18 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Well I feel like I need to update. JJ is now two weeks old and is finally starting to feel better. He has been screaming non-stop during the day and constantly wanted to suck, inconsolable crying, increased startle reflex, poor breast feeding, never let me put him down for 2 weeks straight, extremely restless and wouldnt slep, etc. Being a new mom I didnt realise this was not normal behavior. This has been the longest two weeks of my life but thank God its over. He is finally feeling better and sleeping between feedings and most of these symtpoms have gone besides the increased startle reflex (sign of opiate withdrawal in newborns) I put him on formula because he was not getting enough from breastfeeding because of insufficient suck. Will continue to update but just wanted everyone to know what was going on.

I hope he understands
And hold it by the hand
With arms wide open...

JJL Due 8.14.10 <3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:29 am 
Thanks for the update. I'm glad baby is settling in better now. I'm sure some of his 'behavior' has been w/d related, but on the other hand....some of his 'behavior' reminds me a lot of one of my newborns. My first baby was so peaceful....ate, diaper change, slept, eat, diaper change, sleep.....! Baby number 2....not so much! And I took nothing but prenatal vitamins before, during and after pregnancy. Baby 2 was just a "fuss-bucket" and even now at 23 years of age, is still kind of that way!! lol!! Anyhow.....just suggesting that maybe some of it is just 'this' baby's nature adapting to life outside of mom's tummy. My second one was not that great of a breatfeeder either and in fact, when I switched to forumula at about 1 month old, her countenance seemed to change for the better. Or maybe mom just wasn't stressed as much...who knows! In any case....I'm glad he's doing better. Sleep deprivation isn't good for anyone! I'll bet in another week or so, all this will be a memory and you'll have a peaceful, happy little guy. They're just all so different, you know? Sounds like you're doing a great job rolling with the flow. That's a lot of what mothering a newborn is about, in my opinion, anyway. That and just loving them to pieces!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:40 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have to chime in... I am happy that you are home and enjoying your baby-- and hopefully you will never again have someone attribute your baby's behavior to 'withdrawal'! If you let them, people will tell you that every time your baby cries, it is because of a 'startle reflex!'

I'm sorry, but to be frank I have not read anything that would suggest opioid withdrawal in your baby. Don't be angry-- as this is GOOD news, not bad. At least keep an open mind long enough to read what I have to say. I have had about 15 patients deliver babies while taking buprenorphine, and now that the local hospitals are comfortable it is no more common for 'bupe babies' to stay in the hospital than for any babies. That extra nicu time that your baby had was to treat the hospital staff-- not to treat your baby. The most common thing I hear from new moms on buprenorphine is that their baby looked just like all the other babies. Some cried a little more, some cried a little less, but none could have been picked out as 'different' if nurses had not already placed the 'withdrawal' label on the baby.

Every infant as spastic, jerky movements, and every infant startles easily. The reason for the spastic movements is because the motor fibers of the spinal cord are not fully myelinated at birth. PLEASE find a youtube video of a normal, crying baby and watch the spastic arm movements and leg movements. Or watch EVERY normal newborn during a nap, when they ALL will jerk spontaneously in response to noises, or just to inner stimulations.

Some babies sleep a great deal during the first couple months... most don't. Our first was constantly crying (nobody was taking opioids in the family, by the way). Not crying actually-- screaming, all the time. He could not feed-- he never got the hang of it. He would put his tongue over the nipple, or he would lose the seal when he sucked. We had a couple different breastfeeding nurses working on him for days; one even made my wife feel guilty for giving up after a week, when we were worried that our baby would not get enough liquids!

At home, he screamed constantly-- they called it 'colic', since there was no 'withdrawal' to blame it on. Our pediatrician, an old guy, suggested giving him a teaspoon of whiskey with some sugar in it-- no lie. We tried it once, but it was disturbing picking him up and smelling booze on his breath!

