It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:38 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Was so worried my whole pregnancy about being on subutex... tapered from 16mg to about 4-8mg at the end. Wanted to share my birth story because I know others helped me when I was pregnant.

Had my baby on the 21st at 4:00am. I had, with the knowledge of my sub doc, not told my obgyn or hospital about subutex but was ready to if needed. Just my personal choice. We got discharged that same day believe it or not and baby seemed fine. Over the next two days I did notice excessive sneezing, maybe some muscle stiffness, and its hard to say but maybe one or two loose bowel movements. She still does need to be held a lot more than my son did but that may have nothing to do with the subutex. She latched on perfectly right after birth and eats well and sleeps well. Now she's 4 days old and all those small symptoms seem to be gone and I'm very happy with my decision to not say anything. The amount of relief I feel is huge after worrying for 9 months.

Hope this helps out someone out there who is worried like I was and is choosing not to say anything.

Post subject: happy for you
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:26 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Congrads on your bundle of joy. Happy your baby is fine and all is well. I'm sure your story will be alot of help to others. Thanks for sharing enjoy the baby and being sober,
mel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:21 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Congrats and thanks for sharing your story! Another success story of a mother staying on sub. I'm SO happy it turned out so well for you. :) BE HAPPY!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:29 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Congratulations on your new baby, and I totally respect your decision not to disclose based on some of the unnecessary BS that some new mothers have had to endure just for being on Sub. Don't forget, breastfed babies often have loose stools, so don't worry about that. I'm so glad she is healthy and you all are happy.
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:47 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Congratulations! I agree with Lilly and understand why you did not tell your ob. This is such an exciting, happy time. Enjoy your beautiful baby girl!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Congratulations Calebsmom123.
That is so wonderful. What a presious time in your life. I believe you made the right decision for you & your baby. I myself had my babies at home (I was not on sub. at the time) because of the things they do in the hosp. that I feel are completely un necessary. I also believe the placenta filters out so much of what we moms ingest before it goes into our babys system. That is one of the main functions of the placenta.
This post will help so many other expecting moms that are in the same position. So glad you shared your experience.
Just curious if breastfeeding, how much of the medication actually gets into the system of the baby. I was on mega doses of opiates (perscribed) while breastfeeding & I did not notice any adverse effects on my baby and he was my 3rd. Blessings to you & the new babe.... :D

Post subject: Thank you!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:33 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you guys so much, this site has been amazing for me even though I have not posted until now, the women on here and all the support they give other women is awesome. And sweet16 I was told (and somebody correct me if I'm wrong) that .02 of every 2mg or something along those lines actually make it into babies system. With my son I nursed but I also gave some formula so that may be correct that her stools are a little more loose just because of only breastmilk being in her system, but it did worry me for a second there. People can give pregnant moms who are on subutex all the judgment they want but my daughter who I took subutex with is healthier so far than my son who I took nothing with. I debated for months on to tell them or not but I know that if I would of said something there would be a good chance my baby would still be at the hospital because she possibly sneezed a few extra times, and I just wasn't willing to risk that. Sad that this is how it is still for moms on subutex. Thanks again for the support and I really hope this gives hope to other pregnant moms that it can turn out ok if you chose to stay on the subutex. I tried tapering for months to try to get off and it was miserable so I decided finally to just relax, stay as low as comfortably I could go, and try to be as healthy as possible and it seemed to work.

Going to go snuggle with my completely healthy withdrawal free baby now :D