It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:44 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hey everyone just want to share my story and to get some more advice and to possibly help others. My due date was for March 2nd. But went into labor on Sat 2/24/2012 funny thing was all the events that happened up to my delivery. it started at about 4:30 am where it seemed as my water broke. I was up down trying to go back to bed and around 5:30 took a shower by then was having contractions about every half hour. This is my second baby and that labor lasted 22 hours so I figured I had plenty of time. i then did not want to wake my husband up just in case it was false labor so I went got gas in the car and donuts for our boys at home. bythe time i got back my contractions were about every fifteen min and stronger. I called my ob who said go in within the hour that was at like 7 so i wake everyone up get our boys ready for school and we pull out to drop them off and head to hospital come to find out we have a completley flat tire in the back off the rim and all. My husband was about a block away from the preschool so he runs them to school in the snow and tries to get back asap now im still sitting in the car with the older boy in a gas station parking lot trying to figure out wth we are going to do . by this time my contractions are pretty intense about every ten min apart and the pain is becoming unbearabul. long story short my husbands dad picked us up drove us to my hospital which is about 30 min away got there in like 20 lol. and it was like all a blur from there got up to labor and delieverie where they were expecting me. all i wanted by then was an epidural and could not think about anything else it hurt so bad but when the checked me st about 9:30 i was a 6 at 9:45 i was an 8 all in a matter of 10 min this lil girl was ready to come out. she wanted to be borne the day after one of her big brothers birthdays lol. so they kept telling me just waiting for blood work to get epidural well wond up having to push and pushing her out in like 5 pushes and right as my doc arrived at 10:32 am through out my whole pregnancy i was on 1 to 1.5 pill of subutex aka 12max mg i was at that mainly as i was getting bigger but maj time stayed on 8 mg which i believe does not make a diff what mg you are on
now we were both discharged yesterday at about 1:pm she had a scoring of like 9.9 i believe almost perfect one lady said. all her tests were good and they said she was completely healthy at the hospital i noticed she sneezed a little bit sneezing had a startling reflex but they took her to nursery and said she was fine. the only person who was aware of me taking subutex was my ob. all the nurses were amazing at the hospital I went to especially with all my screaming and grunting. I am in tons of pain but taking the motrin and subutex and surviving it tends to hurt more when i breast feed. NOW MY FEARS she is i am paranoid and just super paranoid and being scared about her getting nas she is about 37 hours old and I have been home i feel like she is irritable , her temp is 99.4 and please someone give me some relief and tell me what to look for and do if she starts showing signs of nas my hormones are going crazy and as i think about it the more upset i get crying and feeling bad for what i done. I never wanted to do this to her but my docs said it was the way to do it so plz help i have a 3 year old but having a newborn is like a new thing all over again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:38 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I would first of all, calm down. I can tell by the way you're typing that you're extremely nervous, and that's understandable, but it's OK. The only thing that doesn't seem right about what you're saying is her temp...but that's in the high normal range for an infant.

I'm typing this message from the NICU unit in a Birmingham hospital where we have had to stay with my newborn daughter since she was born, we were transported to this NICU on 2/18 at around 8pm. She was diagnosed with RDS (Respiratory Distress Syndrome)..

My wife doesn't take Suboxone...I do. But I've read umpteen different stories, and you're not going to harm her through breastmilk or cause her undue withdrawals. Do keep an eye on that temp though...the normal range, for under the arm temp of a baby is between 97.8 and 98.9.

That's the same for rectal temp...anything above / below that is a sign that there COULD be a problem..not necessarily that there IS a problem.

We're taking our daughter's temp for the nurses when we feed + change her...and hers has been running the low average (right at 97.9 to 98.3)

Don't get all stressed out over it..it's ok.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:00 am 
I am sorry, but I disagree jonathan.

