It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:47 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've been off suboxone for coming up on 3-4 weeks. Against the advise of the Doctors I decided to go ahead and cut it straight off. This being a mistake that would eventually lead me to Hell and back. Straight destruction, Hospital visits and nothing short of ripping the house down. The anxiety of being so ill has lead me to recommend never coming off cold turkey. During the hardest part of the withdraws... I did contact my suboxone doctor and his only advise was to come in and get back on it for another year. This ..I coudnt stand hearing .. How could anyone recommend I ever do this again? The side effects of the suboxone outweighed the benefits.
But I"m coming up on almost a month. And although I have my great days. I also have my really bad days. Like today. One of the worse since the most painful part stopped. I'm 100% in full withdraw out of nowhere .. or so it feels like. Is this possible? My anxiety level is at a 90. For the first time .. I wish I could take something to cover this up.
Does anyone know if this is normal? is this something I should call my doctor about even though he only suggests going back on suboxone? Does this ever stop?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Rebeccagirl. I'm sorry you're having so much trouble. As your doctor said, you could go back on sub - JUST in order to taper off - but you have been off it for a month now. But let's back up a bit....Whatever you're going through right now, I just can't imagine it can be any kind of acute physical withdrawals related to going of sub. It's way too long afterward for that to be the case. You should be done with any acute withdrawals by now - at least that's my opinion (and it is just opinion). But what you might be experiencing is PAWS - Post Acute Withdrawals Syndrome. Look it up and you will see that it has a number of symptoms, anxiety I believe being one of them. This is the very reason that people taper off sub. As I started to say above, it is still possible for you to go back on a low dose of sub, as I said, JUST to taper off. You would require a much lower dose than you used to be on, and you could take the necessary time in order to taper off properly. That's one option.
Please understand I am not a doctor, just a faceless, recovering addict on an online forum and this is merely my non-medical opinion. Otherwise I would encourage you to see a doctor and rule out any medical problems. I'm sorry I can't give you better information. Please keep posting, though, and let us know how you're doing. Hang in there!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:13 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Rebecca,

I can't fully relate to what your going through, I am only on day 4 of my jump from 4 mgs of sub. However, I have done extensive reading on the w/d process and I fully %100 believe you WILL get yourself back, you will get past this. So far, with the w/d's symptoms, I've just constantly told myself that I CAN do this and it's helping, at least I believe it is, maybe that's the trick, tell yourself positive things constantly, do not underestimate the power of thought. Also, exercise, walk, swim anything, I've also found that just diving into one of my projects that I enjoy doing has helped tremendously. If there is anything you enjoy doing, that gets you in that mode where time flies by and you don't even know where it went, DO THAT! Another plus is, like you said, this is a very tricky w/d system, one minute your feeling ok the next your at death's door. Live for the next good moment, it too will come. I know the anxiety is bad, I lost a quit over the hopelessness. The only thing different between this quit and my last one is my state of mind, my determination and my support. THIS WILL NOT LAST FOREVER! You have been through so much, fought so hard, if at all possible hold on a little stronger. Unless your health is jeopardized or you need life time maintenance, hold on. Pull out all your guns on this one and fight, fight fight.

Like you, the reason I must stop subs is because the side effects are too much for me to deal with anymore. So I know where your coming from completely. Many people have tried to tell me I'm wrong, but I'm not. I know me, nobody knows me but me and same for you. Only you know how much strength you can muster.

Hope I can give you some motivation! I'm a motivation driven person. If your the type of person who gets motivated from people telling you that you can't or shouldn't or that your wrong for what your doing, you will get some of that from here too. Only listen to the ones that make you feel the best!
I hope you make it!! You've come this far, push a little harder, there will be a good ending, you will begin to feel normal again!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you both so much for your inspiration. This too will pass I know. I've been through worse I know. Coming off suboxone was one of the most painful things..and I know its never wise to go against your doctor but as said in reply I know myself best. I was becoming a skeleton, I needed to be told when to eat. My period disappeared...and thats just scary.. to think that something you are putting in your body is causing these things to happen? One day I took a step back and said.."this is some nasty Sh&t!" But doctors want your success rate up.. There is no one on one basis. In their eyes all addicts are the same.. Running for any pill that we can get near our mouth. When we all have different needs, different reasons for starting to begin with. I felt like just another number.

