It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Geez, I take off for a couple of weeks to finish a project and just look at this place! :shock:

Who's turn is it to vacuum? Donh? Hatmaker? Diary of a Quitter? Reraise?

And who left their socks on the coffee table? :P

OK, where was I? Oh, yeah, an update from me. Hmm, well, as most of you who already know me are aware, I am probably a lifer on suboxone. Of course, given the state of my Hepatitis C, that may not be all that long, but that's a different story.

My sub doctor has "rewarded" me by announcing that I can now see him every other month instead of every month, since it's now been two years since I got on suboxone and I've demonstrated to him that I am very committed to my recovery. That's a very nice development, because it cuts my cost for the doctor's office visits in half.

For now, he's keeping me on 8mg, but we may end up dialing that down to 6mg because I am not really enjoying the lack of sex drive and neither is my wife. And I know that at the 6mg level, I was very stable, and had a bit more libido than I do now.

In other developments, I am closing in on finishing an album that I have been working on for almost two years and I was recently fortunate enough to secure the services of a semi-famous keyboard player whose involvement will definitely result in the sale of at least 3 or 4 hundred CDs, so we might even break even on the project, which will be nice.

I am also going to be listing my home for sale this weekend and was absolutely THRILLED to learn that my wife and I are now completely DEBT FREE. We still owe some money on our mortgage, but we have a lot of equity in our current home and will be up-sizing considerably.

Anyway, the point of all of this is:

Without Suboxone, NONE of these wonderful things would be happening in my life. I'd be too wrapped around the axle about where my next 100 oxycontin were going to come from to be bothered making music, or getting a better home.

So, for anyone reading this, who is struggling with the misery of active drug addiction, take it from an almost 50 year old life-long dope fiend, this drug CAN and DOES work wonders in the lives of addicts. Other than the relatively minor problem of a slight lack of libido, and some weight gain, I've had no unpleasant or unwanted side effects from taking suboxone, unless you count enjoying life to the fullest again as a side effect.

So, if you're still out there ripping and running, think about trying suboxone, it may WILL change your life for the better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Junkie! It's so good to "see" you back and hear that you're doing so well. It's great that you get to go down to every other month on your doctor's visits. And congrats on upgrading your home.

You're a lot like me in that you're doing very well on sub, no major complaints, and you appreciate what it's allowed you to do with your life. I hope if you do drop your dose down to 6 mg that it helps with that quirky, annoying side effect that seems to get most of us. Again, I'm happy to see you back again. You were missed!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Huzzah! You sound like you're doing great - and that's wonderful to hear.

-Jack Kornfield

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: So gladyou are back!!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:14 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi Junkie,

What a pleasant surprise!! It is SO good to see you back. We really missed you!

I am really happy to hear that you are doing so well. It does not surprise me though, you have sounded pretty solid in your recovery since the time I have been here. I have always enjoyed your posts and I am not sure if you remember me asking you months ago if you had your own thread anywhere, because I jumped in to someone else's thread to make a comment to you about how well you are handling everything in your life, including looking after your mother.

I didn't know you were a musician though. That is awesome! I wouldn't even mind hearing your CD, you can pm me with the name of it, if that's okay.

Iam also doing really well on Sub. It literally saved my life. I was taking massive amounts of oxycontin, more than any doctor would believe and it got to the point that I was both scared to go to sleep at night, because I was not sure if Iwould wake up, to not really caring if I woke up because I was so sick and tired of living the way I was. I honestly thought I was a lost cause. It took me over a year to find a sub doc in Canada, and I was so relieved and for the first time actually had some hope that I could recover. It took me a while to get stable, mostly because I knew more about Sub than my doc, so I was basically on my own as far as dosing. I have been stable since I found this site, and had the guidance of awesome people here like Hatmaker that helped me get through those first months.

