It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Birth mom on Suboxone
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:48 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Good Morning All

I first want to mention that I am here for information and not here to offend anyone. I apologize in advance if I do.

I am soon to be the adoptive mother to a wonderful baby girl in October. The birth mom and I have had a wonderful relationship. I have been to all appts with her and have even already given her a name. The BM(birth mom) has had a extensive drug history, the worst being pills and meth. Up until now things have been wonderful.

She has now come back with 4 positive drug test. All positive for Suboxone.

I am devastated. We had an agreement that there would be no drugs. I do understand what the medicine does but also know that it can be abused. Our High risk OB is also shocked. She tested positive at our first appt and now 4 times in the last month.

I dont think its right to take any drugs with your unborn child. But, I do understand that some are needed and should bemmonitored by a physician. But, no one should be put in the position to take on a child that could have w/d and longer lasting effects if no previously agreed to. It is a selfish act to do so. To let someone walk blind into such a situation. Not making that person aware, because you dont want to get caught.

Once the MD told us, while in our appt. She began to cry and claim that it could not be correct. That's when I knew she was lying. I know here well enough. Things have done a complete 360. I can hardly get ahold over her now. She has stopped texting me baby stuff. Back to a very shady actions. Like a switch got flipped once she knew the MD and I were aware of the tests.

My family and have have spent several thousand dollars on baby items and lawyer fees. Adoption is not cheap. I will also incure the cost after birth. If the baby goes into NICU, then those cost are passed to my insurance which of course will come to me in some form. That hospital cost could be very expensive. And then CPS will more than likely be called. I dont even want to think about that mess. She continues to minimize the situation.

My heart is broken. No innocent child deserves this. I am overwhelmed with emotion for this lil girl. And am unsure if I will adopt her, but cant stand the thought of her being left alone in the world.

All comments are welcomed.
Blessing

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:04 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I know this must be very tough on you and an excruciating decision to boot. However, I just wanted to give you a ray of hope. When I was pregnant with my daughter, I was on Subutex for the first 28 weeks of my pregnancy. I was off completely after week 28, but that means I was ON it during the most critical periods of fetal development.

My little girl is now 18 months old and is extremely smart. Most would probably say that statement is a biased and guarded opinion. However, she reached every single physical and cognitive milestone about 2 months ahead of a schedule. She is a very energetic, happy toddler who has not shown any problems whatsoever. She was small at birth, only weighing 6 lbs and she did develop colic. I don't know if that has anything to do with the subutex use though.

Trust your gut. Pray about it, if you believe in such. If she has not had a poly-substance abuse problem throughout her pregnancy, there's a good chance the baby would be fine; albeit may go through withdrawal at birth. That isn't definite either though.

Good luck and best wishes. {hugs}

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:41 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Love and Blessings to you for such a encouraging response!

I am so glad that your presious little one is doing so well. I am hopeful thatvbaby will be ok.... I just feel crushed and defeated. In my thoughts she was protecting this baby for me. While giving her daughter the option for a better life than she can provide. I love her very much for that. But, at this point she is hurting my daughter . I expected her to be a good host for her. The responsibility will fall on me for all thing after birth. That can be a heavy undertaking.

Again, Thank you for such a uplifting reply. You have definitely given me a ray of sunshine.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello there A- mom,

I'm so sorry for what you're going through,and know you must feel betrayed, but wanted to let you know that suboxone is a safe drug for opiate dependency during pregnancy. NAS, or neonatal abstinence syndrome, if it does occur, can be treated so that baby is comfortable and treatment can be gradually discontinued over the course of a few days to weeks usually, and sometimes doesn't even require any meds at all. Nas is usually less pronounced in babies who's mother took buprenorphine than other full agonist opiates and carries a lower risk of Nas. It is far safer for a newborn to go through wd outside of the womb where she can be treated, than in utero, where the stress of withdrawal on mother and baby can cause such problems as, miscarriage, placental abruption, low birth weight, and increased risks of premature delivery, due to poor sleep, nutrition, and a general weakened state due to mom going in and out of opiate withdrawal, to name a few. So, if the birth mom is addicted to opioid drugs, treating her condition is one of the best things she can do for herself and the baby.

There's a blog by Dr. Jana Burson online you can find by googling her name that contains some very informative articles about this subject. In one of them, she sites a recent study appropriately called the MOTHER study, which followed many opiod dependent moms and non opioid addicted mom's to be, taking either methadone or bupe during pregnancy, and their babies after delivery. The study showed that the babies born to the moms taking methadone or bupe, compared to their babies born to non addicted mom's included in the study met all important growth and developmental milestones at or before their counterparts, born to non addicted mothers. You can read more about this study by visiting her website and entering the words "pregnancy" or "mother study" in the search box, and I encourage you to do so. Also visit http://www.suboxonetalkzone.com and searching for the key words, "neonatal abstinence" or "pregnancy". These should help put your mind at ease at least a bit.
I do hope everything works out well for you, birth mom and the baby.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:09 am 

A-mom, I hope I don't come off as too harsh, but I have a different perspective than you do. Obviously the baby's bio mom is addicted to opiates. Addiction is a chronic brain disorder characterized by relapse. Bio mom DID protect the baby when she chose to take suboxone instead of heroin or pain pills. Suboxone takes away the craving for other opiates and allows the addict to have some control over their addiction. Your birth mom was not trying to get high, she was trying to prevent herself from relapsing on something more dangerous to the baby.

Studies show that the baby is much less likely to go through withdrawal at birth when a mom is on sub as opposed to methadone, or other opiates.

Your judgment and lack of compassion pushed her away. She is probably thinking, "Why bother partnering with this woman if she's just going to make me feel bad about myself when I tried to make the best choice I could."

I hope the situation turned out better than you expected.

Amy