I did call my doctor and his words were less than inspiring. His only answer was that I did it wrong and to come back in to be tapered off properly. But .. If I have already gone through the chemical withdrawl.. Why would I EVER want to do it again? When I made it through day ONE of complete withdrawl off suboxone.. I knew I would never do this again..One day down and many to go..but I would NEVER re live that day. The thought of getting near suboxone again scares me in fear of reliving that hell. He did tell me that this is all mental. Most likely PAWS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:24 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Rebecca,

I'm sorry that you're still feeling crappy. I quit Sub a year ago, and my experience was that most of the withdrawal was over within the first 30 days and then by 60 days I felt 100% better with no lingering symptoms.

The anxiety that you're feeling might respond to various things. Meditation and exercise are both great for anxiety, as are relaxation exercises and breathing exercises. Staying away from stimulants like caffine can help too. There are also herbs that are good for anxiety; kava and valerian are two of the most well-known.

Most withdrawal symptoms are a result of the sympathetic nervous system going a little crazy. Most doctors will prescribe Clonidine, a non-narcotic medication used for blood-pressure, to combat those symptoms. It also has the benefit of being somewhat sedating, so it can be good for insomnia or anxiety as well.

Hang in there as best you can, and if you Sub doctor continues to be unhelpful you might think about finding another doctor and explaining your situation. Having a supportive doctor can really help get you through the rough patches. I hope you'll be feeling better soon.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:56 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Rebecca,
Sorry about the above bickering, that shouldn't have happened on your post and it wasn't regarding you or anything you said.
I'm also sorry to hear about your weight loss on suboxone, wow, that side effect I did not have, I actually gained weight, about 30 pounds! Or, come to think of it, do you mean your losing weight because of the w/d symptoms? That I can relate to. I've been on a diet for about 1- 2 months and I've lost a large part of the weight I had gained, about 15 lbs of it, but omg it's been such a struggle. However, now that I'm w/d'ing from the subs I'm dropping weight quickly, just in the past five days I've lost 5 lbs. I'm not trying to lose so quickly I've just lost my appetite due to w/d's and yesterday I ate two plums, that's it.

I've had some really bizarre side effects from the subs, one being water, lol I know it sounds crazy but anytime I get in water I get chills and goose bumps, doesn't matter the temp of the water either, so weird. Plus I've been suffering from a strange depression. One where I do not want to leave my house or visit anyone. I stopped answering my phone for a while and my nosey mother about had a heart attack (exageration on my part) she starts calling everyone I know, "why won't she answer that phone?" had my sister calling me, sent multiple emails,one asking, "how much is the ransom?" lol. I can't explain it though, I just did not want to talk to anyone, didn't want to go anywhere, weeks without stepping out the door. Most my family doesn't know about my sub treatment and they never knew about my opiate problem so I don't have a lot of support but my husband has been great. In fact he voluntarily went to sleep in my daughter's room tonight, she's with her grandma for the weekend. The reason he was run off is due to this blasted RLS!!! My LEAST liked symptom!! It's 5:30 a.m and I've been up since 3:am for no other reason than the RLS otherwise I feel fine. Well thanks for listening to my ramble! ha ha
Also, mentionable for anyone who might be reading this and looking for answers to their sub w/d problems, I'd like to mention that I read on the internet earlier while suffering from RLS that a T.E.N.S unit is great for RLS and I was lucky enough to have an empi tens unit so I immediately hunted it down and placed the electrodes on my upper and lower legs (have them on right now) and it's amazing the relief I feel from it. My right leg seemed worse than my left but at this very moment I feel no urge to run around ha ha. I read the relief from using the tens unit can last several days, also read RLS was caused from a dopamine (sp?) deficiency, hummm don't know. BUT this is working great! I'll let you know if it actually works long term or requires nightly use. Anyone interested in knowing follow my thread under "stopping suboxone" it's titled "Cold Turkey"
Try to go back to bed now :|

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Rebecca (and everyone else),

I apologize for contributing to letting your thread get off-topic and for contributing to the conflict that was happening here.

I just wanted to let you know that I've removed the off-topic posts from this thread. They can be found in the Why the Anger section of the forum, here's the link to the new topic:

http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=15259#15259

That said, I really do hope that you are feeling better today. You are right that the withdrawal will pass, and I think you are doing the right thing by seeking support. Take care & please let us know how you're doing.

-Jack Kornfield