It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Beyond upset...
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I went to my doctor today for my monthly check up and prescription and boy did I get a surprise. I've been on suboxone for almost a year now and have tapered from 16mg to 6mg and feel great. I haven't had any relapses and every time I see my doc he is amazed by how well I am doing. After many years of using and abusing, I'm not ashamed to say that every time I leave the office I feel proud of myself. However, today one of the coordinators with the program came in and told me that last month's drug screen showed positive for opiates. I was beside myself. I have not taken anything, anything at all since I started suboxone. I sat there trying really hard not to cry wondering how this could have happened, there must be a mistake. I told the coordinator (which was not my usual one, but someone filling in) that I absolutely have NOT used anything since I started the program. The only thing I could think of was that last time I was in I had a really bad cold and had been taking an OTC cold/cough medication, no codeine or anything in it. But it was really clear that they didn't believe me. I asked them to dip my urine that I had just given (usually they send it to lab) just so we could all see that it was negative. Of course at this point it doesn't matter because a month has passed, but still I felt like I needed them to see that I'm not using anything. I was really hoping that the doctor would have some kind of explanation as to why my test would have come back positive, we have a great relationship and I guess I was hoping for some support. But he told me that there's no way it would be a false positive and maybe it was possible someone had slipped me something ?!?! There's really no way that could have happened, which I explained. So he gave me my new prescription and said "Don't worry about it. If it was anyone else I would be worried, but with how well you have been doing I'm not worried that you made a mistake and I'm sure it won't happen again." I was just sitting there in shock. I mean, I know as an addict I lose a lot of credibility but I just couldn't believe that at the least he wouldn't even talk about it more with me. I'm SO upset because I know that I have NOT used anything, nothing and I have no way to show that.
I guess I just needed to vent to someone who would understand :) There are only two people in my life that actually know that I am an addict and am in recovery. So I carry this around with me and it gets hard sometimes. Thanks for listening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That really sucks, and I can understand why you are upset. You aren't the first one on this forum to have this happen to them. It makes me wonder if these labs that test literally hundreds of samples a day make a mistake either testing or reporting the results on the right persons form. If it had happened in the office you could have requested a blood test, but since it was from a month ago there's nothing you can do except know in your heart that you are telling the truth.
Even though your doc pretty much indicated that he doesn't believe you, he DOES have faith in you and in the future of your recovery. Keep doing what your doing, keep up the good work and I think your actions and your recovery will speak for themselves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Not long ago, I looked into this and a huge percentage of labs across the country make mistakes. This happens to many, many people. It's the WORST feeling to be telling the truth and see in someone's eyes that they just think you are lying shamelessly. I'd remind your doc each time you see him how much it bothers you that they believe you 'slipped' and that it has not been cleared up. He needs to know that even though you got your script, you are still upset because you have been working hard on your recovery and it makes you angry and frustrated to have people charging you with doing something you absolutely have not done. If you really had slipped, you'd take that script and run and be happy.

laddertipper

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:17 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

WHOW!!!! It has to be a fear we should all have that the lab miss up or get mixed up on our sample. Just a few weeks ago my dad was in the ER and the Dr came in and asked him when did he have a liver biopsy. I was like WHAT??? my dad never had that.. The Dr says Oh ! They gave me the wrong file. Now can you imagine what is going on it other places in the hospital.
I'm sorry but I would have cried because we take pride in our effort to staying clean. And that would have hurt my feelings. I can understand your beening pissed.
I agree with ladder I would make it a point to bring it back up to the doctor. I'm not sure how many chances you get but that was one strike againt you.
Well you know your clean and that is what is important but it is the point that a mistake was put on you.
Keep up the great work
Mel :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:57 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I also agree with Ladder. I'd make it a point to bring it up again. Maybe you can impress upon him how serious this is to you. If you do that, somehow I doubt that he'll continue to think you're lying. Good luck and I'm really sorry that happened to you.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:38 pm 
Whoa Mamasita, I would be pretty angry/upset/f*cking rageful if this happened to me.

I would do what everyone else suggests and try to talk to the doctor and restore your good name..

But if that doesn't work..look, you mentioned before that only two people know about your addiction. That is very lucky, because you don't have to deal with everyone in your life thinking of you as "Addict Named Mamasita" for the rest of your life. However, because you didn't deal with the semi-public shaming, you don't know that a lot of people are gonna look down on you for being a (former) addict. Maybe it is a parent that never quite trusts you again, or a pharmacist who gives you a dirty look every time you come in, or a friend's parent/significant other who doesn't want their kid/boyorgirl friend hanging around with you. Most of us have to deal with this stuff. For the lucky ones, the trust is eventually (after many months or years) gained back..but there are some people in our lives who will never forgive or forget us using, or things we did while using that upset them. At some point, you have to consciously say to yourself that these peoples opinions DO NOT MATTER. You know you are clean, you know you have been trying, and you know you are doing the right thing. You can't change their minds, so f*ck them.

