It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:13 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Sorry, I should have started a new topic. I have been on sub for not quite 4 months. I am out of school for a month and I am no longer havig cravings for opiates just alot of guilt over the length of time i was on meds for chronic pain and realizing how i was numb and living in a shell for so long insulating myself and not allowing myself to feel things normally. Im getting off Sub any suggestions i keep reading the posts for ideas. I have some Clonidin patches .1mg i think i have 2 weeks worth of patches. i have been on since august 20th. I am off from school for a month. I was having cravings so bad that i went up to 4mgs a day for about a month and than cut back to 2 mgs a day about 3 weeks ago. I have been cutting back to 1.5mgs a day the past 3-4 days... the anxiet and worry is really getting to me. I have been trying to cut back on my Xanax intake at the same time. that is probably compounding the issue. I need to get off the sub first and than deal with the xanax i have been on xanax for over a decade. So it doesnt help as much with withdrawal as i am dependent on it as well. i am really scared and worried. I just want my life back after getting off methadone and other pain pills the suboxone has made me see that i want my life back and i am feel more and am coming out of my shell. i am no longer afraid of pain medication and have been able to control my knee pain and arthritis and my sciatica without methadone or hydrocodone. I just have so much guilt I feel like I wasted 8 years of my life that I was on all of these intense pain meds that I got from my Dr. It was my fault I should have done something sooner but I didnt and here I am and Sub showed me there was another way....But no it is time for me to get off the sub once and for all.

Sorry to rant I am really concerned about what I am going to be in for but I have to be better by the time spring semester starts 3 week of january.

Any thoughts would help alot
Thx for listening

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I understand that you want to be off of Suboxone, but are you sure you're ready? Your post mentions that you've recently had cravings and had to increase your dose of Suboxone back up to 4mg. It sounds like those cravings were hitting you about a month or so ago. Again, I know you want off of Suboxone, but do you think getting off of Suboxone is your best course of action right now?

Once you're off of Suboxone, if cravings hit (and they probably will), how are you going to deal with them? Last time your cravings hit, you simply took more Suboxone.....I'm afraid if you're off of Suboxone and cravings hit that you'll take something besides Suboxone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:23 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I have eliminated anythin from my life that could trigger cravings. I havent had cravings since I went back up to what my dose of suboxone was wupposed to be. the reason I believe I had cravings was I tried to get off of the suboxone so fast. But it has now been four months. I got off of methadone for a reason the pain the surgeries etc are over I dont want to keep escalating or tading addictions or issues for another. My job requires that I travel frequently. I don't wish to be stopped in customs in Russia and asked what the suboxone is for...I really want to continue my life not be chained to a substance that helped me to get my life back. Im guessing the 4 day 25 percent methdo is the best way to discontinue the suboxone the problem is i have a month i dont have that much time and i do not know what to expect as far as if the methadone is out of my system now that it has been since august or if i will undergo a whole nother round of withdrawal from the suboxone because it has saturated my receptors. I was just asking questions. I can appreciate that some people want to be on maintenance. But i have made a consciounce decision to take nothing but suboxone and eliminate any bad influences from my life.

I do want off I just wanted to know what I had to expect. so I wasnt walking into this blind.

S

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:37 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

i am not going to waste anymore of my life being a victim. i have been offered by dr and others and have walked away i want off the merry go round. i have until january 13th to do this i am just asking for some help in case i have missed something or at least a heads up on how to do this the smart way.
please advise

S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:11 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hey Scorp ... got a few questions for ya ... how many grams of sub are you doing now and once or twice a day ?
4 weeks should be enough time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:36 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you for the reply. I only dose once a day.I was at 2mgs than I a few days ago I cut back to 1.75mgs. This morning I took a 8mg strip and cut it into 2mg strips and took 1/3 of a 2mg strip so i guess a little bit less than .7mg. I have been on suboxone since August 20th. I got down to less than a mg a day at one point but i relapsed this was 2 months ago. But to answer your question I had been at 2mg for a 3 weeks at least.

Thank you for your reply,

S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:11 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey scorp,

Im kinda confused about why you want to rush off sub. I understand that you feel like you wasted years being numb. I totally get that. But I have been reading on this forum for awhile now...I have seen people rush to get off sub and the use again shortly after.

You probably dont have cravings cause you have sub in your body. Its good that you eliminated stuff that could cause cravings but people say the cravings come back once the sub is gone. Sub is strong even in the low dose you are on.

