It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:23 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi guys! I am looking for some information. I have been on suboxone for 10 days now. I take 2mg before bed, and 2mg in the morning.

Personally, I got on subs with the idea of no longer needing a substance to survive.
I feel so much healthier now that i've been off the needle. Color has come back to my skin, i've gained 8 lbs in 10 days, which is great because I was deathly underweight before.

Currently my main fear is that I become addicted to the subs. I didn't get on subs just to have a new addiction. However, I heard some people say that subs aren't bad for you. (Maybe they meant in comparison to pills it is little to nothing, im not sure)

I know my doctor is just going to keep giving me script after script of the strips for at least 3 months. She prescribed me 8mg a day, but I know I dont need that much. (Like I said I have been doing 2mg twice a day)
Currently, i'm trying to get down to just 2mg a day once before bed.
Basically, what I want to know is: How long will it be before the subs are no longer helping me get clean, and they become a new addiction. I'm not even sure if you can get seriously addicted to subs, but I have heard of people who are, but I am worried about physical addiction- not mental.
Should I already be worrying about tapering my dose down? Should I be trying to quit subs already in order to get dependant free? Or is this something I dont need to worry about for a few weeks or months down the road? Maybe this isnt even a realistic thing to worry about? I have no idea. I'd rather get info from users rather than doctors who just read a pamphlet and write out the scripts.

I am currently feeling great about life. I take my little piece of a strip in the morning, and I have a good day. Then once before bed & I have a great nights sleep. I'm seriously afraid of withdrawal- that's why I got on subs. Life is good, I can get subs for a while, should the subs stay or should they go? I want them to stay, at least for a few more weeks, if it really isn't going to become a huge issue in contexts of dependence.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:51 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

man I would stabilize yourself at the 4 mg dose for a while. you need to get away from dope completely. subs will not kill you dope will. you know what you get from subutex but not from a needle and a bag. it just a story for flat out death, not happy story. you will die if you keep playing with that shit, or got to jail and wish you were dead. if you still feel like you want to use go up with your dose, chill for some time and let those who you buy from got to jail because that is where they go. don't want a scare tactic just tying to give you flat out brutal honesty. be thankful you found subs or they found you. and deal with one day at a time, keep posting......DB

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:00 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

dirtyblonde wrote:
man I would stabilize yourself at the 4 mg dose for a while. you need to get away from dope completely. subs will not kill you dope will. you know what you get from subutex but not from a needle and a bag. it just a story for flat out death, not happy story. you will die if you keep playing with that shit, or got to jail and wish you were dead. if you still feel like you want to use go up with your dose, chill for some time and let those who you buy from got to jail because that is where they go. don't want a scare tactic just tying to give you flat out brutal honesty. be thankful you found subs or they found you. and deal with one day at a time, keep posting......DB

I dont think you understand where im coming from with this post.
I did pills, not h, btw. I have moved and I am away from dope completely. I do NOT feel like I want to use AT ALL. That had nothing to do with why I posted this. I posted this because I need to be sure I DO NOT get addicted to subs. There's no way in hell im upping my dose. The only thing I want to know is: How long can you be on subs without getting addicted to them. Because if needed, ill quit subs all together tonight if that's necessary to do to avoid sub dependence. I'm trying to be CLEAN, not on subs for the rest of my life.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:45 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

VisaBlack wrote:
dirtyblonde wrote:

I did pills, not h, btw. I have moved and I am away from dope completely. I do NOT feel like I want to use AT ALL. That had nothing to do with why I posted this. I posted this because I need to be sure I DO NOT get addicted to subs. There's no way in hell im upping my dose. The only thing I want to know is: How long can you be on subs without getting addicted to them. Because if needed, ill quit subs all together tonight if that's necessary to do to avoid sub dependence. I'm trying to be CLEAN, not on subs for the rest of my life.

sorry my bad, eyes getting bad I guess. To answer you question, yes, you can get addicted to subs. How long before I cant answer that because its different for everyone. I think somewhere I read a good consensus is 3-4 weeks on.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:57 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

dirtyblonde wrote:
VisaBlack wrote:
dirtyblonde wrote:

sorry my bad, eyes getting bad I guess. To answer you question, yes, you can get addicted to subs. How long before I cant answer that because its different for everyone. I think somewhere I read a good consensus is 3-4 weeks on.

