It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Back for more....
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello all...

I have been a member of this forum in the past. I changed email accounts and lost my password so had to create a new profile. My old user name was Qhorsegal.

I have not posted in a long time so just to update everyone. I am currently prescribed 2mg per day. When I began the program exactly one year ago this month I started with 8mg once per day. I have come a long way, but I have been far from perfect. I have had alot of trouble with my taper and have run out of meds early several times.

Well this past month was terrible. I went out of town for a whole month to take care of a family member and did not stick to my prescribed dose and have just been through 7 days of withdrawal hell. Honestly it caught me a little off guard because I really didn't expect the withdrawal to be so bad coming from such a low dose. Now my doctor has told me if I run out early again I will be kicked out of the program... and I have been given only 3 months to complete my taper. So I am kind of freaking out. My husband went with me to this last appointment and he is in control of giving me my meds from now on. So I know I will be able to stick to the proper dosage. I am just scared to death now that I am going to feel like I just did when I finish my taper.

Honestly, if I have to go through this again I'm not sure if I can make it. I am so sick of being sick, any encouragement out there? I have to get clean....but crap it is so hard!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:59 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

hey. i remember u. i joined approx. the same time u did. i really have wondered about u. i tried to taper back last july and only could get down to 4 but that did not last and now am back to 8-14 mgs . so just wanting u to know i totally feel u on being scared of this taper. i am soo glad u came back to post because my journey has now just been one year. and if u are at 2mg and u say the w/d was bad at that low. idk alot to ponder. i am WISHING u the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi wishy,

I just responded to your reply on my other post too but I wanted to just clarify something here. I only started feeling real withdrawal after a couple days off of the meds. I had been prescribed 3mg the month before I went on vacation and then he dropped me to 2mg but I didn't stick with it. I was still taking 3mg per day most days until I ran out. So really I quit cold turkey at about 3mg. Not a good idea. :)

I have had a hard time tapering because the subs for me never really took care of my cravings. Even at the full 8mg I was still craving some and when I started dropping my dose it just got worse. Ideally I would love to stay on it longer but reality is I can't find another doctor who has room in their treatment program. My goal was to come off it anyway so I am just trying to make the best of the situation. I wish now that I had tried a little bit harder to get some good quality treatment in place before I started tapering but I just thought I would be ok. Now I am realizing how hard this is going to be to stay sober once my safety net is gone. The past few days I have really been encouraged though. Even though I know it will be hard it will be ok. If I stick to the taper plan then I don't think the withdrawal will be that bad. It was just stupid of me to think I could do it from 3mg.

Anyway, I just didn't want you to think that you couldn't do it if you want to. I was just in a bad place this month taking care of family and just lost sight of my own recovery. I got dumb and it came back and bit me. I am back on the horse now and I'm just going to cowgirl up and get it done.

Thanks for the response though, glad to hear from you!