It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:06 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hello all. i was on sub 2mg/day for about 7 months. it is a miracle worker for me! no cravings, i pass every drug test thrown at me, overall mood is great. bottom line it is what WORKS for ME, it is what keeps me sober.. but here's the prob...

my sub doc is an overall good and smart guy. lots of personal and professional experience with opiate addiction. however, he does not believe in long term sub maintenance. every monthly appointment i had with him i felt a lot of pressure to get off sub (even the first appt. back after getting prescribed!). he also pressured me a lot to go to na meetings which i hate, and the fact that i didn't go probably added to him wanting me to get off sub. well, i finally gave into all the pressure about a month ago and said i'd get off.

i was given some really great medications and i got through the first 2 weeks of w/d's pretty smoothly. but then. those cravings returned to my life. those damn cravings. i've spent the last 2 weeks texting my old connects with the intention of scoring. luckily for me, they were all dry/plans kept crumbling so i avoided relapse.. but in a way i did relapse because i was GOING to use if they did have stuff.. you know what i mean? anyways, these last 2 weeks of terrible cravings and frustration with myself over almost using again have made me realize i'm much better off on sub. it's smarter for me to be on sub than to not be on sub.

now to my question for you guys, finally: i have an appt. with my sub doc in 3 days. i am very nervous about this appt. because while i know for sure i want to be on sub, i do not think he will be as accepting of this. i fear he will say "tough luck" or "let's give it another month and see how you're doing then". what are some tips on how to talk to him about this so that i make sure i get back on sub and start getting some relief? to be honest, knowing i have this appt. has been the main thing keeping me from going back to using. but i feel like if i walk out of that appt. without a sub script, i am going to give into these cravings. and i don't want that to happen.

thank you for reading!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:31 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome to the forum. Good for you to recognize the need to remain on the sub a while longer. That's not a bad thing in my opinion, and lots of people stay on it for extended lengths of time. If my doctor would have insisted I get off it after 7 months like yours is demanding I know I would have relapsed for certain. I have been on it almost 3 years, but have recently tapered down to .75mg and ready to get off.

Just go to the appointment and be as honest as you possibly can is my suggestion. Look him right in the eye and say something like: "doctor, I realize you think it's time I end my sub therapy, but I simply do not. I know for a fact that if I were off the sub today then tomorrow I would be out trying to find drugs. I'm just not ready right now doctor, and that's the truth. Would you please allow me to remain on it a while longer and I promise when I do feel ready I will immediately inform you of that fact and work towards tapering down my dose at that time. I don't want to be on the subs any longer than necessary, but I know now is not the time to stop it that's for certain".

Choose your own words or use mine, but I truly believe if he is as good a doctor as you think he is then maybe he will understand your concerns and allow you further treatment with the subs.

If he still says no, but gives you another month's worth of sub I would begin tapering down and use as little as possible to extend what sub you do have. You might have to find another sub doctor and explain the situation to them also. Make some calls, explain what's going on and your concerns about stopping the sub right now, and maybe another doctor will take over and be more complient.

That's my suggestion to you right now and hope it helps. Others may have additional suggestions for you. Take care and best wishes. I truly hope it works out for you. Please keep us updated with your progress.

Karen xoxo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:25 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Yeah you gotta do it when YOU want. It took me years to figure that out... Find another doc if you have to,

The other option is stay te course WITH COUNSELING. You're already 30 days out, why not at least try? Just don't beat yourself up if you relapse. Counseling helps immensely for me. Think of it as an experiment. Like the first time taking any drug. 'twas all an experiment right?

I know that pressure to have to make a choice youre not ready to. When I moved my first doc only did 6 mo taper then out. When I found a doc cool with life maintenance I kicked by myself a few months later lol go figure...

Whatever you do I wish you the best of luck. Whichever fork you decide to take, this is just a minor bump and IMO meaningless in the grand scope of life (I mean that in a positive way btw)

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:59 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

update! sigh. just got back from my appt. told him i wanted to get back on subs, that it's what works for me etc etc and basically told me he'd only work with me if i agreed to go to meetings. i said no because i just know i won't go. thankfully, he gave me a couple of names of doctors who can also prescribe suboxone, along with a 7 day suboxone supply to control my cravings while i get an appt with a doctor. it's not the month supply and agreement to continue to prescribe to me but i'll take it. really wish docs would realize meetings don't always work for everyone and can even be counterproductive. suboxone keeps me clean and that's what matters!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:04 pm 

Did he specify that it has to be 12 step meetings? Because there are Smart Recovery meetings that are pretty low key but full of good suggestions. They also don't have a problem with people being on sub. I've enjoyed the ones I've gone to.

Amy