It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

It's been several years since I first began Suboxone treatment and back then there weren't places like this so readily available. I think I had an 800 number to call if I had questions, but beyond that Suboxone was still brand new and, if I remember correctly, the 8 mg pills were all that was available.

It's nice to see a real, non-corporate sponsored resource for people new (or old) to Sub treatment. I have been off and on Sub for about eight years total now, and clean for nearly six years. I've found it very difficult to completely stop, but I've been in the twilight of my Sub career for the last two of these six clean years. I pick up 15 of the 8 mg. strips every 62 days, which totals about 1/5th of a strip per day. It's an insignificant amount and at this point isn't doing much physically, but the emotional hurdle of stopping completely and staying clean for life has been hard to get over.

The research and opinion of this drug has changed so drastically since it's inception that I'm totally lost as to what the mainstream doctors believe now, and I haven't had contact with another Sub user in years now, so I don't even know what doctors are telling new patients. This is the question portion of my post. What is the consensus on Sub for short and long-term use? Do people still take Subutex? Are the orange pills still available, or is it all strips now? And how far off is a real generic alternative to the brand Suboxone (not Subutex)?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:56 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Nanner,

I'm sorry nobody has answered your post yet. I think maybe nobody really felt qualified to answer your questions, but I'm going to assume you only wanted to hear personal experience and go with that.

As for how doctors are treating new patients now a days...in my area most doctors are going with short term only. The general concensus seems to be to keep patients in treatment for about a year. Starting with a maintenance dose of 8-16mgs for about 6 months and then slowly tapering from there. We have at least one excellent doctor in the area who believes in long-term use, but I have found him to be the exception and not the rule.

As for the availability of a generic...that has been out there for at least a few months, in pill form. I believe there are at least 3 or 4 different brands available. As of now, they seem to be running about the same in price as the suboxone name brand pills/strips. But I'm sure we will start to see prices coming down soon.

I'm not positive if the name brand "little orange pill" is still being offered. I think RB has discontinued the making of these in favor of their strips when the patent ran out on the pill form. The only time I received the pill form was in the office on the day of induction. Every prescription I have had filled has been for the strips.

Maybe some others will come along now and give their own experiences and correct any misinformation I have given.

Q

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:54 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the response, I probably shouldn't have sounded so official or something haha. I was indeed looking for the opinions of common-folk like me, not necessarily doctors or pros.

I remember hearing the patent was running out on the pills now that you mention it, and that makes perfect sense they went to strips as a way of keeping their name brand on the medication. I imagine generic strips are next and then RB will find a new delivery method. The pills though, I haven't heard anything about that, but I'm not surprised. My doctor is a very good doctor, and the only good Sub doctor in this part of the state honestly. But he has deals with RB I'm sure because he keeps giving me a RB prescription card to use at the pharmacy and it knocks about 40% of the price as long as he writes it for over one month. We had to shimmy the rules a little because I went down low enough that 15 strips is a two months supply. He is cool like that.