It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:13 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Well first of all, I could not handle the severe w/d symptoms that I was experiencing this past weekend.
So, I obtained 2 Lortabs and a half of a green-colored oxy, all of which I had snorted in about 2 hours.
I was also drinking vodka at the time.

Anyway, Friday night, I texted my sub doc about what was going on; and he called me in two 8 mg subs-
with 2 re-fills: I now have to pay cash for my subs. Two 8 mg Suboxone tabs cost me $17.53.
I am dosing 1/4 of an 8 mg pill every day- that is all that I can really afford to pay for right now.

I will stop the sub 24 hours before it is time for my upcoming gall bladder surgery on the 20th.

And then, I see my sub doc next on Jan. 16th.

The only way that I could really afford to pay for more sub- is if I would get rid of my internet connection;
but I am just not ready to do that. (I do have a laptop and could take it over to the library- they do have
free wi-fi over there. However, I really won't be able to do much moving around for a little while after I get
my surgery done- and I know that I will definitely want access to the internet while I'm recovering.)

I realize that 2 mg of sub is *under* the "ceiling"; and that my receptors are not really being "saturated"
at this dosage- but this is the best that I can do right now, with being on a low, fixed, monthly income.

Thanks for letting me share,

-ex-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:31 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Ex, I am sorry you are struggling but want to commend you for stopping the lapse and getting back on sub so quickly.

Did Medicaid completely cut you off from your sub or are you appealing and waiting for a review? I hope it's the latter and you will have your sub covered again. Is your Dr open to the idea of generic Subutex? It costs about 60% less than Suboxone. Also the CVS has a discount script card they can sign you up for that helps a little too.

I know you said you could turn off your internet but another thought is you could have a garage sale or sell some stuff on eBay? That is if you have some items with value that you could do without. We tend to think of things in terms of monthly expenses and what we'd have to cut out but a lot of us have things we could live without and forget they could be a source of extra cash. I got all of my "junk" together prior to moving and had a garage sale. I made around $700. This may sound like an odd suggestion but I am just trying to think of anything possible that could help you.

I hope the idiots at Medicaid get their heads out of their asses!

Post subject: @ Breezy_Ann :)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:48 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Breezy_Ann wrote:
Hi Ex, I am sorry you are struggling but want to commend you for stopping the lapse and getting back on sub so quickly.

Did Medicaid completely cut you off from your sub or are you appealing and waiting for a review? I hope it's the latter and you will have your sub covered again. Is your Dr open to the idea of generic Subutex? It costs about 60% less than Suboxone. Also the CVS has a discount script card they can sign you up for that helps a little too.

I know you said you could turn off your internet but another thought is you could have a garage sale or sell some stuff on eBay? That is if you have some items with value that you could do without. We tend to think of things in terms of monthly expenses and what we'd have to cut out but a lot of us have things we could live without and forget they could be a source of extra cash. I got all of my "junk" together prior to moving and had a garage sale. I made around $700. This may sound like an odd suggestion but I am just trying to think of anything possible that could help you.

I hope the idiots at Medicaid get their heads out of their asses!

Hi, Breezy_Ann! Thanks for your kind words and your suggestions.

Anyway, to answer one of your questions- the last that I have heard about my case/ whatever you want to call it- is that my sub doc had submitted proof of me being in counseling via fax to Medicaid; and he just said to wait it out.
However, I just might give Medicaid a phone call to see where this is going/ what they are going to do.

As well, I really must talk to my sub doc about generic Subutex- is it REALLY 60% less in cost??

Secondly, I really do not have anything of value to sell. But- I do appreciate your suggestion; and I am really glad that it had worked out so well for you! :)

I am just thinking that, after 6+ years of Medicaid having covered my subs, that they probably think that I really do not "need" them anymore- but who knows what they really think or how they run things these days!

Whatever the case may be, I know that I need to be on them- even if I am "below the ceiling" or whatever it is.

Thanks,

-ex-

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I hate that insurance companies try to play Dr. If you Dr is prescribing you sub (or any med) then it should be covered. Clearly your Dr feels you still need the med and that should be good enough.

I used to be prescribed the film and would get 60 8mg strips a month. I pay cash and it would cost me just shy of $500 a month. After talking to my Dr about the expense he switched me to generic Subutex and that same script now costs me around $210. Yes, there is a significant savings.

Another thing is that I feel much better on the generic . I didn't even really realize I was having some side effects from the naloxone until I was switched. So I am extremely happy with the switch. It's way cheaper and imo works much better.

Keep us posted and I really hope you get this all figured out sooner rather than later!

Post subject: thanks, Breezy_Ann :)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:09 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

OK, I have just left a message with my sub doc, explaining my situation, and letting him know
that generic Subutex IS available for 60% less than what I'm paying now- and asking him if
he would be willing to Rx me the generic Subutex- so I am awaiting his reply as I type this.
So, we shall see how this ends up- hopefully by the end of today.

Thank you so much for letting me know about the generic Subutex- I had no clue about them
until you just told me about them.

-ex-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Your welcome and I'm glad I could help. I hope you Dr will switch you, being his patient for 6 years should count for something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Breezy-Ann,
Do you mind me asking what side effects you think you suffered from the naloxone? Just wondering how subutex would differ from the side effects of suboxone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:06 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey i know you posted this awhile ago but medicaid should cover your suboxone (non generic) i dont know what state you are in but where i live all i had to do was sign a form and the office manager submitted the form showing i got a drug test and i am in counsling it took about 3 days for my pre-authorization and now my sub film 8mg is covered except for a small copay. maybe there are options for u . * as a side note i feel bad medicaid is paying for it , i ve always worked up until 2 months ago and i stay home and raise my son while my boyfriend works... i plan on going back to work once ive completed treatment, i'm not abusing the system at all, but if i did not have medicaid i would not be able to afford to be in treatment and i would be far worse off. so best of luck too.. even though this is a little late.