It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:05 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I had posted on here a few times and talked to some good people. I was on my way tapering off subs. To get to the point, a good family friend of mine died in a car accident the night before my stepfather took his own life. It was a rough week to say the least. Of course I turned to pills for my grieving. Which you guessed started the whole cycle all over. Anyways I got my hands on quit a few oxy and took them for 2 weeks straight then did like 6mg sub the first day, then 3mg the second day and like 1 the third. I'm on day seven clean of all opiates. I took xanax the first couple nights to help sleep. But up until today I've been smoking a lot of pot too. I just want to say the first few days of physical wd is just the beginning. Not trying to discourage anyone but please be prepared to have to learn how to do everything in your life without the drugs. Its hard but the way I see it, 7 days is a lot to have to go through again. Stay positive people and really want to stay clean.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:09 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I didn't mean to seem like I'm out of the woods yet, because I'm far from it. But day 7 feels a lot better than day 6. Makes you feel that it can only keep getting better

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:22 pm 

First of all, I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend and your stepfather. Sudden death is so very difficult to deal with and I'm sure that many of us would be tempted to use to take away the pain.

Your larger point is a good one. Many forum members, and especially the ones who just came here to taper, seem to think that the taper and the detox from suboxone is the hard part. They talk as though after they are back to feeling better off all opioids they have won the war against opioid addiction, when really it's only one of the battles. If they haven't worked on their recovery, they will be without coping skills when bad things inevitably happen.

It's just this scenario that prompt so many of us to continue a daily dose of buprenorphine. Our opioid addiction will always be lurking until the day we die. Some of us appreciate the safety net that suboxone provides. Some only appreciate that safety net when they relapse.

Thank you so much for sharing your story and for giving us the opportunity to warn others of what they may be facing without having worked on their recovery. My sincere condolences.

Amy