Are you being prescribed sub? Why not stay on a low dose for awhile and work on the issues that got you addicted in the first plsce?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:21 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

No, I have not been back to the sub doctor. I have been seeing a therapist and the reason i got on sub was originally only supposed to be for 2 month to get off methadone. I have made the sub last from 8 weeks to almost 16 weeks. I have this time to get off. I have learned so many things i slipped yes buti am not slipping anymore. why is everyone trying to convince me to stay on sub???? I have talked this over with my therapist My Psychiatrist... I need to get of sub because the longer i am on it the harder it will be to get off and i will have to do it at work rather than on vacation... I was reading in another forum Romeo was involved with a poster and someone mentioned using temgesic which is low dose bupe to get off. I have temgesic should i use this? I do not want to switch to a short acting opiate to get off because i do not want to open that can of worms again.

thank you for reading this but i have to get off I would prefer getting off with some knowledge and the help of this baord which i was referred to by several people. But if i have to do it with out anyones help i will. im sorry i am very grumpy and i feel like crap it must be mental it is far too soon to feel like crap from w/d's...i am going to take a hot bath.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:28 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

No, I have not been back to the sub doctor. I have been seeing a therapist and the reason i got on sub was originally only supposed to be for 2 month to get off methadone. I have made the sub last from 8 weeks to almost 16 weeks. I have this time to get off. I have learned so many things i slipped yes buti am not slipping anymore. why is everyone trying to convince me to stay on sub???? I have talked this over with my therapist My Psychiatrist... I need to get of sub because the longer i am on it the harder it will be to get off and i will have to do it at work rather than on vacation... I was reading in another forum Romeo was involved with a poster and someone mentioned using temgesic which is low dose bupe to get off. I have temgesic should i use this? I do not want to switch to a short acting opiate to get off because i do not want to open that can of worms again.

thank you for reading this but i have to get off I would prefer getting off with some knowledge and the help of this baord which i was referred to by several people. But if i have to do it with out anyones help i will. im sorry i am very grumpy and i feel like crap it must be mental it is far too soon to feel like crap from w/d's...i am going to take a hot bath.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:05 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey scorp,

Sorry, I guess I just wanted to clarify what your situation was.

This really is a great place and peoplr will support/help with what ever you decide.

Im still on sub so I have no advice on how to get off. Most people try to taper as much as possible then jump. Alot of people say clonidine helps alot. Its a blood preasure med that helps with w/d symptoms. You could use the Temgesic too.

Good luck! I hope you.get through this comfortably!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:27 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I have some clonidin blood pressure patches from when i titrated off methadone over the summer. I was going to use those but i havent been able to ascertain on when to start taking them. I dont know if i should put the first patch on as soon as i take my last piece of sub or wait. i dont know so much about sub its not like with SAO where you know what you are in for....1 post was even saying to take the temgesic like in a staggered .8.6.4. method for 8 days...I am assuming that is to help cushion the withdrawal but i really dont know. i am in between insurance right now and have time off from work but i am so scared. i feel like shite i am so used to taking pills to feel this way or that way and im done since i got off the heavy duty narcotic pain medication i can see what the comnination of benzoes and pain meds were doing to me and numbing me i have made more progree in the past 4 months than i have in the past 8 years. i have learned that i dont want to live that way anymore and my pain level is actually more manageable my threshold is not so sensitive since i got off the pain meds.

sorry i am rambling....i am feeling very odd because i realize that i cant put it off any longer this is the start of the rest of my life the best part of my life and i need to commit.

S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:08 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

i am tryin to do xanax and sub withdrawal @ the same time which isnt possible. so i am doing the sub first. but i am so scared off the xanax. i did some reading and foudn an article by the Dr. on the site and i have numbed myself for so long i feel i lost myself. i am afraid i will never be able to come back i am so scared i cant even leave my apt right now....i would give anything to not be on so much xanax...sorry i am ranting again

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:02 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

