It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Back on my feet!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:09 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I've been addicted to painkillers for 5 years now. I went from using a few times a month in the beginning to using heavily every day. Either I was very high, or very sick, but never anything in between.

After overdosing last August I checked myself into rehab. It lasted a month before I relapsed. Several months later I tried and failed again. Recently my usage was getting out of hand again and the mental anguish of being so sick had me thinking extremely dark thoughts, which is out of character for me. I got so scared by what I was thinking that I found myself a therapist who I gelled with, and incidentally, he recommended Suboxone as an option.

I did lots of research to get the facts under my belt and then contacted a Sub clinic. They started me on subs along with several group meetings and a one on one every week. This was three weeks ago.

The last 3 weeks have been the most eye opening 3 weeks I can remember. I'm doing all the things I used to love doing again. Riding my motorcycle, flying RC planes, building models, shooting compound bows. I wake up early and have full days. I communicate with my family and loved ones in an honest and straight forward fashion. I'm not 'scheming' like I used to.

To summarize, I feel the way I used to feel before I fell off. My anxiety is under control, my cravings are almost zero, and I'm able to do the work to start sorting out what got me in so deep in the first place. In my personal experience, subs helped me get my act together enough to see what damage I was doing to myself and others. I'm on top of my game now, and ready for the long fight that is a life of being an addict. I know I would never have gotten this far with out the subs, and I'm looking forward to being an active member of this forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi WarDialer, welcome to the forum.

It makes me so happy to hear positive stories like yours. Feeling normal again really makes you realize just how awful things were before, huh?

Getting back into your old hobbies is a great thing to do. Boredom is your enemy, for real. Keeping busy and finding new ways to enjoy yourself are important steps to take toward recovery. I also think it's great that you view Sub as a tool to help you get your life together. It's important to do that work.

I look forward to seeing you around. Keep posting - having a supportive community of people who know what it's like to be on Sub/in recovery is a great resource.

-Jack Kornfield