We went through so many long, sleepless nights... he would scream, pull his legs up to his belly as if he was in pain, and nothing we did would calm him down. Again, had my wife been taking buprenorphine or some other substance, someone would have blamed the symptoms on something. Understand-- that is what doctors do. I have watched my colleagues in the medical profession for twenty years, and I know how it works... there is, to be honest, an element of 'snake oil' in it. The doctors want to have an explanation for everything, even when they don't. If any person NOT on buprenorphine had a baby in a hospital with the same criteria, chances are good that their baby would be stuck in the NICU right next to yours. And chances are good that every time the baby jerked-- as they all do-- the doc would have said 'enhanced startle reflex'. When I was an anesthesiologist first doing labor epidurals at a small-town hospital in Wisconsin, the midwives found that the epidurals threatened their business-- so every time a baby had trouble feeding they would say that babies born to moms with epidurals didn't feed well. And the mothers and even the nurses bought into all of that as well. I'm sorry, but much of what you are hearing is crappy crap crap.

Most newborn nurseries, at any one time, have a few babies under 'bili-lights', flourescent lights that help breakdown bilirubin that builds up when fetal hemoglobin breaks down faster than the liver can handle it. The baby becomes jaundiced, with slightly yellow eyes; in severe conditions the babies can develop neurological damage. This condition-- needing photo-therapy-- is NOT uncommon. It happens every day in most hospitals, to NORMAL babies, whose mothers are NOT taking any medications. But I guarantee that if any of the moms WERE taking buprenorphine, they would think that the buprenorphine was to blame. The doctors and nurses would likely have theories blaming the buprenorphine as well. That is human nature... there is an excellent book entitled 'fooled by randomness' that describes the process very well.

In a situation like this, you can believe what you want-- and I have no power to change what you believe. But I encourage everyone in such a situation to step back and challenge your perceptions logically. Babies scream and cry. They startle easily, making jerking movements in response to stimuli-- which is why people are on tip-toes being real quiet in all those three stooges movies! It is also common for babies to have feeding problems.

If your baby is like many babies, things may quiet down for a while, and then your baby will again have trouble sleeping through the night. That will be normal too. Enjoy your normal, healthy baby.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:53 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you setmefree and subdoc. I am not entirely positive but I know for sure you are 100% correct that if ANYTHING is/was wrong with JJ it would be blamed on the subutex, even though there may be thousands of other babies that act just like him. Unfortunately my boyfriend told his mother about the subutex because he had to explain the slightly extended hospital stay, and now every time he cries she looks at me like its my fault, which is absolutely ridiculous because even if he did have w/ds they would be over now. I know for a fact if anything is ever wrong with him she is going to blame me. I realised this the other day. His baby cousin has a lazy eye and no one blames the mother for it, but if it were my baby everyone would blame me and the subutex (even though that'd be crazy because subutex doesnt cause this..!) Its impossible even for me personally to not blame myself for things but I am trying to work on this..

The only reason I believe it was due to w/d in the beginning was because itliterally ended so abruptly one day, day 13, and I was told that 2 weeks is when subutex w/d ends. I do know that it is entirely possible that he just settled into a routine and it just took him a bit to get used to being outside the womb. But it was such a drastic change, it was like someone dropped off a different baby!! Either way I will never know for sure what it was, I just thank God daily that its over because that was the worst two weeks of my life. I feel for anyone who has a colicky infant because I almost lost my mind dealing with only 2 weeks of it, never mind someone who has to deal with that for months and months! Anyways the baby is doing fantastic, he usually only cries when he is hungry and sleeps alot now, is pretty content besides for one fussy period every morning. He's a little miracle and the best thing that has ever happened to me. I am so happy and greatful that he is healthy and okay now. He no longer shows ANY symptoms that were in the above post. He still startles easily but not nearly as bad as before.

Anyways if I could give any advice to future moms on subutex reading this I'd say.. whether or not your baby has withdrawals you wont really know. Normal babies cry and like subdoc's baby you could have a completely normal baby with colic but will blame yourself for it. Honestly the worst part about the first two weeks of my sons life was the guilt I was feeling. I blamed myself everytime he screamed and it just broke me down pretty badly. Just know that it does and WILL end and that you did the absolute best thing you could do for yourself and baby by staying on subs and that most likely the withdrawals are mild if the baby even has any at all.

I hope he understands
And hold it by the hand
With arms wide open...

