It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:02 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I was on subutex for 3 yrs due to pain medicine dependency before my L3 back fusion and scoliosis surgery (straighten my spine) I had to have to different surgeries, first incision through the front of my tummy to straighten my spine May 17th, 2012 and the 2nd surgery was incision through my back for my 3L fusion disc L3, L4 and L5 on May 21st, 2012. A few months before surgery I switched from subutex to pain meds because of my severe pain...I am currently still taking percocet for my severe pain however as soon as my pain subsides a little I want to switch back to subutex. Being on pain medicine scares the hell out of me because of my previous addiction although I'm not abusing it, physically opiates are very hard to come off of.
My question how long do I have to wait after taking a pain pill to start my subutex? My normal amount of subutex I was on before surgery was 2mg. and that would last me 4 to 5 days (a very small amount)

I'm a bit confused because I have taken a pain pill while being on subutex in the past and nothing happened but after reading all these scary withdrawls post, I would never want that to happen...any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Suzi :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

HI SUZI

no wonder your nervous, reading horror stories on the net, will do that to ANYbody!!!

well, you only need to be in 'moderate' withdrawl, to make sure you will bypass precipitated w/d , before taking your subutex agian. Yes, it is funny that you can take an opiate, WHILE on bupe, and nothing really happens, but NOT the other way around.

So, you can use the "COWS" scale to help 'gauge' how bad your w/d is, or you can just wait til you are ready for relief. With a short-acting opiate like percocets, it really should be okay after 24 hours ,, thats like a 'worse case' scenerio, theres plenty of people that have started their bupe agian, after 12 hours.

So, maybe I confused you more, maybe I helped????
http://www.emcdda.europa.eu/attachement ... N_COWS.pdf

heres a link to the scale, in case you go that route. at the bottom it lists scores, so as long as you hit moderate w/d, you should be good to start your bupe again.

Best of luck to you

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:52 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you so much for all your info...I will keep you posted when I switch to subutex, my pain is still pretty severe.

Thank you,
Suzi

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey suzi,

Just wanted to drop in and wish you luck with your re-induction. Many people who've had surgery and had to go back on pain meds for awhile were SO ready to get back on their sub treatment. I recall most of them being very pleased when they got back on sub. No more ups and downs from the full agonists.

I hope it all goes smoothly and your pain subsides soon. Good luck and feel better soon.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.