If your not even 2 day old baby has a 99.4 temperature it is time to call the doctor. The baby is still so young, it could be NAS or it could be something else. We on the forum aren't doctors, xtina you must ask a doctor!!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Congrats on the birth of your baby. You did great and what an exciting birth story. IMO, 99 is not extremely alarming. (I have 3 kids and all were home births) You should however call your OB to be on the safe side. When in doubt always call the OB. It will help calm you down. If you go online and look up the NAS symptoms and scale you will find all the signs and symptoms. Off the top of my head I think if your baby has unconsolable crying that would be one cause for concearn. Sneezing is normal newborn behavior but there is excessive sneezing and that would be another possible sign. So many babies born to Mothers on Sub come out perfectly fine. I know it is difficult to be calm in this situation. You are a new Mommy, and this is natural instincts. It is a beautiful thing we Moms get to experience. So LISTEN to your instincts and you will know what to do. Good luck and enjoy this time Mama, BC these little babies are only Newborns for such a short short time.... MAny Many Blessings to you and your family

Post subject: I know how you feel
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I just had a baby 4 months ago while on subutex. She had very mild symptoms but she did have sneezing, tight muscles, and even some loose stools (which is debatable since all newborns have loose stools especially while breastfeeding) but 99.4 is not alarming as long as it doesnt keep going up. My advice would be to stay calm that way you can look at her symptoms with a rational thought process so you can decide if she really needs to be seen or not. Since your dr. already knows, I would say if you have doubts take her in but I would be worried they would start her on morphine. As long as she doesn't seem extremely uncomfortable, and the worst that happens is some sneezing and a 99.4 temp I think she will be fine. You will know more over the next day or two but my guess is she will most likely be fine. I rarely have heard of stories of babies getting really sick from subutex withdrawal and the ones I do hear I question what they were really using during the pregnancy. Of course if your gut is telling you something isn't right take her in asap but my guess is that your stressed, tired and feeling guilty but nothing your saying sounds a need for to much panic. Hopefully the next couple days go fast for you and your baby starts feeling 100% asap! And don't worry to much also because as you know, all new babies sneeze, and a lot of babies have a hard time controlling their temp when first born. As long as it doesn't get too out of control your fine! Enjoy that new bundle and don't let your mind run crazy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:54 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Also another thing that you can do it print out the NAS scoring sheet and try scoring her at home, and that will tell you a little more on how she is doing to make a decision. http://www.kemh.health.wa.gov.au/brochu ... hs0197.pdf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:17 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I never claimed to be a doctor.

What I DID claim was being IN NICU RIGHT NOW.

And I'm STILL up in NICU with my baby girl.

WE have to check her temp..EVERY single feeding, so EVERY time it's checked, we're the ones doing it. So I'd think we would know the base range for infant temps...they are ALL the same on temp as far as the range of acceptable temperature.

But thanks for dispelling the last week of us staying an hour away from home with our infant as we watched doctors work on her, what on EARTH would we know...geez, you'd think my daughters chart was within reach or something and I could read all sorts of doctors notes.

NOT TO MENTION..it's our second baby that's stayed 10+ days in NICU. So we've had nearly a month of NICU in our past (23 days IF we go home today)...

Doesn't mean much when people want to dismiss everything you say because "you're not a doctor"

No, I fucking never claimed to be a doctor...I'm something better.... A DADDY. I take a PERSONAL approach to MY baby, and go that extra 5 miles..because that's MY daughter..not just another baby, or just a payday that's laying there...
Pardon me for becoming an aggressive asshole, but I don't appreciate being told I'm not a doctor...and discouraging someone from paying any attention at all to what I've said. I may not have a PHD, but this volunteer firefighter, first responder, full-time daddy, and right now, sleepless man has been through 2 preemie babies that scared us to death..we didn't know if we'd even get to take my first-born son home at all...that's how bad he was. And with my daughter...it was ALL to familiar. So before you go and write me off, maybe look at the road leading up to now that gives me reasons to say what I said in that first post...If I didn't know, I damn sure wouldn't say nothing.

My daughters temp has gone from 97.8 up to 99.4. And like I said...WE are the ones who are taking her temp, with every feeding. It's the FIRST thing we have to do (because if you unbundle them and expose them to air, their temp is obviously going to drop)

The ONLY time you should be concerned with an infants temp (because it takes them a bit to regulate their body temp) is when it's a degree above normal, or a degree below normal.