JJL Due 8.14.10 <3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

congratulations on your baby! If you read my posts you wil know i too had a baby girl on the 8th. Like you i am so so grateful she was born healthy considering the worry mad me crazy my whole pregnancy. I was so lucky for my baby not have any severe enough signs of withdrawal for the hospital to keep her. But like subdoc said you will never know exactly why your baby does anything. If the nurses did not know i was on medication who knows if they would of ever thought anything. They did say they noticed very slight signs like irritability not sleeping long excessive sucking and sneezing but nothing that would need to be medicated. Also none of my family or my husbands knew i took any medication and when they saw her do those exact things everyone has a different explannation as to why. But the most important thing to remember is that whatever it is it will pass. Thats what we are most fortunate for. Sadly some new moms have to deal with thier babies having problems that will never go away. Our bahies are not in pain any more than any other newborn and will not remember any of this. just want to reiterate to any pregnant mom reading this trying to research over and over agian about babies and subutex like i did for nine months to follow your instinct. The best thing to do regardless what you hear is taper down. If you are not feeling sick physically your baby will be fine with the taper. The lower dose when you give birth the better for your baby. Also be honest with all your nurses and doctors and make sure your are thier when they score your baby. Good luck to all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:03 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

BabyB&B.. Sounds exactly like my baby was. He used to sneeze constantly and would never sleep. He is doing so much better now. Is yours getting better also? It took 2 weeks to really see any improvement. Now he sleeps all the time but is just a bit fussy sometimes now because he has bad gas which I think is because of his formula. so I am trying to find one that is easier on his little tummy. I hope everything is well with your daughter and congrats to you also! being a new mommy is tough but it really is the greatest feeling in the world. <3

I hope he understands
And hold it by the hand
With arms wide open...

JJL Due 8.14.10 <3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:17 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Thank you SO MUCH for sharing your story. I am due in January, expecting my first, a little girl. I have really amazing doctors and midwives. (I've had a couple troubling nurse, but they were set straight). I've been on sub/bupe for 3 years, 4mg for the past year, but I'm going down to 2 as we speak. The doctors who scare me the most are the neonatalogists. At my hospital they are so used to treating methadone babies that I am afraid our baby will be put on a protocol that lasts for weeks. They told me the last bupe baby they treated stayed in the nicu for 2.5 weeks. Anyway it's good to hear about someone in my position that has had success! It makes me feel hopeful again, and that maybe all my other docs are right, and that these neonatalogists are in for a surprise.

I hope your baby boy is still thriving!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:45 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I just wanted to jump in on the discussion, though a few months after the fact. I have 4 kids, 5 pregnancies but 1 was a miscarriage when I was 20. Every baby of mine was different, different attitudes, different weights, different cries, the only thing they had in common was lots of hair! My first pregnancy was a little difficult, but had a happy baby girl with a bit of jaundice & blocked tear ducts, 2nd pregnancy was the miscarriage, 3rd was crazy, she kicked me so hard it would move menu's across the table(no joke) she waited until 6hours before the due date to make her entry, she would only sleep if there was noise, & she is still my wild child @ 8yrs old. My 4th pregnancy was text book, it was wonderful, not a complaint in the world, he was a quiet & calm baby, now he is a whiny butt..lol. And finally was my 5th baby, the pregnancy was a nightmare, partial placenta previa, hematoma on the placenta which together cause severe bleeding. The told me she wouldn't make it to 22 weeks gestation. Once we made it that far I got really, really ill with a stomach bug. I lost too much of my own fluids, which caused her fluids to drop. Now these 3 things they said was stopping her growth. By my 9th month I looked maybe 6months pregnant. I ws induced, broke the water...I can only descibe it as jello meconium. The doc freaked, the terror in her eyes was unmistakable. They told us to expect a still born, but couldn't c-section me b/c she was too far down. She was born, the shoved tubes down her tiny throat & she was okay, well she weighed in at 5 lbs, but we expected that. I noticed her butt crack(sorry for lack of medical term) had a V-shape at the top, I showed the doctor & said this isn't normal(they didn't catch it during her "exam") They sent her for an ultrasound on it to see how deep it went, all was fine but we learned it was something called a "sacral dimple."She couldn't breastfeed b/c she was tongue-tied( I found out later it's hereditary). She was fine for a few weeks & colic set in...whoa...that was almost unbearable. She is fine & a mixture of both of my other girls.
However, colic doesn't last only 2 weeks, I wish it did...but it doesn't. A good way to tell if it is colic or a fussy baby is colic will set in at the same time every day, and end at the same time every day. We knew to be home by 5:45pm b/c at 6pm it was screaming time!
Also, nobody picked up on the fact you breastfed, any medication a woman takes is passed throught her breastmilk, and colostrum. If he was getting breastmilk while you were on anything, then he got whatever you took. You mentioned it stopped around 2 weeks, was that the same time you threw in the formula to the mix? I am just curious. Or maybe your baby just had an aversion to breastmilk. The weight loss is normal especially with breastfeeding. Only 1 of mine gained weight the first 24 hours, & that was my teeny 5lb baby.
Babies are a lil jerky, overly jerky...no, not typically. They startle with loud noises, a flick of a light, fast movement, but typically have a reason for being startled. Most babies cry, but scream at times. Screaming can be expected after they are circumcised, what they do is painful to even think about, so no wonder they scream.
Your baby being colicky is doubtful. He could have been just a fusser, or he could have been sick from something completely different. Oh & it has been suggested babies actually have dreams/nightmares about being born, that would surely startle a baby...especially a 10pounder.
My main question would be...where you taking any medication while breastfeeding, did the crying/screaming fits stop once the baby was steadily given formula?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:16 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Im so happy for you to be able to have your baby home. Im still going through this and the whole thing is such a mess. Be thankful for your baby everyday, its so much easier on everyone when they can come home with you.

