It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I just came back from seeing some old friends interstate. One of them is also on Suboxone, has been stable on it for years. He has no criminal record. He and his fiance had plans to travel to America this year, but he came up against a problem.

He went through all the right avenues to travel with Suboxone - applied for a visa through the embassy as it is advised, and was honest on all the Visa forms. He provided a letter from his doctor saying he's been stable for years and his condition is being managed and all that.

A couple of weeks later, he got a letter saying his visa had been denied on "undisclosed grounds".

There was nothing else on his application that could have been compromising. Even worse for him, once a person has had their visa denied to travel in the US, it's virtually impossible to gain a visa later in life, even if he stops taking his Suboxone down the road.

So be wary if you plan to travel to the US on Suboxone. You may be denied entry, and it may remove all chance of travelling in the future. It may be worth delaying until you reduce off it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

tearj3rker wrote:
A couple of weeks later, he got a letter saying his visa had been denied on "undisclosed grounds".

There was nothing else on his application that could have been compromising. Even worse for him, once a person has had their visa denied to travel in the US, it's virtually impossible to gain a visa later in life, even if he stops taking his Suboxone down the road.

So be wary if you plan to travel to the US on Suboxone. You may be denied entry, and it may remove all chance of travelling in the future. It may be worth delaying until you reduce off it.

I used to work for a certain Government Agency. There could be over a hundred reasons why he did not get his visa approved. There could be 100 different visas that the guy is applying for. It could be possible that the Sub had something to do with it but it is a shot in the dark. Unless you know all of the guys business dealing, his contacts with people, and how he answered the questions, it is REAL hard to say that the Sub. was the only thing. They do delve a little deeper than a background check. They do have "other" computers that record travel info, association with known criminal enterprises, and whether or not that a person should be let in or not based on MANY things not just criminal history.

Tell him to reapply. The "Virtually impossible to gain a visa later in life" is just incorrect, sorry.

Tell him good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've known this guy for some time, and he is not a terrorist, Muslim and never did any crime whatsoever and is studying masters at university, which is where I met him. But he was addicted to pills at one stage and is now on Suboxone. Unless he has a very dark secret he didn't want to tell me, the only reason he said he was denied a Visa maybe was because he has bipolar disorder. But as far as I know, he has it under control and is not violent?

Is it possible that people on Suboxone are still considered drug addicts?

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:01 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I went with a friend of my mine to the US Embassy in Bangkok. He was a Thai national and wanted to visit his sister in the US. I was suprised that his visa got rejected. The reason they gave was that they were afraid he was going to stay in the US as an illegal immigrant. It is very common to be rejected for a visa I learned. His problem was that his entire family was in the US so they figured he was going to stay and never go back to Thailand. I would suggest giving it another chance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

tearj3rker wrote:
Is it possible that people on Suboxone are still considered drug addicts?
To answer that question it is possible. I personally would say yes. But what really counts is the Agencies rules at the time. I haven't been with my Agency in several years. I did work for INS as a Agent a long time ago before I switched Agencies. Immigration laws are constantly changing. That is why I left INS. Enforcing the law should have nothing to do with Politics, certain political parties, or public sentiment.

Chuckleheadfunk wrote:
I went with a friend of my mine to the US Embassy in Bangkok. He was a Thai national and wanted to visit his sister in the US. I was suprised that his visa got rejected. The reason they gave was that they were afraid he was going to stay in the US as an illegal immigrant. It is very common to be rejected for a visa I learned. His problem was that his entire family was in the US so they figured he was going to stay and never go back to Thailand. I would suggest giving it another chance.

That is called an overstay. Someone that has the proper visa but does not depart when their visa expires. Staying longer than your visa allows. Lots of people do that and they are hard to track down once they have overstayed. People will apply for an F visa and study at college and then overstay their visa. If I remember right that is what happened before 9/11. They overstayed their visas. Hard as hell to find one person in the whole United States especially once they change their name and such. There are Thousands in the United States like that but it isn't something you hear on TV everyday.

It is really hard to say why your friend was denied. There could be a thousand reasons. Also they do not admit Drug addicts into the country or anyone that could possibly be a public charge (welfare, public assistance...etc) There really are so many reasons. If he was just a B2 visa visitor with a predetermined departure date I don't know. If he was applying for permanent residency it is a totally different. Understand where I am coming from. There could be many reasons why he didn't get admitted. I would like to know what type of visa he applied for. It is a letter and a number like this: B1 or B2=visitor, F=student, H3 temporary worker...etc. Tell him give it another shot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:36 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I doubt his visa was denied due to being on Suboxone. As mentioned earlier, it could be for 100s of reasons. The situation is not unique to the US either.

Your friend was smart in being honest about the Suboxone. I would hate to have issues at Customs. Sadly, in the US, their is lots of pressure on the President and others to "be tough" on immigration. Lots of people still have problems with Xenophobia. Its very silly and not all Americans are like that. Furthermore, I saw quite a bit of the same stuff when I was in Europe. It exists everywhere (though it is getting better thankfully).

Tell your friend to try again and have him take any opportunity possible to explain him situation. INS is a big agency and maybe a set of fresh eyes will make a difference.

Post subject: mistakes happen too
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:58 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I would agree that your friend has nothing to lose by reapplying. After all, he has already been totally honest and has nothing to hide. I just wanted to point out that he is dealing with a bureaucracy. bureaucracies are made up of individual people processing paperwork. It is very easy for small mistakes with paperwork to occur that might have bid consequences. someone might have misread something on his application or simply mis-filed it for some reason. Like someone said, the rules of INS are always changing. that makes it even easier for mistakes to occur in processing. seems like the only thing your friend has to lose by trying again is time, patience, and possibly some more fees? sometimes with bureaucracies you just have to talk to a different person to get things straightened out. Of course, it's always possible that sub is the issue but we've no way to know that now. Maybe someone else with similar travel experience will chime in here. anyway, I do wish your friend luck with this.