Thank you for the information (:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:59 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Note: Still in need of more info asap. Thank you. :!: :!: :!:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:54 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello and welcome,
I think you should do some research on sub
As well as talk to your doc.
As sub is not a quick fix for addiction, or withdrawal.
There is a couple of different ways take sub.
Option one is a quick 30 day detox
Option two is a longer stay on sub depending on your previous history.
If you get off sub now the chance of relapse is very very high, take it from me I know.
To answer your question CAN YOU GET ADDICTED TO SUB the answer is yes
In some what of a short time as well but keep on mind you are already addicted to optiats.
The difference here is sub won't kill you the pills will or at the least you will end up in jail.
I would have a conversation with your doc and set a plan for what is best for you.
There is a lot of chemical changes happening in your brain right now that is helping you stay clean.
I tried to do a quick detox once and was off pills started sub and got off sub all in about 20-30 days
It only lasted 2 months because the behavior and addiction is still active.
I have now been on sub for 3 years and my life is great
I have a great job,white picket fence kids and a happy wife
I am living the American dream LOL.
I have now started to taper of the sub and am at 1.7mg from 4-4.5 mg (3years of 4mg)
I now feel confident in my recovery to not relapse.
This might not be right for everybody but it's working for me.
I wish you all the best and good luck because this addiction IS HELL ON EARTH if you don't get out before it's to late.
There is lots of info on this site for you to research

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:55 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Subnorg wrote:
Hello and welcome,
I think you should do some research on sub
As well as talk to your doc.
As sub is not a quick fix for addiction, or withdrawal.
There is a couple of different ways take sub.
Option one is a quick 30 day detox
Option two is a longer stay on sub depending on your previous history.
If you get off sub now the chance of relapse is very very high, take it from me I know.
To answer your question CAN YOU GET ADDICTED TO SUB the answer is yes
In some what of a short time as well but keep on mind you are already addicted to optiats.
The difference here is sub won't kill you the pills will or at the least you will end up in jail.
I would have a conversation with your doc and set a plan for what is best for you.
There is a lot of chemical changes happening in your brain right now that is helping you stay clean.
I tried to do a quick detox once and was off pills started sub and got off sub all in about 20-30 days
It only lasted 2 months because the behavior and addiction is still active.
I have now been on sub for 3 years and my life is great
I have a great job,white picket fence kids and a happy wife
I am living the American dream LOL.
I have now started to taper of the sub and am at 1.7mg from 4-4.5 mg (3years of 4mg)
I now feel confident in my recovery to not relapse.
This might not be right for everybody but it's working for me.
I wish you all the best and good luck because this addiction IS HELL ON EARTH if you don't get out before it's to late.
There is lots of info on this site for you to research

I deeply appreciate your information and guidance.
I understand the relapse concerns. I am not so sure my doctor is actually interested in getting me dependant free. I feel like she just wants money and will leave me on subs forever, that was the only reason I was weary to speak to her about these things. I will continue to read other threads and posts to gain information and help develop my plan. I will keep this thread updated.
Thank you.

(Note: Information & advice from others' is still very much needed & appreciated if you chose to take the time & share.)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey visablack. This is just my opinion and experience with subs. The longer you stay on it, the harder it is to get off it. Your body will become physically dependent on it and you will experience withdrawals when you stop. Some jump from high doses and make it, after going through some tough physical symptoms, some taper to extremely low doses and experience mild wds. Mild or extreme, wds suck either way.

The reason doctors prescribe subs for a long period of time is to allow us to get our lives together, work a recovery program and put time and distance between us and our drug of choice. We need to address why we used in the first place. Subs save lives. They can be a great tool in recovery. We dont crave drugs, we feel normal, and that helps keep us on track and moving forward in our lives.

if you need to make changes in your life, I would suggest staying on a low dose and put some pieces in play. Diet and exercise are huge and will help tremendously when you decide to stop taking subs. Getting really healthy is a huge part of recovery. I didnt start working out until the 3rd week of my detox from subs and I wished I had started months earlier. Makes things so much better.

good luck in whatever you decide to do with the subs and keep us posted!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

trainer14 wrote:
Hey visablack. This is just my opinion and experience with subs. The longer you stay on it, the harder it is to get off it. Your body will become physically dependent on it and you will experience withdrawals when you stop. Some jump from high doses and make it, after going through some tough physical symptoms, some taper to extremely low doses and experience mild wds. Mild or extreme, wds suck either way.

The reason doctors prescribe subs for a long period of time is to allow us to get our lives together, work a recovery program and put time and distance between us and our drug of choice. We need to address why we used in the first place. Subs save lives. They can be a great tool in recovery. We dont crave drugs, we feel normal, and that helps keep us on track and moving forward in our lives.

if you need to make changes in your life, I would suggest staying on a low dose and put some pieces in play. Diet and exercise are huge and will help tremendously when you decide to stop taking subs. Getting really healthy is a huge part of recovery. I didnt start working out until the 3rd week of my detox from subs and I wished I had started months earlier. Makes things so much better.

Great advice ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ top to bottom!! I wholeheartedly agree with it all!