I don't really have any side effects from the Sub. Like you the libido is low, but that might have more to do with a husband that drinks far too much. Sub has saved my life, changed my life and now I look forward to waking up instead of dreading it.

I am so happy for you and all the good things that are going on in your life. I really hope you stick around the forum. We really need more people like you here that have had such a positive impact in their life since being on Sub. More people need to know that it does make a difference, that you can live your life again, and that it does get better.

Thanks for starting this thread. I am happy for you and your wife! Sub does work and you are a great example of how life changing it can be.

I'll get my socks off the coffee table, sorry about that!! lol

Ginger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:21 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Junkie,
I don't know you as well as some of the others, only been posting for a few months, but have always enjoyed your comments. It's good to see you back. I have alot of close friends with hep-c, as we all probably do being drug addicts and all. I see what they go through and my heart goes out to you and any one dealing with that. One friend now is on some experimental medication and it's kicking his ass. Just like with addiction, I've seen some friends do very well controlling (that's probably not the right word) the side effects and some amazing recoveries (that's also probably not the right word). Anyway good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:56 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks for the replies, folks! Yeah, I'll be around now, more than I was for the last about 3 weeks. I had a web site project I was working on that had an August 1st deadline, and amazingly, I was able to pull it off, but I had to work about 70 hours per week for three straight weeks to do it, so I was just totally wiped out at the end of each day.

We do need to try to keep the positive reinforcement going here. There are plenty of web sites out there (and I won't mention any by name) where you can go to bash suboxone or read others' comments bashing it. And that's fine. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

But they are NOT entitled to their own facts.

And here are some facts:

Before suboxone, I was swallowing at least 300mg to 500mg of oxycontin every day, more if I could get my hands on it.

Before suboxone, I was a terrible employee at work. I showed up late, I left early, and did very little. Lucky I still have a job.

Before suboxone, my relationship with my wife (who I love more than life itself!) was tense and unstable

Before suboxone, I was constantly either in a state of mild withdrawal, or nodding and puking

Before suboxone, I had absolutely NO motivation to do ANY of the things that bring me joy, including creating and playing music or even walking my little babies (dogs)

Before suboxone, I was miserable, with no hope for the future.

Since getting on suboxone, I have stopped abusing drugs completely, I have once again become the employee that my company hired -a highly motivated and skilled I.T. executive- I have greatly improved my relationship with my wife and now in our tenth year of marriage we're closer than ever, I am never sick or in withdrawal, I now have great interest in and highly enjoy my music endeavors, and I am generally very happy, well adjusted and highly motivated to just get on with living my life.

THAT is what suboxone is all about folks. Getting your life back.

I know there are people lurking here who do not post, who are curious about suboxone, but maybe have bought in to some of the negative hype out there surrounding it, and are afraid to give it a try.

Look at it this way: Is shooting dope or snorting oxy working for you? If it is, then why are you reading this? See what I'm saying?

If you're like me, or even somewhat like me, you just could not stop using drugs no matter what you tried. And if you somehow did manage to stop it was always very briefly and then the drug use came roaring back, stronger than ever. And over time you slowly but surely started taking more chances and doing more things you should not be doing to get those drugs.......sound familiar? I know, it does.

Look, the fact is, you DO NOT have to keep riding that merry-go-round.

I'm almost 47 years old and I have put myself and my life in GREAT jeopardy by using drugs. HepC is incurable, and eventually, fatal. Not everyone survives it. My liver is badly scarred and will likely require replacement some time in the next 5 years. The 20 year life expectancy after such surgery, at my age, is about 70% And while I certainly like to look at the glass as half full, it's hard not to notice that I have a 30% chance of not making it 20 years after my transplant.

Holy wakeup call, batman! :shock:

So, if you're reading this and you're considering taking the plunge into the life of suboxone therapy, I urge you to do it. Please help yourself. Take it from a guy who has been abusing drugs for well over 30 years, if this can work for me, I firmly believe it can work for anyone.