It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:27 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello I am new here and just started posting I have another thread on legal issues. So here it goes I am going to be joining the air force eventually I just need to get off subs I am on about 6-8 mg a day and doing well. I want to get off as soon as possible I was wondering peoples advice on best way to get off as quick as possible. Is an inpatient detox method and alright idea? Or should i do it slow and go down by a couple mg's a month. I have been looking through threads and did not really see anything about trying to detox in an inpatient clinic uness it is a stupid idea, but any responses would be grest

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:01 pm 
Hey whats up!! Im not real sure about a detox center. It seems like they would probably taper you off rather quickly with different comfort meds an send you on your way. From what i've heard, the safest and most effective way is a slow steady taper. Yes, it will take some time but in order to make it as painless as possible your gonna need to take it really slow and not put a time limit on it. Im not saying you have to take 2 years or even a year. Im just saying dont rush yourself. Others who have more experience with it will comment and also, im sure you could read the taper threads. Thats about all i know. Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I would really like to know some of your addiction history, it would help us give you better answers. Obviously, only if you're willing to share.

A general taper guideline would be a 25% reduction every month. There are as many different ways to taper as there are ways to skin a cat, you eventually have to find what works best for you and your situation.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

For some reason I want to say that Dr. Junig recommended reductions of 10% every 2-4 weeks. I can't quote him on that, but that seems to be what I remember. Like has already been said, a long, slow, and low taper is the best way to go to try to avoid as much discomfort as possible. The lower and slower you go the less acute and post-acute withdrawal symptoms you will have. I haven't tapered off yet (probably won't anytime soon), so I cannot give you any advice based on personal experience.

Good luck and thanks for choosing to serve our country. (I'm an Army vet myself.)

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:18 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

In my opinion, slowly tapering down to a very low dose of Suboxone (0.20 mgs or less) is the best way to stop Suboxone with minimal withdrawal and greatly reduced risk of PAWS. This opinion is based on my personal experience - I have been off of Sub for over a year now - and on reading the experiences of other people have tapered.

Ideally, you would give yourself enough time to stabilize (not feel any withdrawal symptoms, cravings or urges to use for 4-7 days) between each reduction in your dose. As your dose gets lower, you begin to feel the reductions more and it might take more time to feel stable after a reduction. For example, many people can reduce from 8mgs to 6mgs to 4mgs without feeling much discomfort at all, but once you get below 4mgs you start to feel it a bit more. Below 2mgs is where it can begin to get more difficult and you might have to take smaller steps down or wait longer between reductions. If you have Suboxone pills, you can use the liquid method to accurately measure out very small doses, if you have the strips you might be able to cut them with a razor or something.

I don't know what your time frame for needing to be done with Suboxone is. If you need to make the process faster, I would recommend going quickly with your taper to get down to 2mgs and then slowing it down and using the bulk of the time you have to taper down from there. If you give me more details about how quickly you want to do your taper I can try to help you build a schedule.

Other things to consider - taking care of yourself now and throughout your taper process will make it go easier. Eat right, exercise, maintain a healthy social life, etc. Hopefully you are doing this with the support of a doctor, as there are comfort medications that can ease the withdrawal symptoms.

Read through the taper threads for more info. The Liquid Taper thread has my taper story as well as a few other success stories. Matt's taper thread is a positive experience with a relatively fast taper, and there are several others that you could check out. Good luck.

-Jack Kornfield