Normal axillary (under the arm) temperature ranges from 97.5 to 99.3 degrees Fahrenheit (36.5 to 37.4 degrees Celsius).

http://www.babies.sutterhealth.org/afte ... fever.html

Normal rectal temperature is 100.2 degrees Fahrenheit or less (37.9 degrees Celsius or less)
These are the American Academy of Pediatrics recommended ranges. It is suggested that you discuss this with your baby's health care provider.

Maybe next time, instead of automatically saying "you're wrong, OMG you're wrong, you're NOT a doctor..."
Do a little research or something..
OR..just listen to people who have experience in that particular area..they MIGHT know something.

Or better yet, come sit up in a hospital, in a NICU room with your baby in a little warmer with photo therapy and O2 hood on, and stare at a clock for 24-48 hours without any sleep.
In our case, they gave us a scare by saying our daughter my have a small bit of apnea (she had ONE apnic spell, and hasn't had any since the 22)...so now they have us scared shitless that we're going to hear the word SIDS...now we can't sleep...and are worried our baby will ...well anyone should know what SIDS is..google it if you dont..I'm NOT typing that.

But that's what we're dealing with now (and likely explains my mood)...so yeah..I'm damn sure not a doctor, because the DOCTOR damn sure hasn't been sitting here with his eyes on my daughter for more than 48 hours without any sleep. (wife and I take turns napping...but it's impossible to sleep here)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Jonath~ You and your wife must be going thru a really rough time. Especially not knowing 100% if you are out of the woods. You are a wonderful father and you have a very lucky baby girl. I just know with all the love and care you guys are giving her, she will make it thru this and so will you. It is perfectly understandable the frame of mind you are in and your advise is absolutely sound. Good luck to your family and I know things will be beautiful soon..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

sweet16 wrote:
Jonath~ You and your wife must be going thru a really rough time. Especially not knowing 100% if you are out of the woods. You are a wonderful father and you have a very lucky baby girl. I just know with all the love and care you guys are giving her, she will make it thru this and so will you. It is perfectly understandable the frame of mind you are in and your advise is absolutely sound. Good luck to your family and I know things will be beautiful soon..

We've been told 3 times now that we are going home..we hope this 3rd time is a charm. The first time we were told was last Tuesday that it was a possibility for Friday. Then Wednesday, it was a possibility for Saturday. Then Thursday, it went from Saturday to Monday...now we're here, at Monday...and so far, the discharge is progressing. If nothing happens that alarms them ...then we go home. If she has an apnea episode ..then we will be staying.

I feel like a grand-dad when it comes to raising kids..mostly because I haven't just raised my own. I'm only 33, but I feel like I've been raising kids forever...I've seen plenty of sick ones..and nursed plenty of sick ones too. Once you get past that initial fear of 'Oh my God, I'm going to break it"....you tend to relax a bit and realize that babies/infants are pretty resilient...it takes a LOT to bring them down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:30 pm 
Jonathan, I was not calling your parenting skills into question. I'm sorry if you feel that way. I was only saying that rather than asking for advice here, since we aren't doctors and this is a newborn baby we are talking about here, xtina really ought to call her child's doctor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:46 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

NoAlibi wrote:
Jonathan, I was not calling your parenting skills into question. I'm sorry if you feel that way. I was only saying that rather than asking for advice here, since we aren't doctors and this is a newborn baby we are talking about here, xtina really ought to call her child's doctor.

Well, I apologize for my obvious attitude in that post. I was QUITE stressed out yesterday..after being told we were going home and then being shot down...our nerves were on EDGE all day. We were SO afraid that they were going to come in and say "oh wait, we found something..need you to stay ONE more day in NICU"...

All day I spent sitting there on the laptop searching random crap just to pass the time. That's when I wasn't swallowing coffee by the gallon and smoking endlessly outside...oh, and WALKING UP AND DOWN the halls between elevator + room + outside to smoke. Man, they sure know how to make you paranoid...they had us worried for 3 days strait that our baby had apnea..and we were watching monitors for 72 hours without hardly any sleep..because she had turned blue ONCE on the 22nd ...so that's what kept us from going home sooner. She had to stay there on monitors for 5 days after the last episode..and that's when we could be discharged. So it was a HELL of a week, with the last couple of days being the worst.

