It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:15 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I have been on Suboxone for a little over 2 years. For the majority of this time (up until about 4 months ago) it was going GREAT. Now, it's not. It's causing financial issues for me and my family and is making me question the whole damn thing.

The first thing I question is; Why is it so difficult to find a doctor that will take insurance and/or why are they charging so much? I pay $200 a month to see my doctor for 5 minutes or less. They will not take insurance, won't help with appeal processes regarding the medication and when asked for a printout of services (so I can file a claim myself), they hand me a printed page that is vague and looks like I typed out myself. They won't let you go longer than a month without seeing them and if you need to reschedule an appointment (which I've never done), they will only call a week of medication in and charge you a $50 fee. You can only do this ONE time the entire duration of your treatment. What pissed me off last month was when I was 15 min late for my appt due to an accident on the highway (I drive 45 min to this doctor) they charged me a $50 late fee. Yet the month prior, I patiently waited an hour and a half to see the doctor because he got confused on what time he needed to be there. He though 10 am, was supposed to be 9. I didn't get anything for that. No $50 discount. When arguing this and asking for them to cut me some slack, they refused. So now that takes my monthly out of pocket expense to over $750. $250 for the appt + over $500 for medication. Which brings me to my next point:

Insurance refusing to pay for the medication. They used to pay for it, but now they only pay for Zubsov. WHY? I tried the Zubsolv. It didn't work for me. I had problems with it. I had to switch back to the strips. So I filed an appeal on behalf of myself. Because like I said, the doc office doesn't help with those. I just got the letter today telling me they denied my appeal. I'm taking it to the next level and asked for a hearing on the matter. It probably won't work.

The one thing my doc did that helped me is put me on generic subs. Which saves me about $250 a month. That should be a Godsend for me, except I'm having major issues with the generic tablets. I don't like the pill form, It takes me back to a place I don't want to be. I'm having issues with absorption and I have felt bad since switching. I was holding out on this appeal in hopes of being able to go back to strips. That's not looking good at all.

So now what? Do I try to stick it out on these generic tabs? Even though every single day I'm having a hard time? Do I go back to paying for strips and bankrupt my family?

Try to find a new doc you say? I have. There is no doctors in, or anywhere within 1 hour driving that will take insurance. Actually...it's safe to say within 2 hours driving distance are there no doctors taking insurance.

I don't know what to do. This isn't good. I feel like I climbed a mountain and now I am falling down the other side into a fire pit.

I wanted off opiates, it was ruining everything and everyone around me. I don't regret my choice. I just don't know where to go from here! I keep hitting walls. I'm starting to feel like a bad person for being on this now. I feel guilty that I am taking money we need for other things and being selfish with it. I feel like I should have been off of this a long time ago, but the though of stopping scares the shit out of me.

This sucks.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

HI Mizzme

So what I got from your last post was you DO like taking the regular Suboxone strips and they do help with the addiction issues right? Is it mainly the money for your reason to get off the Subs?

And trust me Money is a big reason so I am not coming down on u from wanting to get off of them for financial reasons.

What you might want to do since the strips work the best for you, is to start taking less. HOw much are you taking now? try to take half that amount. So you wont have to pay so much out of pocket. My insurance also wont pay for Subs either, and the only pay for Zubsolf. So, I take Zubsolv now and I can't tell the diff. It seems to work for me but if it doesn't work for you, you can always try and cut down on the amount you have to buy every month by tapering down. Plus you will gear your self up for when you do try to taper all the way off of them.

I do think it sucks about having to pay every month. I have to do the same and the amount is $180 per month for me. I pay because I was paying $over $1000 for pills every month illegally . So I am choosing to stick with it. I think i would def replapse if I got off Zubsolv. So I would rather be out the money then be at risk for relapse.

