It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:28 am 
Only asking because I want to know say in the future down the road I break a bone or god forbid something awful happens and I'm in chronic pain from an accident or illness do they refuse you pain meds indefinitely because you at one time were on suboxone maintenance? This is a question that I've been wondering about since I got on suboxone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:30 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

We've been discussing this lately around here. It's true that some doctors find out a person is on sub and automatically think that person is drug-seeking. This would be because they simply don't understand what sub is all about. It's sad. I don't know if those same people would judge someone once they went off of it. Then again, once a person is off it for a while, how would they even know?

Lately with all the state databases that pharmacists and doctors have access to, even those people who choose not to admit their sub use may end up with the cat out of the bag. My plan is to tell them up front. I even have a medic-alert bracelet that says I'm on suboxone. But to avoid being treated like crap, many people just won't tell any ER/ED doctors that they are on it. I do think it's a valid fear. Like I said, it's sad.

Ideally, when a person needs acute pain relief, doctors would know that the patient needs MORE full agonists to address the pain rather than less. But the truth is that there simply isn't enough education out there for doctors about sub.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:16 pm 
There's a thread under Miscellaneous Suboxone Issues entitled "Dust" (and yes, it does start out talking about that stuff you have to clean off furniture). But if you go on to page 2 there's a great disussion going on about how ED docs look at Sub patients, and what kinds of judgements are made about addicts, etc.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Lilly - I made those posts into their own topic under Damn Doctor Stories. It's called ER Docs, Suboxone and Drug Seeking Patients.

-Jack Kornfield