And it would not have been that bad if they had not told us so many times that we could go home on (insert day)...3 different times. I know NICU....my son was in NICU for 13 days back in 2004..and we weren't sure he would even live to come home...they really scared us shitless back then. And actually, THAT was when I started eating painkillers again after so many years of being clean (and I mean clean as in, NOTHING AT ALL...no suboxone, no pills of any kind)..I slowly crept back to opiates when my son went in NICU..the VERY NIGHT they transported him after he was born, I met with my mom..and she hooked me up..then went with me to NICU to spend the night. My wife was in another hospital and couldn't be released until the next day...so I was free to take pills all night..which I did. That evil monster had surfaced, and that started the downhill struggle I encountered for 4 years onward after my son got out of NICU. The next four years I spent doing all sorts of pills, gradually getting worse..and finally moving on to Oxycontin.

So..along with all the stresses of my newborn daughter being in NICU this past week, (since Feb 18 around 9:20pm)...I also had a million things crossing my mind. Like how this little girl is my chance to do it right for a change. How she's the ONE baby that won't have a high daddy who's chasing pills and risks being arrested....
And did I ever do such stupid shit as taking my kids with me when I would go to my dealer's house to pick up my pills? YES..And I deserve to be bitch-slapped. But..that's in the past, I'm holding my daughter right now, as I type..and WE ARE HOME!!!

We got discharged at around 4:00pm yesterday..and after an hour or so of getting papers...etc...we got through Birmingham 5pm rush hour and walked in our house at 6:20pm last night. SO HAPPY TO BE HOME!

And I'm sure I'll be in a better mood in a day or two when I've had time to re-adjust to sleeping at home instead of in a NICU room with monitors buzzing all night, and nurses in and out of the room umpteen times..

But yeah..never take anything for gold on the internet when it comes to a baby. ALWAYS call. You can in fact, call your local ER and talk to the nurse practitioner..they'll likely tell you to come in, but they ARE required to tell you on the phone if something is dangerous or not. They can't MAKE you come in if they give you advice. But it's always best when in doubt to hear it from a doctor...I was just trying to point out that it's not cause for major alarm..and you don't have to run out of the house half-dressed with the baby by the arm, and race 90mph to the local hospital..it's not something life-threatening...and I would never suggest anything to an infant who's in a life-threatening situation. If you think there's something THAT badly wrong, then you shouldn't be online looking for answers..you should already be on the road driving to ER.

Takes a little time to adjust to being a new parent. I remember 10+ years ago..but you'll get it..don't get worked up and remain calm...if you're not calm, baby isn't calm..and that's not good for anyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:16 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

If you are taking the babys temp rectally which im gonna assume you are since thats the best way to take a newborns temp then anything in the 99s is fairly normal (Im positive any doctor will verify that). My advice is to just enjoy caring for your daughter and stop worrying. You will KNOW if something is seriously wrong.. stop waiting for something to be wrong though because thats when you'll start pulling apart everything she does and seeing things that really arent there. Just RELAX. CONGRATS and Good Luck with your beautiful new baby!!

*Battles are fought everyday, some you win & some you lose..Addiction is a war & every second you're still alive you're winning that war..*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

sodone wrote:
If you are taking the babys temp rectally which im gonna assume you are since thats the best way to take a newborns temp then anything in the 99s is fairly normal (Im positive any doctor will verify that). My advice is to just enjoy caring for your daughter and stop worrying. You will KNOW if something is seriously wrong.. stop waiting for something to be wrong though because thats when you'll start pulling apart everything she does and seeing things that really arent there. Just RELAX. CONGRATS and Good Luck with your beautiful new baby!!

Rectal is NOT the best way UNLESS the AXILLARY temp is unstable, or off by a amount that makes the temperature seem dangerous. You do NOT have to strip your baby down and violate their nether regions every time you want to know their body temp. If baby has been still, and is clothed, and hasn't been moving around (enough to provide air flow to the underarm making that area room temp instead of body temp) then under the arm is VERY accurate. If baby isn't clothed then it's likely to be a bit off...

