It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Beginning my Taper!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:51 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi All,

I started using opiates (mainly generic and brand name hydrocodone) in the late summer of 2008, due to a bad divorce. In Jan 2012, I finally did the right thing- and started using buprenorphine (as you all know- generic subutex).

My Dr. started me on 16mg. And since then- I've been on my own schedule- (unbeknownst to him). In the first month- I made the drop from 16mg to 6mg within days- I figured- 6mg was just my true starting dosage. ( I had a lot of extra scripts- to which I ALWAYS destroyed).

My Dr initially had me take 4mg 4x a day (every 6 hours) - Around 6 months in, he tapered me down to 4mg 3x a day (every 8 hours). At this point, I myself dropped from taking 2mg 3x a day, to 1mg 4x a day. He had started writing me the 2mg pills. To which, it was easily to split them in half for the 1mg size.

This is where I just plateaued with tapering. About a year later, I tapered down to 1mg 3x a day. This past weekend, I just finished tapering (from 3mg total) down to 2mg a day by taking 0.5mg 4x a day (a quarter piece of my 2mg pill at a time).

To make sure I am only taking a total of 2mg a day- since it is hard to make sure I have uniform size quarters- I carry around a little pill container. I use a pill cutter to cut my pill in half. Then a razor to cut the halves into quarters. Some of the quarters are bigger than others- but at least at the end of the day- I have kept an even total intake of 2mg. I usually take the larger quarters- if there is one- during waking hours- in the daytime- and save the smaller quarters for while i am asleep.

Here is my plan for the taper. After a taper- I am going to allow myself a week minimum of getting to feel normal- before moving downward. And I always do tapers on the weekends. Here are the next tapers.

Currently: 1/2 mg every 6 hours = total 2 mg per day
Next: 1/2 mg every 8 hours = total 1.5 mg per day
Next: 1/4 mg every 6 hours = 1 mg per day **
1/4 mg every 8 hours = 3/4 mg per day
1/8 mg every 6 hours = 1/2 mg per day
1/8 mg every 8 hours = 3/8 mg per day
1/16 mg every 6 hours = 1/4 mg per day
1/16 mg every 8 hours = 3/16 mg per day
1/32 mg every 6 hours = 1/8 mg per day
1/32 mg every 8 hours = 3/32 mg per day
1/64 mg every 6 hours = 1/16 mg per day
1/64 mg every 8 hours = 3/64mg per day

** Approximately around this taper- my pill will need to be cut into 8 pieces. 8 pieces from a tiny pill!!! So i will be using the oral solution via syringe method.

I ordered 1ml syringes. I will be crushing the total daily amount, into powder, and dissolving it in 1 ML of sterile water, to which I will then put into the 1ML syringe. On tapers- where I am intaking a dosage 3x a day- I will place 1/3 of the solution under my tongue every 8 hours. And so on and so forth.

I will probably feel very stupid when i receive the 1ML syringes- as I do not know if they're ridiculously small and will not suit the job.

So: two things on my learning curve:

1) Did i order the correct size syringe
2) is dosing myself 3-4x a day really going to bite me in the butt when i take the jump. At some point, I will taper by dropping down to 2x a day- and then down to 1x a day- once I hit the 1/64mg dosings.

When I tapered from 3mg to 2mg- my "uncomfortable" moments were so minimal and spanned only 2 days. They were mostly a little sweating and sensitivity to cold temperatures, as well as the hot/cold flashes. Sleep was undisturbed - except for when I woke up to the need of an overdue dosing. This was to be expected- as I know the real pain- comes when its dropping from 2mg downwards.

My next taper will be this following weekend. I will drop from 2mg to 1.5 mg total! (1/2 mg 3x a day)

Post subject: Re: Beginning my Taper!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:23 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Just started my next taper-

Today I started taking 1/2 mg every 8 hours, for a daily total of 1.5mg. (Previously, I was taking 1/2 mg every 6 hours, for a daily total of 2mg). I am on my second dosing of this. There has been no discomfort as of far.

I know the hard work starts at 1mg. And the most work- when I jump off.

Excited. Hopeful.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:33 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Wow sounds like a very well thought out plan! I hope it works for you!! I'm at 8mg, and tapering to 6mg tomorrow. I'm nervous about it, even though I probably won't even be able to notice a big difference at that level. Anyway, good luck with the taper! Hopefully you can update along the way, I'd love to follow your plan if you find it works pretty well!! :)

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:35 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Lucky, 1 ml syringes should be fine. I did my last several weeks of Subs using a 10 ml, and it worked, but 1 ml would have been much easier.

FWIW i always found day 1 of my taper easy, with day 3 and/or 4 being the hardest. Things actually got easier after my jump. The first couple days were rocky, but there was steady improvement after that. I think it helped me mentally once i finally jumped -- sort of like parachuting i figure, once you're out of the plane you can get past the fear, and start enjoying the ride.

Good luck with your taper.

-- ji

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:20 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hey Lucky how's the tapering going?