Good luck with everything. I hope you can find some answers here.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:53 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Yeah, the strips are so much better for me. As of now I'm on the generic subutex. I don't want to stop the program, I just wish I would stop hitting walls when trying to save money on it. It's not fair that these doctors don't take insurance. It's not fair that the insurance company refuses to pay for a specific brand in favor of another. I'm pretty sure they didn't even read my appeal that stated why I couldn't take Zubsolv, with medical reasons listed. Because the reason for their "no" is that there is another medication that is the same. Obviously talking about Zubsolv. So if I say I can't take zubsolv, and they say well we aren't going to cover suboxone because zubsolv is what we think you should take, obviously they missed the point.

I'm going to try to submit a claim on my own to get reimbursed for services. I'm not optimistic that they will pay for any of it though considering how greedy they have been thus far (United Healthcare...I'm talking to you!!!!)

If that doesn't work, and I have to either stay on the generic or keep paying with money I don't have, I don't know where that will put me with all this.

As far as reducing my dose? I've tapered in the past, had issues in my life and went back up. With all this going on and all the stress I've been under (losing my job, not having money, this whole suboxone thing) I don't think it's a good time to try to reduce again. Which is ironic now that I really think about it.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:16 pm 

Hey mizz, I totally agree with u. In society, addicts have such an awful rep. Then when there's finally a medicine that helps and puts us functioning in society again, it's so expensive that many can't pay for it plus living expenses. I don't even have insurance. Even if I did my clinic doesn't take it....it'd only pay for the meds. I know exactly what u mean about no close clinics or doctors, if u wanna be on subs ur at ur clinics mercy and can't choose one that's best for u cause there's no options. I pay $350 a month plus 42 strips a month...out of pocket. That's a house payment! But I have realized that if I wanna live normal and being on subs is how I can, I just have to smile and look over all the things I don't agree with cause not being on it isn't what I want. I really hope u can find some peace mizz, I relate to ur story so much...every post almost. I've been dealing with it for almost 3 yrs. There should be more help and more clinics...small town areas have addicts just like everywhere else.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm a cash paying patient, and my treatment even with being rx'd the mono product buprenorphine generic, my out of pocket costs are over 600.00 a month without including my travel expenses to drive 2 and a half hours each way to see my doctor biweekly. If I included that, it's close to 800 bucks a month! Is quite a hardship at times. But imo it beats the alternative and I spent at least that much per week during my active addiction. It's still hard, but I can save some money now at least because I don't owe all my pay check to my dealer every week, and I do pay my bills now instead of having cancelled car insurance, no cell phone, no gas in my car, and watching the same dvds over and over again because my satellite TV is turned off for non payment! I completely understand the financial difficulties this treatment can present to those who are uninsured or whose insurance won't pay. It's sad.

I also have found creative ways to supplement my income, like working extra hours, becoming a pure bred dog breeder, I already had the male and female toy poodles so. .. why not? I also bake homemade cakes and pies around the holidays for extra money for Xmas. Perhaps you can capitalize on a talent you may have to earn extra money? Perhaps a service you could offer like babysitting or helping elderly people one or twice a week to run errands or do chores? Or take on some sort of part time job to supplement your income? Just throwing out ideas here. I'm not sure whether this would be feasible for you or not. I realize I've gotta do what I've gotta do to earn the money to afford it, because without it, the costs are far greater, not only financially.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:37 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Jenn, thank you for the reply :) It's nice to know that if at the least, there are those out there that can relate. I agreed with you all the way. Especially the comment about small towns having addicts too. I've been making all these posts lately because I've been waiting on my insurance and I made this switch and it's just been tough. Really brought everything into perspective and almost made me question the whole thing. But your absolutely right, if I want to live a normal life and that means subs...so be it. I can only do so much about it ....which brings me to.....

Lizzie :) I like your idea in trying to find ways to make extra money. I actually was thinking about that a lot today. Ways that I can make up for the extra cost. Actually, I was trying to figure out how I could come up with $250 extra (on top of the $600 I'm already paying for this) to get back on the film strips. I don't know about that because I already need to come up with a way to afford the $600 lol. I don't really have any "skills" that someone would pay for and my dogs are mutts lol. It will work out though....I have faith. I have to hold on to that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Who knows, you may think of something, don't sell yourself short, everyone is good at something! We all have gifts, maybe you just don't know it yet:)