As long as your doctor hasn't penalized you in any way, hasn't increased appointments or changed your meds or fired you, I think you are going to have to look at it like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:20 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

OH MY GOD - I'm so upset reading this post, I can feel what you must have felt or still feel. The worst experiences of my life, this far, have always been when someone thinks I'm a liar.
I am so sorry that u went through that...I honestly hope that you have a heart to heart with your doc and ensure you tell him that you feel hurt and insulted....after all the hard work you have put in just be treated like that... My goodness, you certainly are a calmer more collected person than most, so on top of your tapper, be proud of how you handled yourself.
Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yeah this stuff happens. A friend tested positive for THC and Benzos and was in the process of trying to get her kids back from the authorities. And she would never lie to me, and she hadn't used. To this day we don't know why.

People often get false positives for opiates, and the main reason is, believe it or not, poppy seeds! They contain trace amounts of morphine, and a trace amount is all a person needs really.

When I was in rehab, I procured a weeks worth of donated bread from the local bake fresh. Most of it had poppy-seeds. Half the community tested positive for opiates 3 days later. :lol: They called a big house group and we had to sit on those chairs for 6 hours until the staff were happy nobody had used. I was the only one who got punished. 30 days added to my program and 7 days loss-of-privileges. Good times.

So yeah. Poppy seed defence works every time for low-level opiate readings. But it's gotta be low level.

Codeine does it too.

Post subject: poppy seeds and mistakes
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:55 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

The first thing that came to my mind when I read your post was that mistakes in labs DO happen. And then I too thought of poppy seeds. but LOTS of mistakes happen whenever there is a possibility of human error. I can believe that you are beyond upset about the doctor and others not believing you, but at least you aren't going to have to suffer any other negative consequences and also, the main thing is that you truly are doing well and did NOT relapse. but I also think you should go ahead and bring it up with your doctor again if you want to, just tell him the truth again and let him know that you feel bad that he acted like he didn't believe you. I wish you luck with that, but again, the main thing really is how well you're doing, isn't it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:19 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Work on learning how to " let it go " dont let this kind of stuff take 1 minuite of happy, peaceful time away from you, to bad you cant get even with these bastards..... Mike ,1mg per day, done trying to taper, really no need to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks everyone, for your input and support. I have been thinking a lot about what happened in the last week and I have come to the conclusion that I do need to bring it up with the doc at my next appointment. Reading your replies really just solidifies my thoughts. I think it's important to talk to him about it again, when the shock has worn off and I am not so upset. I just want to reiterate to him that I have not slipped, if for no other reason than that it is important to me. I spent the first few days researching anecdotal evidence about false positives and positives caused by other drugs (namely dextromethorphan which was in the cold medicine I had been taking the week I tested). Then I realized that the most important thing is that I know that I wasn't lying to myself or anyone else about using. I can't waste my time and energy arguing something I have no way to prove. I wasn't penalized and I should be thankful for that. Of course, I am, for the first time, dreading going back for next appointment because I've never before been afraid that my test would come back positive and now I'm worried it could happen again.
Thanks again everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:33 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I had a somewhat similar thing happen to me recently. Before I start, I love my Doc, but he has some personal stuff going on (political issues). My doctor is actually in a Suburb of the city I live in and that Suburb is basically stuck in the 50s (seriously, I hear some really nasty racial and or homophobic stuff when I am there)... so some people do not take to kindly to opiate maintenance.

Anyways, my doctor comes in and says how great I look and thank you for another clean test. I say no problem and thank you. My doctor says "Yes, when I first met you, you were "s**tfaced". I said "No, I wasn't drunk. I haven't drank in over a year"... he said "ohh no, I didn't mean that. I just meant you didn't look good". Now, I get to thinking, I didn't meet this guy until I had over 6 months clean and had been just discharged successfully from a outpatient program and sober living community. I was doing pretty good. I guess it just bugged me that he said that, I think he forgets that I had that time clean.

Now obviously I am not looking for anyone's validation, but that just really set me back.

However, I still occasionally get asked "So you really haven't taken anything for over a year, seriously? Nothing at all?" by my friends or family. It just takes time to prove it I guess. Oh well, I know that I am fine and that is what really counts.

As for your test, I would say the DXM could probably cause a false positive. Sounds like you are handling well.