It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:45 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

From "Induction Area"

dragonfly1127 wrote:
This is my first time here and really hope that this gets out to enough people that will be able to help me. I have been on suboxone for 6 years and am about to have surgery under GA. I know that I will get tru it but the whole thing has me very scared. I have to go tru 3 days of no subs prior to surgery. Even that I know I will make it tru as I wont even be in to full withdrawals yet as it is only 3 days.
What scared the daylight out of me is all the research I have been doing on people getting off of subs. I am n about 8mgs /day and am about to go down to 4mg soon. All I see is people saying how it was hell and these are people who were not on subs even close to the amount of time I have been. I mean If I go down to 2mgs then off in a slow amount of time I am still going to be in hell from what I see. Has anyone here been on subs for a long time and successfully came off of it with out wanting to kill them selves??? HELP please I need as much info as I can get .. Im scared!

dragonfly1127 wrote:
This is my first time here and really hope that this gets out to enough people that will be able to help me. I have been on suboxone for 6 years and am about to have surgery under GA. I know that I will get tru it but the whole thing has me very scared. I have to go tru 3 days of no subs prior to surgery. Even that I know I will make it tru as I wont even be in to full withdrawals yet as it is only 3 days.
What scared the daylight out of me is all the research I have been doing on people getting off of subs. I am n about 8mgs /day and am about to go down to 4mg soon. All I see is people saying how it was hell and these are people who were not on subs even close to the amount of time I have been. I mean If I go down to 2mgs then off in a slow amount of time I am still going to be in hell from what I see. Has anyone here been on subs for a long time and successfully came off of it with out wanting to kill them selves??? HELP please I need as much info as I can get .. Im scared!

(mod edit - thread merged with same post from "Surgery on Suboxone" area)..

-- Jonathan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm going to move this post and merge it with your other one that says the same thing in the "Stopping Suboxone" area..

You don't want to double-post because sometimes someone might answer you in one post and not in the other, or vice versa.

Also, it makes it tougher to keep the conversations all in one thread if you ask in more than one forum..so try not to double post (or ask the same thing in more than one part of the site).

Everyone who comes through will see your post and you'll get some answers as soon as our members get on here.

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello dragonfly1127, and welcome to the forum. We do have members here who were longtime sub users, and tapered off of subs more comfortably with a long and slow taper. Everyone is different, and some people have a harder time coming off of them than others.

How long do you have until the surgery? Are you planning on just tapering down to a low dose, or getting off of subs completely before your surgery? Are you going to continue with your sub treatment after surgery?

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

RE: hatmaker510 - from "Induction Area"

hatmaker510 wrote:
Hi dragonfly. First I'll refer you to this thread: http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1812

In this thread is another link to an NIH (National Institutes of Health) paper about treating acute pain in suboxone (and methadone) patients. It might help you to not only read it, but print out a few copies to have in case you need to share them with your sub doctor, your surgeon, and/or your anesthesiologist.

You already know that you need to taper down lower on your dose and stop your sub 3 days before surgery. You are obviously worried about withdrawals in those 3 days, though, which is a legitimate concern. I've been though it and frankly, I caved and had to take small slivers the day before (or the morning of, I don't recall now) my surgery. Three days without sub if you've tapered your normal dose down in anticipation of the procedure and you will lately feel the w/d. You may have to just stop the sub two days before the surgery instead of three. To be honest, 2-3 days will probably not make a difference in getting pain relief. They will still need to give you higher than normal pain meds.

The paper I'm referring you to gives a few different options of how to treat acute pain for us sub patients. One of the ways is to stop the sub several days before surgery and put the patient on full agonists BEFORE the procedure. If you have time, you could speak to your surgeon and/or sub doc about doing that.

I hope this helps you some. If you have more questions, just ask away. Personally, I couldn't go through the w/d at the same time that I was nervous about a surgery. Just couldn't do it.

Last edited by jonathanm1978 on Tue May 01, 2012 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Re hatmaker510 from "Induction Area"

hatmaker510 wrote:
One more thing. If you want to see the thread I had going before my procedure when I tapered my dose from 16+ down to about 4 mg before my procedure. I got a LOT of input from a lot of members, so it might help you to read that thread. It answered alot of my questions, too, since it was my first surgery as a sub patient.

http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1804

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Re dragonfly1127 from "Induction Area"

dragonfly1127 wrote:
thanks so much for the info... honestly tho.. these docs here is western mass are clueless.. i think I will print it out to give to my doc..thanks somuch

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Re jonathanm1978 from "Induction Area"

I said this in your other thread...because you posted this 3 times now in different areas of the site..

Dragonfly: PLEASE, do not post the same thing in 2 or 3 places. This is the 3rd place that you've posted this same exact story and people are answering ALL THREE..so it's mounting confusion that is building when people start thinking to themselves they already responded to you, but they don't see their reply because it's one of your duplicate posts.

I understand the feeling of urgency sometimes felt by members to get their posts seen by other, but PEOPLE WILL SEE YOUR POST. You don't have to post multiple times the same thing over and over just to get someone to reply to you.

(These posts are moved from the "Induction Area" and should be noted that this has NOTHING TO DO with Induction..this is suited for the Surgery While on Suboxone area, where it is. Please post in the appropriate sections/areas.)