hey Scorpiotl, well done getting off the methadone, and getting to where you are now! Gee,,, if you had a dose of m/done now,,, you'd see how far you've come, and that's a fair distance.
All up I got to say I don't know anyone who have left their addiction behind with out making profound changes in their lifestyles, and you seem pretty determined, to get there.
I've used SAO's to drop my dose, just enough to take the edge off (no Chasing), and I'd also use sub at a lower dose once a week.
Practicing to hang loose as oppossed to hanging tight, riding what ever opiate that's inside me, for all it's worth,till w/d set's. Refusing to be critical of myself, no matter what the situation is.
Today I've got to get by on 0.4mg and there is a couple of 30mg codiene phos, with in reach that may be taken if I start becomming very restless. Learning to relax (the lost art) for another hour instead of taking a pill, will be the course of action.
I know I'm not quite stable at 0.8mg, but 0.6 mg is where i'd like to be this time next week.
I'd use the temgesic only via Dr instructions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:57 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I have been thinking the same thing. I have been numbing myself for so long that sometimes just feeling normal feels like withdrawal....if that makes sense....I will do anyting to be druge free to be able to leave without carrying around a bottle of xanax. To be able to pick up and leave for a few days with out having to worry if i have enough sub or if i will get hassled at the airport or thru customs...my worst enemy is myself. i rally appeciate your post. i have thought about SAO to get off sub but I know that if i did that i wouldn't make it i would be chasing and escalating so i will ride this out i am going to take .5mg tomorrow and than the next and than i think start using my temgesic as needed and than just ride it out thru x-mas. I know the xanax is the more dangerous of my addictions and i really went off the rails when i get on methadone 8 years ago...i couldnt get an opiate high so i kept increasing my xanax intake and now i have dual addictions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:01 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey scorp I get what you're feeling, and the motivation behind wanting to get off Sub. I jumped off Sub and methadone a few times in my early 20's for exactly those reasons. The want to be "free" and to feel normal is really strong, and I feel it at least a couple of times a day.

I'm not gunna say "are you sure you're ready", because really that's a question for you to answer. I'd encourage you to think about whatever decision you choose though and not work off emotions alone - ie what are the benefits to your life from going off it, what are the risks etc.

If / when you end up tapering, I'd encourage you do a slow taper and jump off low. Test out if you get cravings on a very low dose of Sub before going off entirely. If you can handle life on 0.2mg's Sub, handling life without Sub should be easy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:54 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

i am. i am subsisting on .25 mgs now for the next few days and than jumping. The chart scares me though. i pulled up the chart that someone posted about plasma levels etc. But having been on only 4 months as a way of getting the previous almost 8 years of methadone out of my system i hope it is not as bad as going from 45mg of methadone to 4mg of methadone was. than i jumped from methadone to sao for a few days and got on sub as a way of getting methadone out of my body.

S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:20 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

im beginning to wonder if i shouldnt just stop tomorrow with the tiny amounts of suboxone. It has only been 4 months that I have been on it and most of that time was at 1-2mgs. All of the methadone should be out of my system by now. From what I have read on here suboxone w/d is nothing like methadone. But the people who say you dont feel bad until day 4 or 5 is what has me concerned. If I have taken less than 1mg the past 2 days tomorrow if i just dont dose and put my clonidon patch on i wonder if that would intensify the PAWS as Romeo and others have mentioned in other posts. At any rate I feel very antisocial and shut in but i am going to put on a movie after the football game and try and stay hydrated. i have been really hngry the past few days and it seems like the food tatstes better...but that shouldnt be the case with sub should it....maybe it is my body thinking i am going thru methadone or oxy w/d i dunno the mind is a powerful thing

God Speed....

Scorp

Post subject: Quitting
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:33 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey Scorp, IDK how your gonna go, since you've only been off methadone 4months.
For me, and at about your age, my recovery off m/done took a long time and at four months I was still having sleep issues, low energy and anxiety, along with bewildering thought patterns including paranoina, so there may be or not, an overlap of detox's to deal with.
Hopefully it's not gonna be too bad, but knowing the what the deal is with methadone, give yourself plenty of time to allow for the transition.
Keep us in the loop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Honestly, you should be fine jumping at .25mg. It's not going to be as bad as you think.. we build it up in our heads to make it seem like it's going to be so much worse, then we get anxiety from the anticipation. Don't fall into that trap. If tyou really want to jump, jump off now. Spend a week at home watching tv, listening to music, hot baths. 4 months isn't that long.. You might just be surprised how easy it was. The longer you draw it out the less time you have to stabilize before school starts. Good luck to you!

Just know that you will have cravings again, for a pick me up. They sneak up on you. Just be prepared to deal with them and know that they'll go away. Again, don't fall into that trap either. Stay strong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:21 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

thx, tinydancer and stargazer. i know that if i just took a .2mg temgesic(straight dupe) right now i would be ok shortly. but i am going to stick it out i have my clonodin and my xanax and i gave all my sub to my fiancé...

ill keep you guys in the loop. my legs r killing me and i am so cold. i am trying to not to think about it because it reminds me too much of str8 opiate w/d and that will make it even worse....

thx

Scorp