It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: benzos and suboxone
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:43 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been prescribed suboxone for 3 months now and have not slipped on opiates at all however i have been taking some xanax 0.5 mgs. I used to be prescribed xanax by my regular physician but now buy them off the street occasionally. My suboxone doctor does not feel I need any benzos for anxiety. I take the xanax however to relieve the tension in my muscles in my neck and back. I played alot of sports when I was younger and now my body pays for it now at the age of 26. If I do not take any xanax my back is completely tight from my shoulders down to my heal of my leg (sciatica). I went to a massage therapist who has been in the business for 30 years and she said I had one of the tighest backs she has ever felt and told me I should be prescribed something like xanax to relieve muscle spams. at most I take 1mg of xanax a day. .5mg in the morning and .5mg at night. What should I do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:33 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

does your doctor drug test? if so then that might be an issue. also there is an issue with suboxone and benzos as they can cause respiratory depression and it can kill you. I know there are people that are prescribed the two but they are under the care of a dr that is monitoring htem. Also if tyou are taking them everyday you should know they are addictive and the withdrawals suck really really bad and can kill you. with that said, if i were you i would take to your dr he can presecribe flexoril or something that is helpful to muscle aches. I know that i take flexoril for muscle cramping as i run alot and get bad leg cramps often. I think benzos are ok if taken on an as needed basis but when they are taken everyday they become addictive, and also taking them that often will eventually caus you to have to up your dose. I was prescfribed them for 2 years and my dose got up so high that it wasnt barely doing anything to me unless i took 6 or more mg. if i were you i would just talk to your dr about the pain you are experiencing.

Post subject: I agree
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Bitzy21 sounds right on to me with suggesting you get something specifically for muscle tension. I've been on Klonopin a long time. Originally, I was given it for seizures, when my Sub doctor/psych offered to take over my neurological issues. Klonopin is a benzo too. Now I am partially stuck. I take .5 mg a day, and if I don't, I may have a seizure. I also have a terrible back, mainly from fibromyalgia, but I wouldn't choose to take a benzo for it. My back is very bad, so I truly can identify. I cannot handle a massage. It's like torture....

You always walk a fine line if you aren't honest with your doctor. Mine prescribes both my meds, and he doesn't want me doing anything risky by abruptly discontinuing the Klonopin, especially while I'm tapering off Sub. Do you have any extra Sub? I don't want to advocate hoarding, but I do fear for people who plan to come clean with their doctors. I hate hearing that people have been dropped for honesty. If you get drug tested and come back with the Xanax, your doc can legitimately drop you. If you come clean about how much you are taking and ask for advice and redirection, I think you have a better chance at not being dropped. If you are able to safely stop the Xanax, I certainly would do it for your own sake. It's not a monkey you want on your back. Thankfully, I've never felt the need to increase my Klon dose, but people with panic disorder frequently struggle with just that. I think anyone discontinuing a benzo needs to be careful and under a doctor's care, so if you plan to stop the Xanax, let your doctor know. You'd probably get much better results from a muscle relaxer, but be careful with that as well, as they can also be habit-forming.

laddertipper

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:14 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

i have only taken xanax for a week, so I can easily stop. I do get drug tested by my sub doctor but not for another three weeks. I will stop taking the xanax because I am an addict, i will talk to my doc and counselor and see what they suggest for my issues. Thank you for the posts. Now that I am on suboxone I am starting to pay down my debts and its hard waking up everyday knowing how much money I owe people but atleast I am on the right path.

Post subject: Impressive
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey, that was a pretty impressive response! Yes, you are on the right path. You are taking your health seriously and making the best choices you can to protect yourself from falling back into the grip of addiction. Trust me, I know exactly how those debts can weigh on you....we went through that not long ago and are still coming out of it. If you keep going in the right direction everyday, you'll be amazed at how far you can get in not too long a time. The bottom line is that now you have your head screwed on right and can take advantage of your clear mind. Just do a little at a time!!! :D One day at a time....now there's a cliche that turns out to be true.... :wink:

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:22 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

thanks for your reponse. I am just happy I decided to stop the cycle I was in. I am having my first born in a month and I need to start thinking about him and not only myself.