It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:31 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I started MMT 14 mis ago. Topped out @ 80mg. Have since tapered to 31mg. I have to switch. Daily visits are no longer an option. My husband is so angry and says "you've been doing this 2 years!!!!" He doesn't care what I show him to read he spoke to my councilor and accused them of just trying to make $. He says I should be way down. I can't go any faster as I already feel WDs because I can't go daily but every other really. And I get extreme anxiety. Like my heart is beating so fast. Just over the topic itself, his attitude and WDs... I don't know how I can switch because I got a BRAND new awesome job and I absolutely can't screw it up. And I'm afraid of being late even. Advice. Anything?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

OMG dont get me started on being pressured off your meds. The exact same thing happened to me when I first started taking subs. My husband thought is was a waist of money and switching one habit for another blah blah blah.

If you have a new job, then you need to tell your husband to "Pump the brakes" on making you get off the methadone so fast. This is your addiction issue not his.

take your time. I took methadone before switching to subs and i was down to 20mg before I made the switch.

Subs are for me a better option because of the once a month doctor visit as opposed to every day ( too much time every day to go there)

I wish you all the best. And find a sub doctor and try to make the switch when YOU are ready.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:32 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi! I was rushed as well, by my doctor. There are no methadone clinics in my new town, it was illegal for him to prescribe it to me for addiction, so it was suboxone or nothing and I was very upset and have to be at work the next morning as well. BUT I am so grateful he did that, it was a huge turning point in my life. You are down to a low enough dose to switch, it should be smooth.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've switched at 30mg methadone, and also 40+mg (it was a while ago so I can't remember exact doses). On both switches there was some discomfort when I first went on Suboxone, but it was over pretty much over within a day. If you go through with the switch, I recommend trying to organise it for a weekend. Maybe take your last dose of methadone on a Thursday and have your first dose of Sub on the Saturday. This gives you all of Sunday to make sure you're right for work Monday.

Like pugmommy said, the switch from done to suboxone is a really liberating step I felt. Compared to methadone, Suboxone doesn't bog you down nearly as much. You feel much more human on Suboxone. The switch is well worth the initial discomfort, if there is any.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:53 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I switched Friday. Fortunately have had ZERO problems thank goodness. I can't tell much difference as far as side effects. But I had a lot on Done I didn't like at all. But not a lot of time has passed. Also I seem to have, and this could just be a fluke, the desire to take a couple of pills. I haven't felt that in a year. But I'm too scared of them canceling the sub or having sum crazy side effect but I don't get the desire???

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't totally understand your post-- what you mean by 'on Don'? Read it and maybe clarify a bit?

Cravings are common whenever stressors come up-- so I wouldn't be too concerned about thinking about using. Being on buprenorphine is different from being on methadone. But there are more similarities than differences-- so try to roll with the feelings, and keep doing the next right thing. I don't think it makes sense to get worked up about the medications people take. It is HARD to get through life, after becoming addicted to opioids. How you manage to get through life is your business, and your business alone.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:02 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

My iPhone auto correct messed up I was saying I was craving but was scared to even try anything because I've heard bad things about when you try that with sub. But with methadone you just never feel it but nothing bad happens. I agree life is very very hard and even harder When you are taking something I considered to be a happy pill or pills in my case. Although I have some mild cravings I am no wa when you are taking something I considered to be a happy pill or pills in my case. Although I have some mild cravings I feel 110% certain I could never start that cycle again. I know it's easier to say right now while on subs but I just don't see how I could don't want to find out though

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:17 pm 

Hi Aginn10, Welcome! You did not say how many milligrams of suboxone you are taking. You may want to increase the suboxone if you feel that the cravings are getting the best of you. I know what I am about to say is easier said than done, but I just have to say it! Your recovery needs to be the most important thing in the world to you. There has got to be a way for your husband to understand and respect that! It is easy for those on the outside to say...if he can't support you than just leave him. But, I know that is not easy and not always what is best. I am so happy that you can come here for support! You should be very proud of the huge steps that you are taking to make positive changes in your life! Please keep posting and let us be your support!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi A10!

Did you tell us on another thread that hubby is now on board given he went w you and witnessed your bup induction? I am going to pirate your phrase 'shook like a hostage', when you described one of your WDs awaiting induction.

Hey, maybe check out this thread from here, as I believe its your bup doc. I think the link works, just have to cursor over it. As I mentioned in an earlier post to you, I think it may be helpful for you to understand your MDs dosage point of view, as he is very clear on it on his website and here in a forum thread.

suboxone-practice-mid-cities-area-dallas-fort-worth-t11846.html

You've worked hard on 14 mos of methadone treatment, then worked even harder to switch to bup treatment. I hope you re read and re read Dr. J's comments - you've been thru alot of stress changing from Done to Bup. Yet, its turned into a huge accomplishment - because I read all of your posts and can see the efforts you've gone thru! You are staying in treatment, are now free to Rx at home, have a new great job, your hubby's on board, a cool daughter... keep all this going!

Michelle is so right - let us be your support here. We are so happy to help you!! Best, P