Mahatma Gandhi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:14 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

you study the mind right well study layne's mind. I did in my recovery and I was blown away, fool in the rain right, some stupid junky, nope ............. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5Thn6hZXjY what does this song say to you.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:40 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

trainer14 wrote:

Thank you very much for this. I have made huge life changes. I moved in with family, My ties with anyone around opiates have been severed, I go to a group drug counselling class every week, I just set up an appointment with a new personal therapist, I have begun taking vitamins, i've been getting tan outside running and lifting weights, also I have begun meditating, & I have picked up my old passion of writing regularly again. So I am in such a better place in life now. Even though the bad is not far into the past, however, I honestly believe I have finally made appropriate changes to safeguard myself from ever relapsing.

(I've 'gotten clean' and always relapsed after a week, at most, 10 days. Simply because I wouldn't/couldn't make the appropriate changes. Changes that have now been made. This is the longest i've been clean and most the confident i've ever been about it. I just know me, & I know shooting up is behind me.)

I tried to jump off from 2mg two or three days ago. I made it about 55 hours before I ended up taking 1mg. The insomnia is the only part I can't handle. I simply can't sleep without suboxone. I can go all day every day without it, but when I just become so restless and my mind wont sleep from the ild withdrawal, it becomes a lot to bare. I think it might be because 2mg is too high of a jump off dose. So for the next 4 days or so im going to take my 1mg once every 23-28 hours. I'm hoping that will help. I just know my brain, & I know that I have a battle ahead of me in terms of getting off subs & currently, this is the only worry I have. I want to be off subs and from what i've been reading on the forums, I need to start tapering at the very least; followed closing by my jump off. The sooner the better it seems, particularly in my situation. :idea:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:08 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

VisaBlack wrote:
trainer14 wrote:

Thank you very much for this. I have made huge life changes. I moved in with family, My ties with anyone around opiates have been severed, I go to a group drug counselling class every week, I just set up an appointment with a new personal therapist, I have begun taking vitamins, i've been getting tan outside running and lifting weights, also I have begun meditating, & I have picked up my old passion of writing regularly again. So I am in such a better place in life now. Even though the bad is not far into the past, however, I honestly believe I have finally made appropriate changes to safeguard myself from ever relapsing.

(I've 'gotten clean' and always relapsed after a week, at most, 10 days. Simply because I wouldn't/couldn't make the appropriate changes. Changes that have now been made. This is the longest i've been clean and most the confident i've ever been about it. I just know me, & I know shooting up is behind me.)

I tried to jump off from 2mg two or three days ago. I made it about 55 hours before I ended up taking 1mg. The insomnia is the only part I can't handle. I simply can't sleep without suboxone. I can go all day every day without it, but when I just become so restless and my mind wont sleep from the ild withdrawal, it becomes a lot to bare. I think it might be because 2mg is too high of a jump off dose. So for the next 4 days or so im going to take my 1mg once every 23-28 hours. I'm hoping that will help. I just know my brain, & I know that I have a battle ahead of me in terms of getting off subs & currently, this is the only worry I have. I want to be off subs and from what i've been reading on the forums, I need to start tapering at the very least; followed closing by my jump off. The sooner the better it seems, particularly in my situation. :idea:

I hear ya, that was me too, I would do the same. loved to get high, but I relapsed so many times and put myself in some bad situations. I did not even know what was happening to me until it was too late. I had to use to stay well. sucked ass then man, then I found subutex. I crutched it for a while because I would use then sub out a few days but found opiate addiction is opiate addiction. subs are a form of opiate so you will w/d from them one day, but not like a straight full agonist opiate. I took my time and got away from it all, started thinking why do I choose to be sick all the time. bam, my little pea brain lit up. Take my advice bro and just take it slow. give yourself sometime to recover with the subs if you can. remember relapse is like 99.5% against you its that high. put some time between you and your drug of choice and then work on a taper program if needed.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:06 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

dirtyblonde wrote:
VisaBlack wrote:
trainer14 wrote:

I hear ya, that was me too, I would do the same. loved to get high, but I relapsed so many times and put myself in some bad situations. I did not even know what was happening to me until it was too late. I had to use to stay well. sucked ass then man, then I found subutex. I crutched it for a while because I would use then sub out a few days but found opiate addiction is opiate addiction. subs are a form of opiate so you will w/d from them one day, but not like a straight full agonist opiate. I took my time and got away from it all, started thinking why do I choose to be sick all the time. bam, my little pea brain lit up. Take my advice bro and just take it slow. give yourself sometime to recover with the subs if you can. remember relapse is like 99.5% against you its that high. put some time between you and your drug of choice and then work on a taper program if needed.

I see what you're saying. I've decided to stay on 1mg a day for a little while longer then i'll try the jump off. I would have stayed off the subs when I tried to jump off a few days ago- but the not sleeping thing is too much for me to handle. I don't know what i'm going to do to get through that. The not sleeping thing is the only reason I got on subs instead of going cold turkey in the first place. Smoking weed helps, but it doesn't actually make me fall asleep. & xanax is annoying to find on the street, even then, i'm not sure if it would even knock me out during w/d's.