It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Re: Baby in NICU for NAS
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:28 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi naturelover88 , I'm sooo sorry to hear that you are going through the same thing. The fact that he's taking his weans very well, seems like he will be out before you know it. My son was 2 weeks old and had only been able to be weaned once, and we were there for about 6 weeks total. They start all babies at the same dose relative to their weight, and since our little boys are about the same weight at birth, I would imagine they started your little guy at the same dose. My son ultimately had to have clonidine added to the morphine which added 6 more days to his stay. It doesn't look like your son will have to have the clonidine since he has been able to be weaned, so there's something there! I know how hard it is and how bad you wish you could be 2 places at once, (in the hospital with one child, at home with the rest) and once again I'm sorry you're going through this too. But you know, once it's over, it's like a tiny blip in your history. My son has been out for about a week and a half, and it's soooo weird how the NICU, and the Ronald McDonald House where we were staying at are like a distant memory. Once you bring him home, it's like he was there all along and you get into a routine and it really is like that time flew by, I don't know how to explain it, but I've been there twice! You will get through this and come out so much stronger for it! I was always worried that my son would be confused as to who his momma was (silly, I know) but nope! Congratulations on your sweet little boy! And don't worry too much while he's in there, just do your time and Pump! Pump! Pump! Don't give up on the breastfeeding because it's sooooooo hard not to when you have to exclusively pump and you're not always with your baby. The nurses there said most moms give up within a couple weeks, but it's totally worth sticking with it. Please let me know how he does! And brittanne09, it's so easy to worry and stress about what could or might happen, and all the what-ifs associated with those feelings, but try not to stress yourself out about it. You are doing the best you can for your baby, and no matter if he needs treatment or not, you'll get through it just fine and when you're done you'll have your precious new baby! And like I said, the time drags by when you're there, but the second you bring him home the experience really does disappear somewhere to the back of your brain lol Our babies are worth the extra time in the hospital if that's what it takes to being them into the world and ultimately home. But I gotta say it again: don't stress about him needing treatment for NAS which may or may not happen (I know, easier said than done) Also I thought I should mention I just got the letter in the mail from CPS saying our "case" is officially closed! It took about a month from beginning to end for them to do their thing and close our case, so for everyone worried about children services, as long as you are prescribed your subutex, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. I hope this helps someone else that comes along and reads that sentence, because I worried so much that it almost cost me my milk supply and I'm still on medicine to this day (Reglan) to try to rebuild it. Hang in there mamas! You are doing great! And lauraczar I'm glad the subutex is helping you as much as it has me. I know I can't really function without it! Subutex has been a total lifesaver for me and I'm glad you have that piece of mind, too! Take care ladies and gents, and I'm always more than happy to hear your stories and answer any questions! Sorry for the late update, I meant to do this way sooner but my babies keep me BUSY ha ha ha

Last edited by Arlica on Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Baby in NICU for NAS
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:40 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Oh, also naturelover88 mine was a little easier since he did have some other issues to begin with and he was actually sent to the NICU for breathing issues and he ended up with MRSA while he was in the hospital. The hospital he was at won't release any baby if they have anything however minor going on, even absent the NAS. I guess it's because if something minor turns into something major after the baby goes home, the hospital would be liable. In fact we were supposed to go home 2 days earlier but got held up because he had a small fever. They keep babies for things like reflex and improper (or lack of) weight gain because of it, so you can always say he lost his initial weight that every baby loses at first, but kept losing weight that he's not gaining back and they are really concerned about that. I would say he keeps losing weight some days and they don't want to release him until he is gaining weight steadily and is healthy enough to leave. This should work with your church friends who aren't going to the hospital to visit him up close and personally. Hope this helps!