I delivered about a week ago and had to have an emergency c section when i was 9cm dilated. I had three different types of anesthesia within an hour. Epidural because i went to 9cm without anything and couldn't take it anymore... a half hour after i had it they told me my placenta was coming out first and needed a c section... they gave me spinal anesthesia to do the c section but it didn't kick in fast enough so they had to knock me out with general ... I suffered from a spinal headache for 4 days after having the c section. I was leaking spinal fluid and the pain in my head was horrible and i had to lay completely flat or else i couldn't even see. The nurses made me feel horrible for not being able to care for my baby. My husband ended up taking care of the baby while i couldn't move. now that i had a spinal blood cap done where they take the blood from my arm and put it in my spine i feel ten times better and am able to care for my baby.

When i found out i was horrified that i couldn't be taken off the medicine. Now nine months later my baby is in the hospital and on morphine. I swear im going to end up with postpartum just due to the fact of how the nurses treat me. Ive cried a couple times a day for the last 3 days and i just need to be home for a night. Im feeling guilty about that as well. They want me to stay in the hospital everyday, all day, all the time and be the one to take care of my baby. The nurses all treat me like crap. Everything i say is wrong and now that they have seen me with my other daughter i think they are starting to realize how capable i am for caring for a baby. Some of the nurses have gotten better, others will wake my oldest up in the middle of the night being unreasonably loud while shes sleeping. I hadn't seen my 16 month old daughter for 4 days after having the c section. Ive missed her so much. Ive been keeping her at the hospital with me now that im feeling better, but this is putting alot of stress on her and making her act out. She's never been away from me this long and even though she had a fun time at grandma's she was pissed that i havent been there. Im not about to leave her again. We've been there every minute of the day for a week now. I brought my oldest home today which we were supposed to go back but shes been sleeping since we got home and i dont want to wake her.

My newborn started on .17 morphine and they are weening her down daily. If she doesnt eat poop and go back to sleep they tell me she is in withdrawals. Im having a hard time dealing with this and i don't know how much time is ok to take to be home. not for myself but for my oldest daughter. ive been sharing a twin bed with my husband every night so there is enough room in our room for my oldest pack and play. My oldest daughter fell asleep on the car ride home around 5pm ... its an hour drive. when we got home she was still sleeping and we put her in bed and its 7 now and shes still asleep. I think i owe it to her to let her have her bed tonight. We will be back at the hospital by 8 am in the morning. I just called to check on her and they said she had a hard time when she woke up at 5 but she ate a bottle and went back to sleep so shes pretty much been sleeping since we left. I cant take it, everything she does they refer to being in withdrawals. I dont really know what my question is im just looking for advice i guess.