(Axillary means under the arm).

I'd like to point out that in my above posts, I mentioned being IN NICU with my baby..and the ONLY time we had to do a rectal temp was when my wife didn't have the thermometer all the way under Reagan's arm, and her temp came back at 97.3 (she had to have a 97.8 or higher to keep from being put back under the warmer).

That was THE ONLY time we were REQUIRED to get a rectal..
the rest of the time, her temp was taken (by nurses or by us) UNDER HER ARM.

You'll quickly find out if you do it both ways a few times that the difference is MINIMAL unless the baby isn't wearing warm clothing or has cool/hot air blowing on/around the shoulders to make the temp fluctuate.

Far as fever goes, we've been doing it long enough that we can just feel the babies forehead or ears and tell ..and you can also just feel of their tummy and see if it's warmer than the rest of their body. Usually that's a dead-giveaway that they have a fever.

Since my last posting here in this thread, we've been able to bring our baby home..and are now enjoying her all to ourselves without having to share her with nurses & doctors.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:14 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

i just want to thank every one who replied to my post and want to let everyone know everything is fine i was first night home hormonal and really paranoid as of now she is one week old has no signs of nas just a little jaundice which i am told is normal and some sneezing fits oh and bad diaper rash but thats it . if any one has any questions they want to ask i will happily answer them asap. I am so great full that she is healthy i was very concerned and felt so guilty but had no way around it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:29 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

xtina1111 wrote:
i just want to thank every one who replied to my post and want to let everyone know everything is fine i was first night home hormonal and really paranoid as of now she is one week old has no signs of nas just a little jaundice which i am told is normal and some sneezing fits oh and bad diaper rash but thats it . if any one has any questions they want to ask i will happily answer them asap. I am so great full that she is healthy i was very concerned and felt so guilty but had no way around it.

Jaundice will still around a bit longer if you breastfeed..not so much if you bottlefeed -- for some odd reason..but long as her bilirubin level is like..below 16 ..and coming down, you should be fine with that. Hardly ever do infants have problems unless they are REALLY premature. My babies bili went from 12 down to 7.6 while under the light..took the light off and it went back up to 11.1. Her bili was 11 the day we came home with her (Monday 2/27) and she's fine now.

Far as diaper rash..the ONLY thing you can do with an infant is use vaseline or Desitin...create a barrier so the acid from their excrement doesn't get to their skin to burn them.
We're facing the same problem because of the antibiotics and crap they had going into her while she was in NICU for that week...so her #2 has been FAR CRY from solid..and she's going through probably 6-8 diapers per day..hope that calms down a bit soon..

Other than that, she's sleeping and cuddling with me during naps..

Enjoy these times right now. They are the most precious times and you can't EVER get them back. There's no way to EVER bring back this time in infancy. I told someone the story of how my other 3 kids didn't get to enjoy their daddy because he was chasing pills..but this baby is getting the best of me..and my story made the person cry. But it's all true. This one little girl..she's done me in. I can tell, already, that this little girl is going to have her daddy wrapped...but don't get me wrong, I love my other kids just the same. I just get to enjoy this one like I should've been enjoying the others when they were at this point in their lives.

If you have any questions or worries, feel free to ask. I don't claim to be a medical professional..but we had a couple of the nurses at the NICU say that "we should be on the payroll", meaning we do know quite a bit about babies...having raised so many. Right now, it's not just my infant daughter that I take care of..I also have my 16 month-old niece. She's actually in MY SPOT in the bed right now..and I'm going back in there to let her lay on my arm -- for some reason she sleeps better when she's close to me/my wife. Too bad her mom doesn't realize what SHE is missing (and she's not chasing pills..she's just young and dumb, and doesn't know what it means to be a parent!!!)

ENJOY YOU BABY!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Just SOOOOOOOOOOOO happy to hear you guys finally got home jonathan!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sounds like your using your time wisely.... :lol:

enjoy that baby, and your flock of course!!!

was thinking of your family since reading about the baby not being able to go home yet......

WHEW.......... glad all is well

best wishes, , , , , , ,
amber

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/